Jerry gives "insight" on McCarthy contract/ job status

RS12

Reaction score
"Most of America gets up and they don’t have it guaranteed in front of them. You’re going to write what you’re going to write, but when you ask me about not extending him, my answer is that most of America doesn’t have anything guaranteed down the road. Most folks don’t have guarantees."

"I’ve had coaches in their final year before," he said, pointing to McCarthy’s predecessor, Jason Garrett, as an example. "I just am comfortable like this. There’s nothing that keeps me from extending him next week. Or during training camp. So, it’s not fait accompli that he’s going to coach this year without a contract (extension). I didn’t want to get into it as this particular time. We’ve had other contracts come up that we haven’t extended. No reason other than I wanted to manage it that way.

"You’ve got a very significant problem in the NFL with dead money for coaches. And it’s because you’ve got extended contracts, to where if you let somebody go, you’ve got to pay off their contract. It’s gotten to be so much of an issue that you can decide if you want to do what you do this year and reshuffle the cards next year with them. There’s nothing that says I won’t be extending those coaches next year. They’re all good coaches. Obviously. That’s just the way I do it.

"I’m doing it, to be very candid with you, because we have such a problem with dead money with coaches in the NFL. So, that’s what I’m trying to avoid."

https://www.google.com/search?q=jew...IHCAkQABiABKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Obviously there is more to it but an owner worth north of 10 billion frets over dead money owed to coaches, and some of you think the last 30 years is bad luck.

Last edited:

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
"You’ve got a very significant problem in the NFL with dead money for coaches. And it’s because you’ve got extended contracts, to where if you let somebody go, you’ve got to pay off their contract.
5 plus billion dollar franchise.....Sombody explain to this buffoon that coaches contracts don't count against the Salary cap.....

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
"Most of America gets up and they don’t have it guaranteed in front of them. You’re going to write what you’re going to write, but when you ask me about not extending him, my answer is that most of America doesn’t have anything guaranteed down the road. Most folks don’t have guarantees."

"I’ve had coaches in their final year before," he said, pointing to McCarthy’s predecessor, Jason Garrett, as an example. "I just am comfortable like this. There’s nothing that keeps me from extending him next week. Or during training camp. So, it’s not fait accompli that he’s going to coach this year without a contract (extension). I didn’t want to get into it as this particular time. We’ve had other contracts come up that we haven’t extended. No reason other than I wanted to manage it that way.

"You’ve got a very significant problem in the NFL with dead money for coaches. And it’s because you’ve got extended contracts, to where if you let somebody go, you’ve got to pay off their contract. It’s gotten to be so much of an issue that you can decide if you want to do what you do this year and reshuffle the cards next year with them. There’s nothing that says I won’t be extending those coaches next year. They’re all good coaches. Obviously. That’s just the way I do it.

"I’m doing it, to be very candid with you, because we have such a problem with dead money with coaches in the NFL. So, that’s what I’m trying to avoid."

https://www.google.com/search?q=jew...IHCAkQABiABKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Obviously there is more to it but an owner with north of 10 billion frets over dead money owed to coaches, and some of you think the last 30 years is bad luck.

UGH. Ugh. Ugh. No more buying tickets or merchandise until this team is sold.

It's the most valuable franchise in ALL of sports, and they act like my dearly-departed Grandma who had to pinch pennies.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Obviously there is more to it but an owner worth north of 10 billion frets over dead money owed to coaches, and some of you think the last 30 years is bad luck.
Yep, it is a joke that they are worried about 10m in dead money for a coach when they are making billions of dollars. Pretty much another reason that I am quickly losing interest in the NFL after 50 years of being a die hard fan. I don't watch baseball or basketball anymore and I watch about 20% of the NFL that I used to. More time for *******.

XXLMike

Reaction score
Jerry’s quote is truly capitalistic and something that you might hear one of the legendary Robber Barons say.
Rockefeller would’ve stepped over you in the freezing snow to get to his doorstep and not thought twice about it… So would JJ.

I respect it it’s Americano. It’s capitalism. Nobody is owed anything.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score

the money is what is the main worry for coach jones

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
So, the "NFL" has a problem with coach dead money, so...we're doing our part to keep bad coaches? We've just gotta see those contracts through, no matter how awful the season ends? Yup...Jerry wants to win. Wouldn't bring in a real HC because Cap Boy probably crunched the numbers. How do we continue to get more embarrassing?

CWR

Reaction score
And Jones is 100% correct here. Who in America is guaranteed their job tomorrow? Nothing wrong with living on the edge a little, nothing is guaranteed in life, why should your job be?
Unless you're under contract, then you're pretty much guaranteed to stay until it expires. Results don't matter as much. Jerry is super concerned with dead money on coaches.