Video: Jeff Cavanaugh Full Cowboys draft analysis | Needs, wants, criticisms, meanderings and musings

visionary

Reaction score
You can prioritize DT play. That’s fine.

You just don’t draft run stuffers with premium picks.

Mazi being more than a run stuffer is nothing but a projection.

His athleticism points to him being able to do it but if all you end up with is a 2 down player then you made a bad pick.

You don’t need to spend premium picks to stop the run.

The best run defense is scoring points anyways.
I do think that Mazi will not just be a NT and does have ability to collapse the pocket and get after the QB
You and I see things differently
Let’s agree to disagree

cnuball21

Reaction score
Jeff can be a little quirky and annoying at times but I feel like he’s pretty spot on here. He leans a little more BPA like I do so if your thing is to lean need you probably won’t like his viewpoint.

Feel like we had the priorities stacked incorrectly and reached for need on top of that which was my big frustration.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Jeff has spent a lot of time in getting better at this scouting stuff but it's still in its infancy compared to people who have learned the hard lessons.

Various:
Schoon may be a total bust but he is an athletic profile significantly better than ANY TE on the roster and in the top 1% of ALL TEs.
If you go back to Travis Kelce he had 1 year of collegiate production at Cincy.
But he had these insane measurables.
The modern TE is a measurables guy.
A match up nightmare.
And we can talk about lack of production, but he has the best blocking tape of any TE in the class.
Watching him absolutely crush Jack Campbell tells me all I need to know in that arena.

Here's the thing - how many sacks did Micah have in college? How many of you were excited about an off-ball linebacker in the first round?

You know what works - taking super athletic guys that love football and then coach them up and put them in positions to succeed.
That's why I feel very comfortable in saying that three years from now we are going very happy with both Mazi and Schoon.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I do think that Mazi will not just be a NT and does have ability to collapse the pocket and get after the QB
You and I see things differently
Let’s agree to disagree
I think he has the athleticism too but nothing Mazi did in college I find that impressive and worthy of a premium pick.

He’s a total projection based on his athleticism.

Like someone please show me the game where he’s this enforcer just stuffing the run and making everyone better…

He’s nothing but an idea at this point.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Well yes we have to be more productive in the run game......and as it was in effect Torrence vrs Schoonmaker, its clearly evident that we preferred a more mobile run blocking scheme rather than Torrence's foot plant and maul. It would of been interesting if the pick at 58 was Avila/Bergeron/Schoonmaker .....in that scenario it could well/ probably was the LG.....but drafts dont go as planned/hoped.
Bingo…it seems clear that they were not as sold on Torrence. I would also assume they were fairly confident that Avila & Bergeron would be gone at 58. Even I said Avila would be gone by #41 and Bergeron by the mid 40’s and I’m just an amateur GM wannabe.

Personally, I think they may have taken OL at 58 if one was there they liked but that’s just speculation. I also think they were only going to draft OL before day 3 if they were confident he could be a long term solution. No need to bring in early round developmental types when we have those now.

As far as college production not mattering, please. It’s all part of the puzzle in developing an overall projection. Whether it’s college production, caliber of competition, scheme & position utilization, etc., etc., it all goes into the evaluation equation. It may need to be given some context as every situation is different but the evaluation process is much easier the more you see the behavior demonstrated.

visionary

Reaction score
I think he has the athleticism too but nothing Mazi did in college I find that impressive and worthy of a premium pick.

Like someone please show me the game where he’s this enforcer just stuffing the run and making everyone better…

I agree with you but I think the projection is spot on
Let’s reevaluate after his rookie season

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

His athleticism points to him being able to do it but if all you end up with is a 2 down player then you made a bad pick.

