Signed by Cowboys Jeff Heath signs four-year deal with Cowboys

lostar2009

Reaction score
Why not sign Reggie to a 2 year and tell him to play some special teams? Heath already sign his 1 year contract.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The Cowboys kept Bill Bates around for years and he was not an all pro. You can't afford to have all pros playing on special
teams and Heath is really good at special teams. I would submit that as a SS, he is better than Wilcox and has been
all last year.

Bill Bates, perhaps the most overhyped Cowboy of all time.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
I'm watching last years Miami game now on NFL game pass, Heath has already made 3 good hits!

I've been meaning to rewatch that game on NFL GP. It was really the only game of the season where we somewhat played like a team. I remember McFadden and the O-line closing out the game like bosses.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It's sad that he led the team in interceptions last season. It's even sadder that it was only two.

zach-randolph-shaking-his-head-gif.gif

YR

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I'm assuming the numbers are low enough that the Cowboys can get out of the deal after 2 years if need be without it hurting the cap.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well it is odd they signed him early, but I think they knew they wanted to keep him, so this way they get him
cheaper, and somehow it helps them with the cap, and now it is out of the way.

Also Heath is a good player, and he has been injury free, and keeps getting better.
I was watching a 2008 game and saw scandrick in the game and he was a rookie.
So I didnt realize he had been around that long. He finally became a good DB.

So maybe they think heath has that same potential, to someday be a good DB or safety.

Heath was forced into a starting role he wasnt ready for, as a rookie, and fans started making fun of him,
but for a rookie he did ok.
Byron jones made some mistakes last year too, and he was a # 1 pick whereas heath was what 7th or udfa.

I think it was a good signing, and probably cheap.
Cowboys love cheap signings now days.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Wish we would have done this with Harris.

Well they probalbly learned a lesson from losing harris, but harris wanted to play wr more, and that wasnt going to
happen in dallas, so he might have turned down early offers, knowing he needed to go elsewhere to
get to play wr.

That was one thing the giants promised him is certain amount of playing time as wr, and they did use him as wr last year.
And he did good in the wr role.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
NFL contracts are not guaranteed and if they end up paying him a low AAV and guaranteed money then I don't see what is so deflating. Stephen Jones negotiates the contracts and he has shown that he doesn't like to overpay.

Heath made plays in a very limited role meaning he was efficient. He's on all the special teams and makes plays there too. He's young at 24 years old. He is athletic.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Well they probalbly learned a lesson from losing harris, but harris wanted to play wr more, and that wasnt going to
happen in dallas, so he might have turned down early offers, knowing he needed to go elsewhere to
get to play wr.

That was one thing the giants promised him is certain amount of playing time as wr, and they did use him as wr last year.
And he did good in the wr role.

Harris was guaranteed $7m. I doubt Heath gets half of that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Harris was guaranteed $7m. I doubt Heath gets half of that.

Well I wasnt talking about the money, just that harris wanted to go elsewhere to play wr.
He wound up getting a good contract for more than the cowboys would have paid.

If heath had a good year in 16. and he talked to other teams he might cost more to keep next year, so they
went ahead and eliminated any chance of having to pay more to keep him.