Jeff Cavanaugh sounding alarm bells on Dak accuracy

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Okay so maybe we can get back to ball control and eat up the clock as we methodically move the ball downfield. Zeke for 4 yards, Dak to whoever for 8 yards, 1st down, repeat until touchdown. I’m good with that if that’s what our QB does well. That being said, I’m confident Dak will make some plays downfield once the season starts. He’s a gamer and we all know that.

plasticman

Reaction score
"Sigh".......here we go again:

Dak Prescott is ranked #1 in NFL history in completion percentage for quarterbacks after their first two seasons, minimum 500 attempts.

In other words, no quarterback has ever been as accurate as Dak at this point of his career.....ever!

He has to get his timing down with new receivers, of course he isn't going to be as accurate in training camp.

glimmerman

Reaction score
As long as the Offense has learned to beat stacked boxes this offseason we will. So throw it deep when you can. I think he can throw deep, but it’s not his strong point. He can improve. I am sure he practices. Wonder if that’s why JG plays the little games with him after practice.

mardwin

Reaction score
Dak sucking beyond 10 yards is nothing new, I still see this team being average next season 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
he has missed a lot of throws in the clips I have seen the passing game has to be better than 2017 has to be

erod

Reaction score
Without accuracy, wide receivers are a waste of money. Only 9 touchdowns thrown to wide receivers last year, including 6 to Dez and 3 to Butler.

This has to change.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I see the Nervous Nancies are at it again. Let me know if freaking out actually changes anything.

With all due respect to Mr. Cavanugh (whoever he is),I'm going to wait and see how things look in a game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except he wasn't saying this last training camp and was actually liking what he saw from Dak, here is a quote by him

"105.3 The Fan’s Jeff Cavanaugh says that Dak “looks like the league MVP” and “600%” better compared to last year’s training camp."

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...he-2017-season-to-prove-the-world-wrong-again

Stop talking out of your butt. He seems to have less bias than you.

Think about that statement. He is basically saying that he thought Dak sucked in his rookie training camp.

By 2017 training camp he had to veil his criticism because everyone would laugh if he continued to day Dak sucked.

It's fan's lack of ability to understand these simple nuances that allow the media to always control the narrative.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Think about that statement. He is basically saying that he thought Dak sucked in his rookie training camp.

By 2017 training camp he had to veil his criticism because everyone would laugh if he continued to day Dak sucked.

It's fan's lack of ability to understand these simple nuances that allow the media to always control the narrative.

He's not the only one who stated Dak looked bad in training camp his rookie season. But if he was as biased as you are pretending, he didn't seem to shy away from complimenting Dak on his improvements and giving him high remarks.

Maybe, just maybe, he's pointing out an observation that Dak simply isn't looking great again in camp? Judging from the quote, he's okay with pointing out Dak's improvements.

So, not exactly all that biased. Try again before misrepresenting someone over a single observation you don't like.

Let's take a look at some others criticizing Dak

https://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/...t-dorance-armstrong-dalton-schultz-mike-white

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...nues-to-be-uneven-in-training-camp-120446865/

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/03/cowboys-dak-prescott-not-lighting-up-training-camp/

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
I’ll never understand why people put so much into practice reps when they don’t know what is being practiced. You have no clue if he’s working on new motions or footwork or trying stuff he’s bad at just to get better. Maybe the receiver wasn’t in right spot? All I’m saying is if you’re watching practice and saying “we need a new qb” maybe watch something else until real games start. If he’s still bad then you have a reason to get all upset. I’m of the opinion that practice is the place where you are allowed to be bad so see what you can do.

pansophy

Reaction score
Just listened to podcast and he is 3rd person at practices that has said this. Basically, Dak can't hit side of barn past 10 yards. Under 10 yards, Dak is fine. But is missing badly on intermediate and deep throws when WR has DB beat. My concern is this starts to work its way into head of new receives especially rookie Gallup.

Jeff says Dallas will have to be lights out dominant in running game to have fighting chance this year. But when teams are one-dimensional on offense they are relatively easy to neutralize. So my thoughts on this are:

1. Dallas should become heavy screen-pass team to off-set lack of ability to throw downfield. It won't be pretty but its way to give Defense another wrinkle to worry about.

2. Dallas defense will need to be shut-down or gambling defense. Two stats I look at for success are 1) pts per game allowed and 2) turnovers. I still think Dallas could be playoff team even with Dak deficiencies IF the defense is top 5 in fewest pts allowed or turnovers.

2. OL better eat nails for breakfast. There is no way around this. Entire OL has to have career years. Every D coordinator in league will stack box and dare Dak to consistently beat them down field with long throws. Not only will OL need to beat their man...but they will need to win multiple battles at same time because they will be out-numbered. Its special group and we will find out shortly how special.
This is why defenses clogged the middle of the field last year. Dak can hit past 10 yards in the middle of the field, but not consistently outside unless it's a go route.

If they can't scheme the offense around that problem and Dak can't fix it then Dak isn't going to make it.

