Jaylon, the pass rusher

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Common knee injuries don't affect longevity. Those with serious cartilage damage do. Jalen Ramsey, John Ross are guys that have had microfracture, they're longevity might be an issue.
You don't know what you are talking about. I have had minor knee surgery and even just that was enough for it to never be the same. His longevity is most certainly not what it would have been had his knee injury never occurred.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You don't know what you are talking about. I have had minor knee surgery and even just that was enough for it to never be the same. His longevity is most certainly not what it would have been had his knee injury never occurred.
Yeah, because you're knee issues means pro athletes with the best medical help in the world have the same issues. His knee is fine, just like many, many others who have had common knee surgery.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do Wilson and Hitchens round out the linebacker group? If so, where might this group project among all time linebacker groups?
If Healthy, Jaylon Smith could:
Be the best Pass Rushing DE on the current roster.
Be the best MLB in the Jerry era.
Be better than Barry Church as a SS.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Torn ACLs are actually stronger after surgery. The rehab must be done correctly. Most non-Pro-Athlete rehab falls short of perfection.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to question his bend after this injury. Before he actually seemed to have some, but if you can't even feel your foot, how can you bend at the ankles like elite pass rushers do on every down.

I would love to use him like a Von Miller. We are still stuck on the foot though.

Yes, that's why I said if healthy. I have no idea how the nerve issue is going to affect him. My guess is that running forward and cutting while not blocked will be fine. My concerns are when he is engaged with a blocker and if he can back-peddle.

I agree that trying to "bend" the corner as a pass rusher might be the most difficult thing to do if the nerve does not come back to near 100%.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Torn ACLs are actually stronger after surgery. The rehab must be done correctly. Most non-Pro-Athlete rehab falls short of perfection.
My skepticism remains. I know the hard work I put into my own rehab.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
you did not have the best sports medicine tech and guidance in the world.
I feel like everyone thinks all Doctors, surgeries, and rehabilitation programs were created equally, they weren't.... im willing to bet his medical costs have been 2-3 times what anyone on the board can afford.

diefree666

Reaction score
I feel like everyone thinks all Doctors, surgeries, and rehabilitation programs were created equally, they weren't.... im willing to bet his medical costs have been 2-3 times what anyone on the board can afford.
a lot more than that. Each time now employs personnel that are there only to help with rehab and recovery from injuries. That is their sole job. THAT kind of attention when added to the very best medical care money can buy is a HUGE difference from normal people. Then add to that we are talking athletes who are like the .0001% of the population.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
His nerve injury only involved the peroneal nerve which effected his ability to lift up the foot and possibly stability in the ankle. And that is what is improving since the nerve started to fire.

I might've exaggerated a bit, but I still worry about his ability to bend around the edge.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Jaylon had 4.5 sacks, 284 tackles, and 1int in his college career (3 years) at Notre Dame
Sean Lee had 11 sacks, 313 tackles, and 3 ints in his college career (3 years) at Penn State

image.png

image.png

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Your personal anecdote is meaningless.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Good thing this is not about you. You are intractable; this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Fuzzy...he was a Vet of 20 years in the Air Force. His makeup is understandable...and survival is a tough task maker.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only remaining question is will Smith's knee hold up for the rough and tumble of NFL competition.
There shouldn't be any reason to think it won't. From the time it was injured until he hits the field for training camp will be 18 months.

diefree666

Reaction score
Jaylon had 4.5 sacks, 284 tackles, and 1int in his college career (3 years) at Notre Dame
Sean Lee had 11 sacks, 313 tackles, and 3 ints in his college career (3 years) at Penn State

image.png

image.png

ND was pathetically coached on D most of Jaylon's career. He truly was wasted there.

gmoney112

Reaction score

My gf was operated on by Cooper (the Cowboys doc, he did Jaylons stuff) + follow ups and rehab schedule.

It was half a million dollars. Parents were federal employees so they had the insurance to cover it.

Good chunk of change.