Jerry gives "insight" on McCarthy contract/ job status

Reaction score
"Most of America gets up and they don’t have it guaranteed in front of them. You’re going to write what you’re going to write, but when you ask me about not extending him, my answer is that most of America doesn’t have anything guaranteed down the road. Most folks don’t have guarantees."

"I’ve had coaches in their final year before," he said, pointing to McCarthy’s predecessor, Jason Garrett, as an example. "I just am comfortable like this. There’s nothing that keeps me from extending him next week. Or during training camp. So, it’s not fait accompli that he’s going to coach this year without a contract (extension). I didn’t want to get into it as this particular time. We’ve had other contracts come up that we haven’t extended. No reason other than I wanted to manage it that way.

"You’ve got a very significant problem in the NFL with dead money for coaches. And it’s because you’ve got extended contracts, to where if you let somebody go, you’ve got to pay off their contract. It’s gotten to be so much of an issue that you can decide if you want to do what you do this year and reshuffle the cards next year with them. There’s nothing that says I won’t be extending those coaches next year. They’re all good coaches. Obviously. That’s just the way I do it.

"I’m doing it, to be very candid with you, because we have such a problem with dead money with coaches in the NFL. So, that’s what I’m trying to avoid."

https://www.google.com/search?q=jew...IHCAkQABiABKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Obviously there is more to it but an owner worth north of 10 billion frets over dead money owed to coaches, and some of you think the last 30 years is bad luck.
Whatever, people want him to bluntly state that he expected more from MM and he's not sure if he's going to extend the coach's contract,,, which of course he's never going to do,,, so he indirectly says, "Hey, if I extend him now there's a chance I'll have some dead money on this contract is one or two years." Same difference.