Jerry gives "insight" on McCarthy contract/ job status

Big_D

Reaction score
He has a hard time firing all these puppet coaches but he didn't when he forced out a two time SB winning coach. That's what we have to deal with. Next year is just another wasted year.
We know that every year in March, but this year they got an early jump on getting those nails in the coffin like only they can do.

Flinger

Reaction score
Business owner worrying about his bottom line. Shocking. Shocking I tell you. How about you all stop trying to make a huge issue out of every little thing. You will live longer. Ae all know Jerry bought the Cowboys to make money, not for his love of this franchise. Unfortunately he loves the attention almost as much as the money. It is what it is. We just have to wait him out.

All we can do is sit back and hope for the best. And maybe watch the games from behind the couch. Gonna be some ugly games to get through.
Bingo…

All businesses run on the idea of minimizing bottom line growth while maximizing top line growth.

$9B? Not bad top line. But that isn’t Operating revenue (annual income). That is asset value.

Bottom line? Fixed employee salary at some arbitrary cost number called the Cap? Not bad.

What’s the gap? Profit.

Where does that profit go? To their family consortium. To fund other interests - such as Oil & Gas which has a higher annual return that the 1 football interest on an annual operating income basis.

Coaching? Unconstrained by player cap. But, believe me, highly constrained by GAPP management.

An extra million or two for coaching means no million or two for further oil & gas investment.

It is all about profit - and that profit is provided to the Jones family in many ways.

Don’t forget, clowns are just people behind a mask that are intended to deceive.

Flamma

Reaction score
Who in America is guaranteed their job tomorrow?
What he is really talking about is guaranteed money tomorrow. Plenty of people in America have guaranteed contracts. Including myself. Yeah, I can be fired tomorrow, but they'll have hefty dead money.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep, it is a joke that they are worried about 10m in dead money for a coach when they are making billions of dollars. Pretty much another reason that I am quickly losing interest in the NFL after 50 years of being a die hard fan. I don't watch baseball or basketball anymore and I watch about 20% of the NFL that I used to. More time for *******.
There's no dead cap for a coach. Jerry is mixing talking about the coach, and player dead cap.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Well then why did you give him FIVE years Jerry??

The guy was desperate for a job and would have taken less easily.

I guess Jerry was dazzled by the lies and Mikes Super Bowl stories.

rags747

Reaction score
What he is really talking about is guaranteed money tomorrow. Plenty of people in America have guaranteed contracts. Including myself. Yeah, I can be fired tomorrow, but they'll have hefty dead money.
Most do not have guaranteed contracts, IBM, AMZN, ORCL, MSFT, TSLA, AAPL. Most employees for highly successful companies have no contracts. Now unionized jobs I imagine do have contracts.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There's no dead cap for a coach. Jerry is mixing talking about the coach, and player dead cap.
Yet another example of how he is losing it quickly. Every time he talks he makes things worse, and still won’t shut up.

It also shows exactly how much control the kid has. The cheapness is becoming very evident in every move or non move. Jerry may have final say or whatever, but I don’t think he has much to do with the general direction of anything.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well then why did you give him FIVE years Jerry??

The guy was desperate for a job and would have taken less easily.

I guess Jerry was dazzled by the lies and Mikes Super Bowl stories.
I think they just hired him because he was a known coach that won a super bowl. As opposed to picking some random coordinator.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time believing that is an actual Jerry quote.

He speaks directly, coherently and with none of his usual backwoods "charm". He even worked "fait accompli" in.

This must have been AI Jerry.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yet another example of how he is losing it quickly. Every time he talks he makes things worse, and still won’t shut up.

It also shows exactly how much control the kid has. The cheapness is becoming very evident in every move or non move. Jerry may have final say or whatever, but I don’t think he has much to do with the general direction of anything.
I agree with you. I think final say is all the control he has. Nothing else. I was talking about this with someone else on these boards who didn't agree with me. I think that started around 2012. Jerry went from an all in gambler to conservative miser overnight? I won't believe that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think they just hired him because he was a known coach that won a super bowl. As opposed to picking some random coordinator.
He was a clear yes man that had a SB trophy.

Another situation where Jerry forced a coordinator on a new HC because they won’t eat contracts.

It even happened with Parcells and Zimmer. Parcells practically invented the 34 defense but ran Zimmers 43 for two years….so Jerry didn’t have to eat Zimmers contract.

He has no respect for coaching at all. Funny that the reason this team hasn’t had success is inferior coaching, but football man Jerry knows best.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
"Most of America gets up and they don’t have it guaranteed in front of them. You’re going to write what you’re going to write, but when you ask me about not extending him, my answer is that most of America doesn’t have anything guaranteed down the road. Most folks don’t have guarantees."

"I’ve had coaches in their final year before," he said, pointing to McCarthy’s predecessor, Jason Garrett, as an example. "I just am comfortable like this. There’s nothing that keeps me from extending him next week. Or during training camp. So, it’s not fait accompli that he’s going to coach this year without a contract (extension). I didn’t want to get into it as this particular time. We’ve had other contracts come up that we haven’t extended. No reason other than I wanted to manage it that way.

"You’ve got a very significant problem in the NFL with dead money for coaches. And it’s because you’ve got extended contracts, to where if you let somebody go, you’ve got to pay off their contract. It’s gotten to be so much of an issue that you can decide if you want to do what you do this year and reshuffle the cards next year with them. There’s nothing that says I won’t be extending those coaches next year. They’re all good coaches. Obviously. That’s just the way I do it.

"I’m doing it, to be very candid with you, because we have such a problem with dead money with coaches in the NFL. So, that’s what I’m trying to avoid."

https://www.google.com/search?q=jew...IHCAkQABiABKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Obviously there is more to it but an owner worth north of 10 billion frets over dead money owed to coaches, and some of you think the last 30 years is bad luck.
so its all about the money. not winning. bottom line. he said it right there

75boyz

Reaction score
Bingo…

All businesses run on the idea of minimizing bottom line growth while maximizing top line growth.

$9B? Not bad top line. But that isn’t Operating revenue (annual income). That is asset value.

Bottom line? Fixed employee salary at some arbitrary cost number called the Cap? Not bad.

What’s the gap? Profit.

Where does that profit go? To their family consortium. To fund other interests - such as Oil & Gas which has a higher annual return that the 1 football interest on an annual operating income basis.

Coaching? Unconstrained by player cap. But, believe me, highly constrained by GAPP management.

An extra million or two for coaching means no million or two for further oil & gas investment.

It is all about profit - and that profit is provided to the Jones family in many ways.

Don’t forget, clowns are just people behind a mask that are intended to deceive.
Insightful post.
Great job man.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
More proof that winning is not Jerry's #1 objective. He'd likely be willing to hang onto a lame duck HC rather than fire him, eat the dead money hit, and sign a coach who could actually help the team.

John813

Reaction score
These guys are cheapskates
Hopefully Jerry sells the team