Video: Jeff Cavanaugh Full Cowboys draft analysis | Needs, wants, criticisms, meanderings and musings

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
To be fair, OL should naturally get more attention because the group is made up of 5 positions. I don’t think I have seen others suggest that OL should be drafted every year. Exaggerations just lay the foundation for all these cat fights.

IMO, it should be fair and reasonable to think we should address OL. We do have 2 FA’s next year, 1 who is on his last legs, and another who is nearing retirement. That was my reason for wanting to address and Dallas gave my opinion it’s proper attention…ZERO.
I think they have given the OL very good draft capitol over the years, my comment was more to what the JG years did to the fanbase, like the notion if a starting OL gets injured the team will now lose games. With JG this was a thing, every other team deals with injured OL and seem to make it work... we get Chaz Green games. I also believe we watched many players regress when they should have gotten better with JG, with MM I actually see our later round draft picks getting better including our backup OL's.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
They clearly valued TE over LG at 58. Schoonmaker is getting a lot of hate. I will wait to see what he does on the field… if he is a viable starting TE and is an upgrade over Schultz, then I don’t see what the fuss is about.

It’s pretty clear they are fine with Tyler Smith playing LG this season and trusting they will get some decent play from Tyron.

They added Richards and Bostick to the mix for depth at OT and think highly of Waletzko as the swing… so if that approach works, drafting a LG was going to only be for depth, as he would not be pushing Smith to the bench.

Add in Ball and Chuma to the G depth and you can see the coaches are fine with drafting a starting TE over a depth G at that point in the draft.

Is Schoonmaker a quality starting TE? Time will tell. His RAS is really good, and his coaches love his mindset and work ethic. He was in a run first program, so his production wasn’t flashy, but if he can be an “all arounder” for Dallas, I think this pick is fine.

Time will tell.
Since he is significantly older as a rookie he will have to have an out sized impact like a Roger Staubach to justify the selection. That could happen, but is unlikely. The pick was a reach that looks bad as it currently stands.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Cavanaugh thought that Jared Goff was going to be better than Tom Brady...
So did practically everyone on Earth including every NFL team. The obvious tip off to this was where Brady was drafted.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Since he is significantly older as a rookie he will have to have an out sized impact like a Roger Staubach to justify the selection. That could happen, but is unlikely. The pick was a reach that looks bad as it currently stands.
We can have opinions that guess at what the pick is, but until they get to play its not good or bad as it currently stands... Currently its stands as the most athletic TE in the draft was picked in round 2 by the Cowboys, those are the facts.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Aren't most late 1st round choices based on projection? It seems a lot on the zone were upset the pick wasn't Nolan Smith. His college numbers weren't all that great either but the combine jumped his stock.
Absolutely…all picks in every round are projections, You always have to project whether the skills, production, etc. will translate to the NFL. No team drafts a player thinking they have seen the finished product.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Who is this Cavanaugh person? Never heard of him. Is he a well respected personnel guru, scout?

He sounds to me more like a radio host that loves to hear himself talk, and really has only his opinion and nothing else.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Who is this Cavanaugh person? Never heard of him. Is he a well respected personnel guru, scout?

He sounds to me more like a radio host that loves to hear himself talk, and really has only his opinion and nothing else.
Probably the later as he was a radio host here for the flag station... I mean posters here dismiss Brian B's opinion and he is a SB wining NFL scout for 30 years...I think it only matters if the opinion heard is in the line whith the opinion they want to hear.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
They clearly valued TE over LG at 58. Schoonmaker is getting a lot of hate. I will wait to see what he does on the field… if he is a viable starting TE and is an upgrade over Schultz, then I don’t see what the fuss is about.

It’s pretty clear they are fine with Tyler Smith playing LG this season and trusting they will get some decent play from Tyron.
Not disagreeing with your post, just adding a few points of clarity.

What is clear is they valued TE over the LG’s available at 58. We have no idea what would have happened if Bergeron, Avila, Mauch, etc. we’re there.

