Jeff Cavanaugh sounding alarm bells on Dak accuracy

Wood

Reaction score
Just listened to podcast and he is 3rd person at practices that has said this. Basically, Dak can't hit side of barn past 10 yards. Under 10 yards, Dak is fine. But is missing badly on intermediate and deep throws when WR has DB beat. My concern is this starts to work its way into head of new receives especially rookie Gallup.

Jeff says Dallas will have to be lights out dominant in running game to have fighting chance this year. But when teams are one-dimensional on offense they are relatively easy to neutralize. So my thoughts on this are:

1. Dallas should become heavy screen-pass team to off-set lack of ability to throw downfield. It won't be pretty but its way to give Defense another wrinkle to worry about.

2. Dallas defense will need to be shut-down or gambling defense. Two stats I look at for success are 1) pts per game allowed and 2) turnovers. I still think Dallas could be playoff team even with Dak deficiencies IF the defense is top 5 in fewest pts allowed or turnovers.

2. OL better eat nails for breakfast. There is no way around this. Entire OL has to have career years. Every D coordinator in league will stack box and dare Dak to consistently beat them down field with long throws. Not only will OL need to beat their man...but they will need to win multiple battles at same time because they will be out-numbered. Its special group and we will find out shortly how special.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
....stuff I have been saying for nearly 2 years now. He's a poor man's Alex Smith and everything around Dak will have to be 100% for us to go anywhere.

Better hope this O-Line stays together and Zeke stays away from the party scene or else it could derail any chance for a playoff run.

Sydla

Reaction score
I was at DEFCON 4 after the 2018 season. It's not unusual for a 2nd year QB to regress a bit, especially given some of the issues he faced. You can't blame Elliott being out and OL issues for all his problems but it could muddy the waters for him.

After a week of camp, I was then at DEFCON 3. Not great reviews early but hey, it was early in the camp.

I am idling towards DEFCON 2 as more and more pundits point out accuracy issues in camp. If we get to DEFCON 1, I may do something I laughed about a year ago........... calling for Cooper Rush.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
He was never an accurate passer so this shouldn't be alarming. The fact that our coaches kept Romo on the sidelines when he came back 2 years ago should have gotten them fired. Romo could have finished that year and the next with Dak as our back up and we might have number 6....

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I was at DEFCON 4 after the 2018 season. It's not unusual for a 2nd year QB to regress a bit, especially given some of the issues he faced. You can't blame Elliott being out and OL issues for all his problems but it could muddy the waters for him.

After a week of camp, I was then at DEFCON 3. Not great reviews early but hey, it was early in the camp.

I am idling towards DEFCON 2 as more and more pundits point out accuracy issues in camp.

all the experts who said Philly wasnt going to win? those experts? i think we re ok than.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
He was never an accurate passer so this shouldn't be alarming. The fact that our coaches kept Romo on the sidelines when he came back 2 years ago should have gotten them fired. Romo could have finished that year and the next with Dak as our back up and we might have number 6....

and done what? waste time? yippie. Romos body was done, i know its hard to understand, but it was done. you werent going to win anything under Romo. Dak and Zeke were so close and Garrett failed them. Dont get excited to follow the crowd. We won nothing under Romo and we needed a new QB. It happens.

reddyuta

Reaction score
its weird he is more accurate on the run down the field than in the pocket,I am hoping its just new WRs he has to work through but i have seen him miss a lot of throws in TC videos.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dunno… PFF had Prescott as the 4th most accurate deep passer last season:

4. Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 46.5 percent

Yards: 534 (21st)

For the second year in a row, Prescott did not take many downfield shots, but he continues to show the ability to throw with good ball location to allow for big plays. He ranked just 27th in deep pass attempt percentage at 8.8 percent, and it’s likely time for the Cowboys to open things up for Prescott in the coming years.

Sydla

Reaction score
all the experts who said Philly wasnt going to win? those experts? i think we re ok than.

Ummm.......... "pundits" meaning local writers who are actually watching camp practices.

Not guys like Herm Edwards sitting in a studio 1,000 miles away.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

You mean like most of this board who was laughing at Wentz and said Philly had no shot? You guys are also who have been praising Dak. So....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just listened to podcast and he is 3rd person at practices that has said this. Basically, Dak can't hit side of barn past 10 yards. Under 10 yards, Dak is fine. But is missing badly on intermediate and deep throws when WR has DB beat. My concern is this starts to work its way into head of new receives especially rookie Gallup.

Jeff says Dallas will have to be lights out dominant in running game to have fighting chance this year. But when teams are one-dimensional on offense they are relatively easy to neutralize. So my thoughts on this are:

1. Dallas should become heavy screen-pass team to off-set lack of ability to throw downfield. It won't be pretty but its way to give Defense another wrinkle to worry about.

2. Dallas defense will need to be shut-down or gambling defense. Two stats I look at for success are 1) pts per game allowed and 2) turnovers. I still think Dallas could be playoff team even with Dak deficiencies IF the defense is top 5 in fewest pts allowed or turnovers.

2. OL better eat nails for breakfast. There is no way around this. Entire OL has to have career years. Every D coordinator in league will stack box and dare Dak to consistently beat them down field with long throws. Not only will OL need to beat their man...but they will need to win multiple battles at same time because they will be out-numbered. Its special group and we will find out shortly how special.
based on what? his observations? he can't hit side of a barn? so he has had no completions past 10 yards? or even 50%....but I have seen videos where he has hit WRs in deep routes.

or maybe just maybe, a little bit, he is trying to create some buzz and get some clicks, viewers and attention.....just sayin.....

rags747

Reaction score
Well if Dak fails let's hope he does so spectacularly so this team can make a move for one of the top qb's coming out for the 2019 draft, qb's need to be able to throw the ball up and down the field...that is what I want.