Jeff Cavanaugh sounding alarm bells on Dak accuracy

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You linked to a K.D.Drummond blog which proves my point. He is a known idiot that loves to push narratives for the purpose of getting attention.

I don't care who you consider to be an "idiot" - local sports writers in Dallas are all saying the same thing. It's not as though it's a single person, nobody is saying Dak looks good right now in camp.

It's simple as that. You attempting to discredit everyone that steps forward with criticism of Dak with half-assed "He's stoopid" comebacks is lame and lazy.

You're boring. Go back into hiding.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who needs Jeff to verify that we have a lousy QB.......jeez all you have to do is watch the games with your eyes open.....;)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care who you consider to be an "idiot" - local sports writers in Dallas are all saying the same thing. It's not as though it's a single person, nobody is saying Dak looks good right now in camp.

It's simple as that. You attempting to discredit everyone that steps forward with criticism of Dak with half-assed "He's stoopid" comebacks is lame and lazy.

You're boring. Go back into hiding.

So credible it's in the drama zone...

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without accuracy, wide receivers are a waste of money. Only 9 touchdowns thrown to wide receivers last year, including 6 to Dez and 3 to Butler.

This has to change.

Who needs WR when you have Dak and the Dallas Wall really now....Superbowl here we come baby!!!!

P.S. Opps forgot that Zeke fellow heck we can't even score TD's even with that Zeke guy....lol....

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
there is no player that has more pressure on him than dak perscott if the team don't win this year he will take all of the fall the press will be really hard on him it will get bad

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
...or maybe just because it's an exaggeration doesn't mean there is no truth to the fact he's been incredibly inaccurate in camp.

I love when people read a phrase that has been used forever and suddenly take it literally. Don't play obtuse.
I love when people over blow things they hear, see from camp...in credibly inaccurate....fantastic

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'd trust someone who has been watching practices every day compared to someone on this board who has watched a few clips of twitter video.

Maybe I am wrong on this, but I don't believe Cavanaugh has ever been one of those types to try to create a story out of nothing. Further, he's not been the only one who has raised the issue of Prescott having some issues on intermediary or deep routes.

I wouldn't panic at this point but I think there's nothing wrong with being a bit nervous about the progression of Prescott. There is a crap ton riding on him being the guy. If he isn't....... we have some issues.
well, the few videos showed he is hitting players down field. and then I read, he hasn't been able to make completions past 10 yards...so not sure if I put much validity in somebody seemingly with and agenda reporting from camp.

Wood

Reaction score
Cowboys radio and beat guy (I think for The Athletic).

he is one of few on radio I actually trust his opinion. He is also deep in draft and help run draft shows with Broddius and Helman.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Oh well. Time to move onto the next QB and not waste yet another decade on a QB that can't lead the team to playoff success. I sure do miss Troy Aikman.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He’s only played two seasons, people.
I say let this season play out. We might be pleasantly surprised.

As for completion percentages; well, we've had some data presented in this thread that helps explain thisin good and not so good light.
  • His comp % for 1st two years is very high compared to others this early in their career
  • downfield completion percentage is very high
  • But he has gone downfield less over two years than almost any other QB
Therefore.....
If you are risk averse and won’t gone downfield unless you feel real good that it's there, then of course, your completion percentage should be much higher on those throws...and it is.

And if you go down field less than almost everyone else, and you actually throw less pasees overall than most of the top guys....again, you're over completion percentage should be high.

So his higher completion % should not be that surprising....though its worth noting that it dropped a lot last year.
Btw, if you have a run game, you can get away with this to some degree until DCs adjust.

Let it play out

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I was at DEFCON 4 after the 2018 season. It's not unusual for a 2nd year QB to regress a bit, especially given some of the issues he faced. You can't blame Elliott being out and OL issues for all his problems but it could muddy the waters for him.

After a week of camp, I was then at DEFCON 3. Not great reviews early but hey, it was early in the camp.

I am idling towards DEFCON 2 as more and more pundits point out accuracy issues in camp. If we get to DEFCON 1, I may do something I laughed about a year ago........... calling for Cooper Rush.
It's not just guys like this it is all these ex players who know the game who continue to voice concerns about Dak. Like you right now optimism is high but for me it is realistic optimistic start of another wonderful NFL season. Hopefully our team is ready and Dak can prove he can take the next step. We are close to finding out.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Well if Dak fails let's hope he does so spectacularly so this team can make a move for one of the top qb's coming out for the 2019 draft, qb's need to be able to throw the ball up and down the field...that is what I want.
We aren't going to get one of those anyway. We'll probably end up 9-7 or 8-8 regardless.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I dunno… PFF had Prescott as the 4th most accurate deep passer last season:

4. Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 46.5 percent

Yards: 534 (21st)

For the second year in a row, Prescott did not take many downfield shots, but he continues to show the ability to throw with good ball location to allow for big plays. He ranked just 27th in deep pass attempt percentage at 8.8 percent, and it’s likely time for the Cowboys to open things up for Prescott in the coming years.

I don't have an actual stat on this but just from observation when watching the games last season, i would bet that most of those yards and completions came on broken plays when Dak was flushed out of the pocket and scrambling to his right or left. He was very good at that last season espcially with Butler . The fact that he was 27th in deep pass attempts in the league and that only 8.8% of his passes were considered deep should probably tell us all that he is much more comfortable throwing the short passes and is probably why the team is changing the offense to suit that part of his game this year. The problem is that until Dak actually shows he can beat teams down the field consistantly and make them pay, teams won't hesitate to take that short passing game away from him. Just my opinion

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Just listened to podcast and he is 3rd person at practices that has said this. Basically, Dak can't hit side of barn past 10 yards. Under 10 yards, Dak is fine. But is missing badly on intermediate and deep throws when WR has DB beat. My concern is this starts to work its way into head of new receives especially rookie Gallup.

Jeff says Dallas will have to be lights out dominant in running game to have fighting chance this year. But when teams are one-dimensional on offense they are relatively easy to neutralize. So my thoughts on this are:

1. Dallas should become heavy screen-pass team to off-set lack of ability to throw downfield. It won't be pretty but its way to give Defense another wrinkle to worry about.

2. Dallas defense will need to be shut-down or gambling defense. Two stats I look at for success are 1) pts per game allowed and 2) turnovers. I still think Dallas could be playoff team even with Dak deficiencies IF the defense is top 5 in fewest pts allowed or turnovers.

2. OL better eat nails for breakfast. There is no way around this. Entire OL has to have career years. Every D coordinator in league will stack box and dare Dak to consistently beat them down field with long throws. Not only will OL need to beat their man...but they will need to win multiple battles at same time because they will be out-numbered. Its special group and we will find out shortly how special.
SMH. Just unbelievable what people will believe. No wonder we’re in the situation we’re in now.

landroverking

Reaction score
Been saying for years.
Dallas should draft a QB every year rounds 2 plus.
Hit miss, I know but the hits could be worth it. Look a NE every year the draft a QB, and they have a GOAT.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I was at DEFCON 4 after the 2018 season. It's not unusual for a 2nd year QB to regress a bit, especially given some of the issues he faced. You can't blame Elliott being out and OL issues for all his problems but it could muddy the waters for him.

After a week of camp, I was then at DEFCON 3. Not great reviews early but hey, it was early in the camp.

I am idling towards DEFCON 2 as more and more pundits point out accuracy issues in camp. If we get to DEFCON 1, I may do something I laughed about a year ago........... calling for Cooper Rush.

Cooper Rush? Lmao. He is terrible and won't be here in a few years. Zero about him is quality.