IMO based purely on speculation, they had a decision to make at 26 that could impact #58 and they chose Mazi. I think in their perfect world, one of their OL prospects would be there at 58 and they would address the trenches on both sides. If the draft didn’t fall that way, they were fine with what they have in-house.

To me, this isn’t that much of a stretch since we know the 2 prospects they considered at 26. I can’t see a world where they would consider Bergeron at 26 and not consider him at 58. I would imagine there were a few others they liked as well. If that was the case, I’m glad they stuck to their board and went another direction.

Spottswoode

Reaction score

He is a JAG who people refer to when his opinion matches their board narrative. He is a genius when his opinion matches and an idiot when it doesn’t. No different than what happens with every other talking head.

Toro9

Reaction score
I like Jeff. Just wish he didn't have Holley on so much. That dude is dumb.

Jake0

Reaction score
Jeff at least watches lots of film. That's way more than most radio show guys do. Some of those radio show guys don't even watch games and then just come up with some bs to spew on air.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His concerns are close to my own. And like him, I’ve chosen to give the team benefit of the doubt based on a very solid track record.

Having said that, Cavanaugh’s mock of Nolan Smith, Torrence, and Darnell Washington is much close to what I would hope for. Heck, swap out Nolan for Mazi and I’d like that even better.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

What is clear is they valued TE over the LG’s available at 58. We have no idea what would have happened if Bergeron, Avila, Mauch, etc. we’re there.

IMO based purely on speculation, they had a decision to make at 26 that could impact #58 and they chose Mazi. I think in their perfect world, one of their OL prospects would be there at 58 and they would address the trenches on both sides. If the draft didn’t fall that way, they were fine with what they have in-house.

To me, this isn’t that much of a stretch since we know the 2 prospects they considered at 26. I can’t see a world where they would consider Bergeron at 26 and not consider him at 58. I would imagine there were a few others they liked as well. If that was the case, I’m glad they stuck to their board and went another direction.
Yah… they were content to stay put early on and let the board come to them.

Time will tell how well they did on this draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
His concerns are close to my own. And like him, I’ve chosen to give the team benefit of the doubt based on a very solid track record.

Having said that, Cavanaugh’s mock of Nolan Smith, Torrence, and Darnell Washington is much close to what I would hope for. Heck, swap out Nolan for Mazi and I’d like that even better.
Would’ve been so…much…better.

rambo2

Reaction score
His floor is that he is a solid tight end that is good at blocking and receiving. His ceiling is that he is very good.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

The contention is that certain fans cant understand why, after Avila and Bergeron were off the table, we didnt pick Torrence in the 3rd or even Bradford in the 4th. Fans see Guard, want Guard, but it's evident the FO were looking at a specific traits, namely an athletic LG, who can run block to the second level. One of the 'experts' mentioned the concern that Torrence may be limited to RG as he struggle against quick pass-rushers and may be a liability on the blindside.

Whatever the reason, we did due diligence and met with both Torrence and Bradford, there was something McClay and team didnt like as the opportunities to take them were there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The contention is that certain fans cant understand why, after Avila and Bergeron were off the table, we didnt pick Torrence in the 3rd or even Bradford in the 4th. Fans see Guard, want Guard, but it's evident the FO were looking at a specific traits, namely an athletic LG, who can run block to the second level. One of the 'experts' mentioned the concern that Torrence may be limited to RG as he struggle against quick pass-rushers and may be a liability on the blindside.

Whatever the reason, we did due diligence and met with both Torrence and Bradford, there was something McClay and team didnt like as the opportunities to take them were there.
The team frustrates me with what looks like intent to draft left tackles and then try to convert them to guard.

They then end up with a miscast player like Connor Williams who doesn’t get push in the running game and sometimes gets pushed back into the quarterback.

This team has been most successful with bullies at guard. From Newton-Allen, to Leonard Davis, to Ron Leary. And I think it’s why they’ve struggled at times in short yardage and goal line situations.