Video: Jeff Cavanaugh Full Cowboys draft analysis | Needs, wants, criticisms, meanderings and musings

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The team frustrates me with what looks like intent to draft left tackles and then try to convert them to guard.

They then end up with a miscast player like Connor Williams who doesn’t get push in the running game and sometimes gets pushed back into the quarterback.

This team has been most successful with bullies at guard. From Newton-Allen, to Leonard Davis, to Ron Leary. And I think it’s why they’ve struggled at times in short yardage and goal line situations.
Im just hoping (probably in vain) that the thinking was ....Avila or Bergeron and if we're wiped out we go get a vet like Risner. If you're going muscle it may as well be a wiley vet who's experienced at hand-to-hand combat in the trenches.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im just hoping (probably in vain) that the thinking was ....Avila or Bergeron and if we're wiped out we go get a vet like Risner. If you're going muscle it may as well be a wiley vet who's experienced at hand-to-hand combat in the trenches.
I’d like to see them take a look at DJ Fluker in his attempted comeback. Or maybe Isaiah Wynn as a reclamation project?

But as with the draft, I’m prepared for disappointment.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The team frustrates me with what looks like intent to draft left tackles and then try to convert them to guard.

They then end up with a miscast player like Connor Williams who doesn’t get push in the running game and sometimes gets pushed back into the quarterback.

This team has been most successful with bullies at guard. From Newton-Allen, to Leonard Davis, to Ron Leary. And I think it’s why they’ve struggled at times in short yardage and goal line situations.
Connor williams is now a pro bowl center lol. I said he was never a guard when we drafted him. He was too light but had great feet to play tackle or center. But the cowboys kno more than me yeh ok

Carson

Reaction score
I like the comments on Schoon.
One that I haven't heard from others - only 500 yards college career production.
25 college games. 48 catches, 737 yards, 10 TDs in four years was 24 his rookie year.

23 college games.54 catches, 637 yards, 7 TDs.

Top guy is top 2 TE in the league George Kittle. Both run first schools with not great production.

So the argument I see about his stats and age are silly. Not saying he turns out to be anywhere near Kittle. But some of the medias tales are just lazy.

cnuball21

Reaction score
25 college games. 48 catches, 737 yards, 10 TDs in four years was 24 his rookie year.

23 college games.54 catches, 637 yards, 7 TDs.

Top guy is top 2 TE in the league George Kittle. Both run first schools with not great production.

So the argument I see about his stats and age are silly. Not saying he turns out to be anywhere near Kittle. But some of the medias tales are just lazy.
And Kittle was drafted in the 5th…

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They clearly valued TE over LG at 58. Schoonmaker is getting a lot of hate. I will wait to see what he does on the field… if he is a viable starting TE and is an upgrade over Schultz, then I don’t see what the fuss is about.

It’s pretty clear they are fine with Tyler Smith playing LG this season and trusting they will get some decent play from Tyron.

They added Richards and Bostick to the mix for depth at OT and think highly of Waletzko as the swing… so if that approach works, drafting a LG was going to only be for depth, as he would not be pushing Smith to the bench.

Add in Ball and Chuma to the G depth and you can see the coaches are fine with drafting a starting TE over a depth G at that point in the draft.

Is Schoonmaker a quality starting TE? Time will tell. His RAS is really good, and his coaches love his mindset and work ethic. He was in a run first program, so his production wasn’t flashy, but if he can be an “all arounder” for Dallas, I think this pick is fine.

Time will tell.
Their confidence in the online players is baffling and foolish.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But if Michigan ran 60% of the time....those 500 (600) yards are not indicative of ability it's that is wasnt utilized. The stat about him having the second highest slant receptions (behind Bowers) indicates that the limitations are potentially due to the scheme.
Running 60% of the time leaves 40% for passing. Plenty of chances to get yardage.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Instead of the 25 year old rookie TE with virtually no stats they could have picked a likely starting LG in Torrance or a Devon Achane that could have eventually replaced Tony Pollard or at very least contributed as an offensive weapon splitting carriers with Pollard. Hopefully Vaughn can bring some juice to the offense.
I personally agree as Good as schooneeeerrrr could be we already have him in McKeon + Hendershot / Fergie. we really should have taken OG from FL or traded back and took the RB from Texas that they wanted but was taken before them in the 3rd