Wow, just wow. Have you noticed that we have one of the best pass-rushing units in the game and that getting to '3rd and long' is (especially with a very decent CB2) is going to transform the defense into a REAL strength of the team.
Throwing darts at a 1-Tech hasn't worked....however Hankins' introduction has opened eyes as to how a mediocre run 'stuffer' improves the play.
Premium talent isn't found at 26 (especially in that draft).... when that's not available, go for the premium player at a so called lesser position

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wow, just wow. Have you noticed that we have one of the best pass-rushing units in the game and that getting to '3rd and long' is (especially with a very decent CB2) is going to transform the defense into a REAL strength of the team.
Throwing darts at a 1-Tech hasn't worked....however Hankins' introduction has opened eyes as to how a mediocre run 'stuffer' improves the play.
Premium talent isn't found at 26 (especially in that draft).... when that's not available, go for the premium player at a so called lesser position
I hope it works out.

I’m of the belief that Dallas isn’t going anywhere without a cast around the QB that can carry him.

Bergeron probably helps in that area.

I don’t think any amount of defense is going to help this guy as much as protection and explosive RBs and receivers who create massive amounts of separation.

Spottswoode

Reaction score

College production doesn’t matter.

If it mattered everyone would’ve taken Mayer.

You might want to contact CZ and let them know your account may have been hacked. Someone posted these two comments on the same page.

When people get to the point where they say whatever fits their narrative to prove they are right, it may be a sign that they are too invested in their opinion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

You might want to contact CZ and let them know your account may have been hacked. Someone posted these two comments on the same page.

When people get to the point where they say whatever fits their narrative to prove they are right, it may be a sign that they are too invested in their opinion.
Ah… My fault for not being more specific.

I don’t view run defenders as premium positions to pick. Ever.

Unless all the rules change and we go back to playing football like it used to be played.

The Cowboys run defense is more than fine for how football is played today.

We need the offense to show up in big games and not just against the NFC East and bad football teams.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
:hammer:........ this continual fan indignation that we didnt take Torrence over Schoonmaker just goes to show us amateur drafters have no idea other than seeing BPA to fill positions even if they dont fit in schematically. The choice of Avila/Bergeron/Schoonmaker may have given a different pick, but even a rank amateur, like myself, can see that we are planning on a: more mobile blocking, pull and lead blocking game rather than a plant feet and maul approach which Torrence appears to excel in.
I said this in another post, this fanbase has stockholm's from JG... you dont need to draft OL's the first 3 rounds every year to be good... Most teams develope guys (Steele) like MM does..JG(KM) needed 5 all pro's on the OL or the offense didnt work. no other teams needs this.

Creeper

Reaction score
He spews a lot of arguments, all reasonable. His take on Mazi vs Bergeron is interesting but I get the feeling if the Cowboys selected Bergeron at 26 a lot of people on this forum would be complaining big time. At the same time he explains why picking Mazi makes more sense that picking OL. The offensive linemen would probably not start in 2023. Mazi will be on the field quite a bit I think so his selection is a better value at this point. Only the future can tell us who turns out to be the better player.

I do believe the Cowboys are planning on starting Tyron Smith at LT and Steele at RT. The starting LG is going to be Tyler Smith. Am I a fan? Not really, but Steele was a really good run blocker and if returns to form it will help the rushing offense. Tyron is a downgrade IMO. But he is a Cowboys ICON so he gets the nod at LT until he gets hurt.

I agree with this take on the TE. We have two decent TEs. Ferguson showed flashes last year as a rooking. I am not sure they needed a #1 TE in the 2nd round. But they saw something in Schoonmaker.

I disagree with his take on the defense, particularly the run defense. There were too many 7 and 8 yard runs to the outside. I want a defense when the chips are down they can stuff the run inside 2 minutes and get off the field. We don't have that. Plus, we lost Watkins, traded Hill and are short at DT. Hankins changed the run defense last year. Mazi will do the same in the future. At the same time, I think the Cowboys short passing defense is what really hurt them last year. Too many underneath throws for 8-12 yards, particularly over the middle. They need more pressure up the middle and maybe Mazi brings that, or takes up two blockers and allows Osa to penetrate.

