Audio: Jerry coming up on 105.3 The Fan

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
For the people who are for getting AP, what's the salary cap amount you'd be willing to lose? If his 'discount' gets him to $10M/ year for 3 years would you be ok with that?

Sinister

Reaction score
Romo has a very finite number of years remaining. To put all that faith in this running back group is like relying on those pre Tyron Smith offensive lines. It's not sensible.

You get Adrian Peterson, and we have a chance to win the super bowl every year he is here for.

We've built this team, but we still need catalytic players, and he is one of the greatest in the league. He is probably the 2nd best player in the league the last 10-15 years right behind Peyton Manning.

If you somehow don't think that is worth a 32nd pick in the draft, I'm not sure where your sensibilities come from.

Also people playing on his age and wear and tear just don't know the player. Same people who said he couldn't come back from an ACL injury, and he proved them wrong and was the NFL MVP.

People comparing this to Roy Williams and Joey Galloway are also missing the big picture. Neither of those players are hall of fame players. The Galloway trade actually made sense, and had he played with Troy we might have been able to save a couple years towards the end of his career rather then slip into 3 straight 5-11 seasons. The Roy Williams trade just didn't make a lot of sense because we overpaid for the value of the player. And you could see that when you saw another trade that same year which was Anquan Boldin. What is worse is that Roy Williams never really fit our system.

AP is a perfect fit, still in or near his prime, and would certainly put this offense over the top.

You're oversimplifying, it is not just going to be a 1st round pick. There are going to be multiple picks involved.

The cap ramifications are another unknown. Is signing Adrian Peterson going to not allow us to sign Dez?

Anyone who says he is willing to take a huge pay cut to sign here is also sadly mistaken. He might take a pay cut, but it will be no more than a couple of million. Right now he is making 13 million for this year and will make 15 million for next I just don't know how the Cowboys are going to make it work.

I know they can make it work, but what are the ramifications?

Last edited:

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
It seems that all staff members are united in their belief that AP shouldn't come to Dallas. Odd.
For the people who are for getting AP, what's the salary cap amount you'd be willing to lose? If his 'discount' gets him to $10M/ year for 3 years would you be ok with that?
I was thinking more like 8. 5.5 of which of fully guaranteed. But who knows what he will take to come home, possibly win a sb and run behind this line ?

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
With DMC's injury history (only one full season since 2008) the underwear thief will likely be our starter. That is madness.

Not saying i disagree, but there was a running back, i forget his name, that only had one full season in his career thus far. It will come to me, ill keep you posted

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
They virtually all go to seed almost over night...

We've seen it with back after back.

Could Peterson still be a top back? Yeah maybe. But should the Cowboys risk a 1st round draft pick, and a salary of at least $8 mil to see on a back on the other side of thirty who hasn't had a dominant season since '12?

As has been said numerous times already, it is irresponsible to mortgage the future by betting on an unsure thing for the present. This board will be absolutely unbearable if we make a huge deal for AD that doesn't pan out, regardless of the circumstances.

If having AD is such a sure thing, then everyone should be wagering st least a year's salary on the 'Boys SB chances.

Good and bad luck will play an important role in all this; I for one like the sound decision making that has been the recent trend of this club.

Steven and JG will continue to keep JJ grounded.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Not saying i disagree, but there was a running back, i forget his name, that only had one full season in his career thus far. It will come to me, ill keep you posted

Has that running back been in the league since 2008? I think not.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As has been said numerous times already, it is irresponsible to mortgage the future by betting on an unsure thing for the present. This board will be absolutely unbearable if we make a huge deal for AD that doesn't pan out, regardless of the circumstances.

Exactly right.

This isn't a "one player" league.

And there's no doubt in my mind that there is a back either on the roster or available for little or nothing AND will command a salary of less than $2 mil per season who can rush for 1,200 yards with a 4.5 YPC average. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind.

Here's another way of looking at it...

What if Romo goes down with a very severe injury? He's already had one major back issue. And say he goes down this season, even with Adrian Peterson the team isn't going to the SB.

And now the Cowboys are in full QB search mode for next season. But they don't have a 1st round draft pick, which would absolutely necessary in order to move up in the draft to get a top-flight prospect. So now you have a team with many young, fine players but with no QB and an ancient and overpaid starting running back. What you have is the current Bill team. Lots of talent everywhere except where it counts most.

The Cowboys could languish for years without a decent QB... we've seen that. And along the way the career of all those young players is wasted.

No, that's not how I want to see it happen.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Exactly right.

This isn't a "one player" league.