DiResta

Reaction score
i dont know how he will play in actual games,
but holy **** does this guy what 24-25 years old? have the weight of the world on his shoulders
and thats just from Cowboys fans
the amount of epic trolling from other teams fans & media must be approaching Romo Cabo levels

if he does end up balling out? dude is a beast
it really affected Zeke last year
its ruined Dez, TWill

youd have to have extremely thick skin to block out all this noise

Batman1980

Reaction score
Without accuracy, wide receivers are a waste of money. Only 9 touchdowns thrown to wide receivers last year, including 6 to Dez and 3 to Butler.

This has to change.

Williams and Beasley combining for 0 TDs was the main culprit, I feel.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's been a running narrative that Prescott is not (for whatever reason) a good practice player. That was said about him in college too.

He seems to perform better in games.

That being said for as sucky as he looked in training camp his rookie year, during the preseason games he lit it up.

JustChip

Reaction score
I'd trust someone who has been watching practices every day compared to someone on this board who has watched a few clips of twitter video.

Maybe I am wrong on this, but I don't believe Cavanaugh has ever been one of those types to try to create a story out of nothing. Further, he's not been the only one who has raised the issue of Prescott having some issues on intermediary or deep routes.

I wouldn't panic at this point but I think there's nothing wrong with being a bit nervous about the progression of Prescott. There is a crap ton riding on him being the guy. If he isn't....... we have some issues.

There has been enough reports of Dak struggling from a myriad of sources, including from his own mouth, to raise some level of concern. But not overly concerned, or as you point out, panic. Yet. Honestly, I'm not sure I would panic even if it continues up to September 9. Game play, not a PS game, but a real, honest to goodness game is what's important.

Batman1980

Reaction score
It's been a running narrative that Prescott is not (for whatever reason) a good practice player. That was said about him in college too.

He seems to perform better in games.

That being said for as sucky as he looked in training camp his rookie year, during the preseason games he lit it up.

Well he was at about the same level as former QB Showers so he was behind future HOFer Kellen Moore and Tony Romo. He sure made good after that but cannot be complacent. All signs are he is continuing to hone his craft.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not the only one who stated Dak looked bad in training camp his rookie season. But if he was as biased as you are pretending, he didn't seem to shy away from complimenting Dak on his improvements and giving him high remarks.

Maybe, just maybe, he's pointing out an observation that Dak simply isn't looking great again in camp? Judging from the quote, he's okay with pointing out Dak's improvements.

So, not exactly all that biased. Try again before misrepresenting someone over a single observation you don't like.

Let's take a look at some others criticizing Dak

https://sportsday.***BANNED-DO-NOT-...t-dorance-armstrong-dalton-schultz-mike-white

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...nues-to-be-uneven-in-training-camp-120446865/

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/03/cowboys-dak-prescott-not-lighting-up-training-camp/

You linked to a K.D.Drummond blog which proves my point. He is a known idiot that loves to push narratives for the purpose of getting attention.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Just listened to podcast and he is 3rd person at practices that has said this. Basically, Dak can't hit side of barn past 10 yards. Under 10 yards, Dak is fine. But is missing badly on intermediate and deep throws when WR has DB beat. My concern is this starts to work its way into head of new receives especially rookie Gallup.

Jeff says Dallas will have to be lights out dominant in running game to have fighting chance this year. But when teams are one-dimensional on offense they are relatively easy to neutralize. So my thoughts on this are:

1. Dallas should become heavy screen-pass team to off-set lack of ability to throw downfield. It won't be pretty but its way to give Defense another wrinkle to worry about.

2. Dallas defense will need to be shut-down or gambling defense. Two stats I look at for success are 1) pts per game allowed and 2) turnovers. I still think Dallas could be playoff team even with Dak deficiencies IF the defense is top 5 in fewest pts allowed or turnovers.

2. OL better eat nails for breakfast. There is no way around this. Entire OL has to have career years. Every D coordinator in league will stack box and dare Dak to consistently beat them down field with long throws. Not only will OL need to beat their man...but they will need to win multiple battles at same time because they will be out-numbered. Its special group and we will find out shortly how special.
in just watching dak his accuracy has never been all that great. we blamed some of that on dez and his route running but dez wasn't the only wr dak missed.

that said, i'll wait for some real games before we go crazy either way.

pansophy

Reaction score
He was never an accurate passer so this shouldn't be alarming. The fact that our coaches kept Romo on the sidelines when he came back 2 years ago should have gotten them fired. Romo could have finished that year and the next with Dak as our back up and we might have number 6....
I thought that way at the time, given that even Big Ben failed to get past the AFC championship game as a rookie. It's just too much to ask a rookie.

But a rookie having a career year and an aging vet who hasn't been able to stay in the field is a hard decision. I can't really blame us for wanting to take a shot at not having a gap year between Romo and the next guy. No way Jerry wasn't on board with that when the decision was made.

Still sad given that the one series Romo had he made it look ridiculously easy.