I agree with the logic at the LB selection too. The Cowboys run defense to the outside was awful and guys who can play to the sidelines will help, theoretically. I don't know if Overshown is the guy or not but the logic of the selection is not bad. The only thing that troubles me with this pick is they have Cox and Clark. Cox is a burner who can cover the pass and get to the outside as he showed when he knocked Danny Dimes out of a game in 2021. I don;t know why the Cowboys have not gotten him on the field more.

As for the argument about drafting offense. I think the Cowboys feel good about CeeDee and Cooks. They seem to really believe Gallup will return to form this year. And their 3rd round pick from last year, Tolbert, will improve. If Gallup does return to form, and Tolbert improves after being given a more focused role, then maybe a lineup of Lamb, Cooks, Gallup and Tolbert won't be so bad. Keep in mind they took Deuce Vaughn in the 6th and Luepke as a UDFA, and both are potential receiving threat out of the backfield. AND, the still have Turpin as well.

In retrospect, I think they maybe should have taken the OG, in the second and then waited to take a TE but we will know by the end of August.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Another media type that believes his ranking is better than any other board. Just like every fan on this board including myself, who believe they know better. Sorry, his is just another opinion and none of us will know if any of these guys play out the way the Dallas staff expects.

Yes, like most of everyone here I wanted a LG in 2nd round but the best thing is that maybe Dallas knows more about Edoga and Ball than we do and in the next couple of months we will find out.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Another media type that believes his ranking is better than any other board. Just like every fan on this board including myself, who believe they know better. Sorry, his is just another opinion and none of us will know if any of these guys play out the way the Dallas staff expects.

Yes, like most of everyone here I wanted a LG in 2nd round but the best thing is that maybe Dallas knows more about Edoga and Ball than we do and in the next couple of months we will find out.
Remember. That's the guy who said kelvin joseph was a top 20 player in the draft. That guy. But calling other picks reaches lol he's like a handful on here who do the know-it-all act but are always wrong

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Where is McKeon
If he makes the roster in year 4 he will likely be inactive or bounce back and forth to PS.
He was another UDFA that has hung around but not done much.

He has 0 GTD money can bounce easily.

Landryhat73

Reaction score

Didn't Philly do the same thing last year with Jordan Davis at 13?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Here's the thing - how many sacks did Micah have in college? How many of you were excited about an off-ball linebacker in the first round?

You know what works - taking super athletic guys that love football and then coach them up and put them in positions to succeed.
That's why I feel very comfortable in saying that three years from now we are going very happy with both Mazi and Schoon.
Agreed on athleticism.
These guys could be hit or miss but they were taken in hit or miss territory given it was a soft draft and we picked fairly low.
Will's logic is A1. You take the DT because they are so rare you often have no one on the board in your range.
If you don't grab one when chance arrives it can be years before you get another chance.

TE is a position based largely upon athleticism in this modern era.
You need to be able to block 240-pound Edges and run solid routes.
Dallas really liked the athletic profile, and the guy looks good in routes he just didn't put up numbers in an offense meant to be run heavy and wear you down.
But he is 25 and its OK to wonder how he will fare.
It is not OK IMO to question if we were just set at TE because that's pretty much nonsense.
We weren't good enough there last year WITH Schultz.
We struggled if they had to block anyone and receiving production was hot and cold at best.

Landryhat73

Reaction score

Aren't most late 1st round choices based on projection? It seems a lot on the zone were upset the pick wasn't Nolan Smith. His college numbers weren't all that great either but the combine jumped his stock.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
I said this in another post, this fanbase has stockholm's from JG... you dont need to draft OL's the first 3 rounds every year to be good... Most teams develope guys (Steele) like MM does..JG(KM) needed 5 all pro's on the OL or the offense didnt work. no other teams needs this.
To be fair, OL should naturally get more attention because the group is made up of 5 positions. I don’t think I have seen others suggest that OL should be drafted every year. Exaggerations just lay the foundation for all these cat fights.

IMO, it should be fair and reasonable to think we should address OL. We do have 2 FA’s next year, 1 who is on his last legs, and another who is nearing retirement. That was my reason for wanting to address and Dallas gave my opinion it’s proper attention…ZERO.