And there's no doubt in my mind that there is a back either on the roster or available for little or nothing AND will command a salary of less than $2 mil per season who can rush for 1,200 yards with a 4.5 YPC average. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind.

Here's another way of looking at it...

What if Romo goes down with a very severe injury? He's already had one major back issue. And say he goes down this season, even with Adrian Peterson the team isn't going to the SB.

And now the Cowboys are in full QB search mode for next season. But they don't have a 1st round draft pick, which would absolutely necessary in order to move up in the draft to get a top-flight prospect. So now you have a team with many young, fine players but with no QB and an ancient and overpaid starting running back. What you have is the current Bill team. Lots of talent everywhere except where it counts most.

The Cowboys could languish for years without a decent QB... we've seen that. And along the way the career of all those young players is wasted.

No, that's not how I want to see it happen.

In order to get an elite qb prospect, Dallas would have to mortgage the future. You don't move into the top 10 from the late 20s or higher without giving up multiple high picks.

We need to groom a qb and we can get those guys in the 2nd or 3rd...

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
In order to get an elite qb prospect, Dallas would have to mortgage the future. You don't move into the top 10 from the late 20s or higher without giving up multiple high picks.

We need to groom a qb and we can get those guys in the 2nd or 3rd...

And the coaches really like Vaughn. This is the year to get him some snaps and determine if he will be ready to take the reigns soon. Then we'll know how to approach next year's draft and FA.

Reaction score
Exactly, if we were going to do that why not just keep Murray and your pick

I've posted this opinion before, so I'LL expand my thoughts on this, creating a Long Winded Post even I wouldn't wanna read through due to its length, LOL! In all seriousness, I will try to keep track of this list, so I can just copy & paste it when necessary, like new news about the subject. The ONLY leverage AD has is saying he won't restructure if a team comes along with a trade Minnesota CAN live with, then the opposite is true if there is a team he would like to go to, that can make Minnesota happy. Everyone is right, the folks who say that AP's contract is HUGE & by extension is a HUGE problem. "IF" Dallas & Co. came along with a trade package Minnesota could live with the next step that an acceptable "Trade Package/Agreement" with Minnesota gets Dallas is the right to pitch AD a new contract. A contract, that would be structured for less money overall, probably a different number of seasons & most important to AD, something his agent Ben Dogra us now pitching Minnesota & that's Guaranteed Money, something his current deal is fresh out of. When Jerry & Co. let Murrary walk it was because they didn't feel the money he wanted represented the "Specialty Level" of that kinda player. Another words if Dallas felt Murray was a "Special Player" at his position they would have given him the 8M per. AD is a special player, there is no doubt, the guy is one of natures freaks that only come along sporadically in the NFL. I think with the haul we just pulled off, gives us more creative leverage to go get AD, again nothing crazy but I have to ask the question, if we could give Minnesota, a couple players OR next years #1, (which would probably be #32) is the benefit to great to ignore?
If we are talking about how many years we have left with Romo, brining in AD has the potential that goes beyond being that "Special Player At RB", he is a proven back that will fill the box ALL DAY Long giving us space all up & down the field, it also has the added benefit of extending both Romo's & AP's career. In a great way, that is the added perk to insulating our chances at hoisting the Lombardi over the next three to five seasons! In the immediate present I have to ask, as a fan, if I'm comfortable with our current four choices at RB. Right of the start I can't say weather DMC is going to be our workhorse or if we are going to have a "RBBC"? It's the ladder that worries me the most, because if that doesn't work I could see a slow, painful transition to relying on the O-Line more for pass blocking & see the pass attempts begin to rise as they did & ended up far to high before last season & seemed to always increase when Murray would get injured, something that happened every season apart from last season. So when I ask myself, how do I feel about what Dallas has done to improve from last season, my answer is they've made really great moves, they've improved in many areas & with mild concern at DT, overall I think Dallas has possibly assembled the greatest Offensive Line that's ever played! Unfortunately, as a fan, it's just my opinion but that "Running Game" we levied each game, the one that broke the record for the most consecutive 100+ rushing yards per game, yes, that run game, it forced defenses into confusion, into loading the box with 8 man fronts, opening up the passing game where another natural freak in Dez Bryant made one of the greatest catches, on 4th down in a playoff game I've ever seen! You know the one? That the league will always have egg on it's face for overturning? ALL of that was made possible by a proven RB. A RB we had the confidence in to channel that Hefty run game through, 90%+ of those attempts went through Murray.
We can have "Mt. Rushmore", an improved Defensive scheme with a potentially great pass rush & possibly the last 3 to 5 seasons left in Romo but without that proven RB, as a Cowboy's Fan, I'm just concerned. Concerned enough, that giving up a 1st round pick next year that is going to be (Nothing is EVER guaranteed) but most likely the #32nd pick overall, that is worth it IMHO. I'd be more upset if we are picking at #24 or #27 again all because we didn't trade it away & burned another one of the last couple good seasons we have left in Romo. So, Jerry, give it your best shot, a first round pick next year & restructuring AD's contract is not mortgaging our future, it's insulating it! After all, I've always felt worse when I have to ask "What If We Would Have...?" RATHER THAN "Well, At Least We Went All In These Last 3 To 5 Seasons!" Of course we can "ALL Agree" That we're shooting for: "I'm Sure Glad We Made All Those Moves, As We Look At The Brand New Shiny Rings!" I think AD, or just to be fair "Another Proven RB" is "The" piece we need, to give us the best chance this season & the next few seasons to come. If the four we have turn out to work in whatever way you they have planned, then "GREAT, FABULOUS, AWESOME, Even!" If that all works out & we win the Super Bowl, I will be more than happy to eat every last word of this long, drawn out, diatribe! In fact, I will make the promise right here, right now, to copy & paste this, so that when we are picking at 32 next year, I can humbly eat them & say that all of you, who were against bringing AP to Dallas, for this 32nd pick, that each of you were right & I was wrong! After all, that would be Far & Away better than "I wish we would've traded what would've been the 32nd pick, instead of us picking at 25 today!" So, Go Jerry, Pull Off Another Great Move & Bring Him Here, You've Got My Vote & LET'S GO COWBOYS!"

