Signed by Cowboys Jeff Heath signs four-year deal with Cowboys

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Meh, never was a cheerleader just for the sake of being one. But ask yourself, mate, out of all the stellar Cowboys, dead and living and still playing, why revere a mediocre overhyped player like Bates? Never could understand it. Never will. Bates ascending the heights of mediocrity and all of us seem ready to deify him as if he were a Charlie Waters or a Darren Woodson. Today he'd be hard-pressed to battle a Wilcox.

Worst post of the year, obviously by someone who never saw Bates play.

Just ask yourself why you are alone on "Hate'n Bates Island".

conner01

Reaction score
He's not a starting safety. That's clear. He's a good worker, and a good special teams guy. Bill Bates filled in at safety, and he wasn't very good, either. Not everyone is starting material in the league, and that is OK.

Every team needs those type of guys. Now just add a solid STARTER type safety in the mix and part ways with church who is costing too much for the production

conner01

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. But Wilcox is the one who's losing out defensive snaps to Jones, primarily. He lost ~15% of his snaps last season, and that's with Scandrick out and Jones straddling the two positions. Church lost a few snaps, too, but only a handful. Church is a limited player, but at least you can expect him to be where he's supposed to be most of the time.

Church is a better player but costs lots mire. If I'm cutting one of them I'm cutting the expensive one and if I end up with two safeties in the draft I cut the ither

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Church is a better player but costs lots mire. If I'm cutting one of them I'm cutting the expensive one and if I end up with two safeties in the draft I cut the ither

If Wilcox were a better player, I'd agree with this. I see the logic, but I'd just like to see that position upgraded.

jnday

Reaction score
This is a stupid signing that they will regret? A minimal Tallent that will always need an upgrade.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Even more reason to draft Karl Joseph or Darian Thompson this year.

EDIT: or, Jalen Ramsey. Starters are then Ramsey and Jones at S with Church/Heath as your reserves and Wilcox as a ST gunner. I can live with that.

I am definitely interested in Joseph..hits like Roy did the first few years he was with us.

jjktkk

Reaction score
This is a stupid signing that they will regret? A minimal Tallent that will always need an upgrade.

This doesn't prevent Dallas from upgrading the position. He is a backup safety that is a solid special teams player. Pretty sure his contract doesn't break the bank,so I'm not sure why you're why you think this a stupid signing.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Backup safety and solid special teams guy. That's a need every team should fill. 4 year contract sounds a bit much, but he's only 24 so I guess he can only get better hopefully. Doesn't he hit really hard? And hey he had two picks last year, not bad.

conner01

Reaction score
If Wilcox were a better player, I'd agree with this. I see the logic, but I'd just like to see that position upgraded.

Me too. But that's what the draft is for. If jones plays safety and we draft a safety I don't see church or Wilcox playing much that's why, to me you move the highest paid guy first

plymkr

Reaction score
An awful and very unnecessary decision by the front office. Shante Carver-level bad.

Shante Carver was a bust, but what made that situation worse was Carver was Jerry's first 1st round pick after Jimmy left and Jerry talked up Carver so much that if there was a "Hopefull Hall of Fame" Carver would have been a first ballot admittance. Jerry said he was just as good as Haley. Carver sucked, no doubt, but Jerry's day dreams about how good he was and talking him up made it 10 times worse.

Jerryrage

Reaction score
Jeff Heath
Jeff Heath
Jeff Heath
Jeff Heath
Jeff Heath
Jeff Heath
Jeff Heath
Jeff Heath
Jeff Heath

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I totally agree with you in that Church, Wilcox and Heath are all strong strong safeties (Wilcox & Heath in FS sheep's clothing). Out of the three of them, I like Church and Heath at SS if we didn't pick up a better SS in the draft and roll with Jones at FS. Wilcox is the odd man out. He sucks at both. He takes bad angles. He can't play zone. He simply didn't develop. He's ultimately ineffectual.

"But, but Heath got burned by Megatron in his first couple of starts!" If you don't like Heath...okay, but you had better have been beating on the table at the end of 2015 for the release of Wilcox then because he's been given more play time to develop, has given up even bigger plays as FS and shows no upward swing anytime soon to change his bustitude.

BTW, conner01...try this:
Gafle-OEM-Eco-Friendly-Air-Duster-Cleaner-High-Performance.jpg

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Jeff,
Two weeks ago I started a thread on how you almost killed Lockette and now you got paid. See how that works, you can thank me later.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. But Wilcox is the one who's losing out defensive snaps to Jones, primarily. He lost ~15% of his snaps last season, and that's with Scandrick out and Jones straddling the two positions. Church lost a few snaps, too, but only a handful. Church is a limited player, but at least you can expect him to be where he's supposed to be most of the time.

At this point I'd rather put Heath out there than either of those other two.

I thought Wilcox's issues weren't lining up. Claiborne was that guy but instead Wilcox took really bad angles on guys like Desean Jackson giving up the corner or over-pursuing in general and giving huge cutback lanes. The game appears to fast for him which is a common problem in S we bring in it seems.

Yes Church takes better pursuit angles and is a plus tackler but he is worthless in space. You can run through his zone and he cannot drive on throws. The burst he has launching into a guy for the tackle disappears past 5 yards leaving gaping holes for the QB to read. Halves and single high is a big no-no. Watching him not arrive to help on throws to the perimeter is a big frustration.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Depends on the money for me. Solid special teams guy, but the jury's still out on him actually playing safety.

And one of the top athletes on the team FWIW. Fair assessment. I wish he could make a play at a safety position other than being a backup. I've been watchfully waiting for a few years now as he came from nowhere with no experience at DB to speak of. If he doesn't make a move soon I'd as soon he move on although I understand the core ST thing. After awhile that is just not enough for me.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
At this point I'd rather put Heath out there than either of those other two.

I thought Wilcox's issues weren't lining up. Claiborne was that guy but instead Wilcox took really bad angles on guys like Desean Jackson giving up the corner or over-pursuing in general and giving huge cutback lanes. The game appears to fast for him which is a common problem in S we bring in it seems.

Yes Church takes better pursuit angles and is a plus tackler but he is worthless in space. You can run through his zone and he cannot drive on throws. The burst he has launching into a guy for the tackle disappears past 5 yards leaving gaping holes for the QB to read. Halves and single high is a big no-no. Watching him not arrive to help on throws to the perimeter is a big frustration.

Agreed. Wilcox is the prime example of a wonderful athlete who is a fair at best football player. Maybe he can improve. We'll see. It is apparent the club trusts Heath more.