Video: Jeff Cavanaugh Full Cowboys draft analysis | Needs, wants, criticisms, meanderings and musings

Stak78

Reaction score
Instead of the 25 year old rookie TE with virtually no stats they could have picked a likely starting LG in Torrance or a Devon Achane that could have eventually replaced Tony Pollard or at very least contributed as an offensive weapon splitting carriers with Pollard. Hopefully Vaughn can bring some juice to the offense.

stiletto

Reaction score
I always get the feeling Cavanaugh is on a lot of drugs for mental health or whatever. (he talks about therapy and medication so..I get it)..Clearly a "Beta-male" but I hope he is OK because I actually think sometimes he is very insightful. He also seems afraid to take a true position on anything. He spouts stuff and ends up all over the place. When he does take a position, he always says "Well I've been wrong a lot". Anyone can say that about anything...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I always get the feeling Cavanaugh is on a lot of drugs for mental health or whatever. (he talks about therapy and medication so..I get it)..Clearly a "Beta-male" but I hope he is OK because I actually think sometimes he is very insightful. He also seems afraid to take a true position on anything. He spouts stuff and ends up all over the place. When he does take a position, he always says "Well I've been wrong a lot". Anyone can say that about anything...
Hold on what makes him a beta male lol?

Kwyn

Reaction score
Tell me about your mother, Stilleto. You seem to have some animosity toward her.

stiletto

Reaction score

DanA

Reaction score
I don’t agree with the EPA comment regarding run defense. Not the stat but the conclusion. We’ve got some ballers making plays on the d-line, but it was clear as day 1Tech play was lacking and needed to be addressed. A big part of that helps just the run but above that Micah was winning time and again off the edge and there was simply too much space for the QB to step up into the pocket. It hurt his numbers hugely IMO.

I agree with the Left Guard stuff though. I can only assume they didn’t rate Torrence all that highly or they plan to address it in FA because to my thinking that’s the biggest issue this team faces.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks BP good analysis except Mazi will be much more than a run stopper. Pressure up the middle makes Parsons and co. even more effective.
ALSO THANKS BP FOR ALL YOUR WORK DURING THE DRAFT!!

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
After the Cooks trade G and DT were the 2 biggest weaknesses to me. Dam has to more production out of the running game to affective so I am a bit surprised they didn’t do anything to address the hole at LG.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I like the comments on Schoon.
One that I haven't heard from others - only 500 yards college career production.
But if Michigan ran 60% of the time....those 500 (600) yards are not indicative of ability it's that is wasnt utilized. The stat about him having the second highest slant receptions (behind Bowers) indicates that the limitations are potentially due to the scheme.

Lets be fair Cavanaugh loves small slot receivers and I bet his judgement is based on preferring that style of player.....its the problem of picking pet cats and not having the benefit of understanding (or having to pick for specific schemes). Im sure he'd play 4 man WR with two small slot's on most downs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
After the Cooks trade G and DT were the 2 biggest weaknesses to me. Dam has to more production out of the running game to affective so I am a bit surprised they didn’t do anything to address the hole at LG.
Well yes we have to be more productive in the run game......and as it was in effect Torrence vrs Schoonmaker, its clearly evident that we preferred a more mobile run blocking scheme rather than Torrence's foot plant and maul. It would of been interesting if the pick at 58 was Avila/Bergeron/Schoonmaker .....in that scenario it could well/ probably was the LG.....but drafts dont go as planned/hoped.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
They clearly valued TE over LG at 58. Schoonmaker is getting a lot of hate. I will wait to see what he does on the field… if he is a viable starting TE and is an upgrade over Schultz, then I don’t see what the fuss is about.

It’s pretty clear they are fine with Tyler Smith playing LG this season and trusting they will get some decent play from Tyron.

They added Richards and Bostick to the mix for depth at OT and think highly of Waletzko as the swing… so if that approach works, drafting a LG was going to only be for depth, as he would not be pushing Smith to the bench.

Add in Ball and Chuma to the G depth and you can see the coaches are fine with drafting a starting TE over a depth G at that point in the draft.

Is Schoonmaker a quality starting TE? Time will tell. His RAS is really good, and his coaches love his mindset and work ethic. He was in a run first program, so his production wasn’t flashy, but if he can be an “all arounder” for Dallas, I think this pick is fine.

Time will tell.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They clearly valued TE over LG at 58. Schoonmaker is getting a lot of hate. I will wait to see what he does on the field… if he is a viable starting TE and is an upgrade over Schultz, then I don’t see what the fuss is about.

It’s pretty clear they are fine with Tyler Smith playing LG this season and trusting they will get some decent play from Tyron.

They added Richards and Bostick to the mix for depth at OT and think highly of Waletzko as the swing… so if that approach works, drafting a LG was going to only be for depth, as he would not be pushing Smith to the bench.

Add in Ball and Chuma to the G depth and you can see the coaches are fine with drafting a starting TE over a depth G at that point in the draft.

Is Schoonmaker a quality starting TE? Time will tell. His RAS is really good, and his coaches love his mindset and work ethic. He was in a run first program, so his production wasn’t flashy, but if he can be an “all arounder” for Dallas, I think this pick is fine.

Time will tell.
:hammer:........ this continual fan indignation that we didnt take Torrence over Schoonmaker just goes to show us amateur drafters have no idea other than seeing BPA to fill positions even if they dont fit in schematically. The choice of Avila/Bergeron/Schoonmaker may have given a different pick, but even a rank amateur, like myself, can see that we are planning on a: more mobile blocking, pull and lead blocking game rather than a plant feet and maul approach which Torrence appears to excel in.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hard to respect his opinion on the Run D from a guy would admittedly pass on every down.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They see the TE like SF saw Kittles, who only had 48 catches for 737 yards at Iowa in 4 years.
That looks a similar or at least comparible scenario to us with Schoonmaker, both teams identifying potential in a player playing a scheme that doesn't fully utilize's his abilities.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That looks a similar or at least comparible scenario to us with Schoonmaker, both teams identifying potential in a player playing a scheme that doesn't fully utilize's his abilities.
We can only hope it pans out the same way!

MikeB80

Reaction score
But if Michigan ran 60% of the time....those 500 (600) yards are not indicative of ability it's that is wasnt utilized. The stat about him having the second highest slant receptions (behind Bowers) indicates that the limitations are potentially due to the scheme.

Lets be fair Cavanaugh loves small slot receivers and I bet his judgement is based on preferring that style of player.....its the problem of picking pet cats and not having the benefit of understanding (or having to pick for specific schemes). Im sure he'd play 4 man WR with two small slot's on most downs.
This is interesting. I haven't looked very deep into this but did he have less production than Sean McKeon in college at michigan in the same role? McKeon caught 60 passes for 668 yards and 6 touchdowns.