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll second Denim Chicken's post...

"Exactly, if we were going to do that why not just keep Murray and your pick?"

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
We could do a million 'what if' scenarios, reference other players and trades and stats, injuries, etc etc

2nd and 6th round picks.
3yrs 25-30million most of it guaranteed, and front loaded with signing bonuses and other contract structures.

AP is here in Dallas on a national stage along with Romo and Witten for a 2-3 year run for a SB.
No, it's not a guaranteed SB. But it puts us closer then any other viable roster addition. Especially when considering Romos window.

We have a few extra picks next year, and we have lot of the roster positions pretty much set. Yes, there are some additions we could upgrade via the draft, backup QB,corner, DT, even draft APs replacement...

But for the most part, roster spots are becoming a hard thing to get in Dallas.

I don't know, I understand taking a flyer on CJ2K or some other back that wil become available between now and the season.

But sometimes football isn't Chess, it's just plain old Checkers. I've got AP and he is bigger and faster then your guy.

Wood

Reaction score
I am starting to think there will be trade for RB. He name just won't be Adrian Peterson.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Maybe this was the plan all along and
explains why they blatantly ignored the RB position in the draft.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
No thaxns. Rather use the 1st rounder for a potential qb next year or use a trade up to get a top quarterback.

So we are going to use a first round pick on a QB that will not see the field for 3 more seasons when we are trying to make a SB run?

Sorry, but I am not interested in pissing away first rounders to guard the waterbucket for multiple seasons when I could get me a stud DT or a legit stud RB to help Romo, not replace him.

But maybe that is just me.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Would you be ok with losing Zack Martin or Gregory or Frederick in a couple years because we can't afford to keep them due to the dead money from APs contract? Because it's a real possibility with our cap situation

Just cut Brandon Carr.......................getting rid of his laughable contract would all but pay for Peterson.

O-line stays intact............problem solved.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Hey I understand that.

But it's May 9th.

You haven't given any of the running backs currently on the roster a single opportunity to show what they can do.

If this was after the 2nd preseason game and the Cowboys were averaging 2.5 YPC I'd understand the desire to do something like make a trade. But not on May the 9th.

You act like these guys on the roster just showed up and haven't been given a chance yet. Other than McFadden IT IS THE SAME GUYS FROM LAST SEASON!!!

You know, the same guys that sucked compared to Murray and spent most of the game guarding the water bucket watching Murray kick arse. If these guys are so good, why did the team treat them like they were in the bargain bin at Wal-Marts?

So by the team's own admission, these guys are not even in the same league that Murray was and neither is McFadden when you look at the contract they gave him. Like Spags said, "its a free look and the Boyz can release him at any time without any impact whatsoever on their cap". Yea, that just screams "stud" to me.

Bottom line is that our current group of RBs are not even in the same league as Murray talent wise.............that is why the majority of fans think the idea of "playing tomorrow" with this group is such a joke. And yes, I realize that it is still May and we can add another RB to the roster at some point, but Jerry, Stephen, and Jason have all made comments on how they could play tomorrow with this current group of backs.