Jerry gives the season a good grade so far

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is no way around the fact that the injuries to Overshown, Vander Esch, and especially Diggs, have weakened a defense that had the potential to be historically dominating. This has and will most certainly impact the results of this season.

I'm still waiting for some players to show some signs of that breakout season that the Cowboys now desperately need. The team would recover some of the potential before Diggs injury. As far as potential defenders in this category I see nothing from Sam Williams, Israel Mikuamu, Chauncey Golston, Neville Gallimore, or Nashton Wright. They are huge disappointments six games in.

Daron Bland and Damone Clark seem to be the only young defensive draft picks with a measurable increase in their contributions to the team's success. I had really hoped for more.
Valid, but new young players and accountability for the defense have already shown metal and strong ability to adjust. I'm waiting on the Eagles. Pass center of field and shut down Brown. Hurts can't run enough yards to win it on his legs.

rockj7

Reaction score
I mean..hate Jerry as much as you'd like but we've played 4 of 6 games on the road and have the 2nd best record in football. Only eagle fan and trolls will hate on Jerry's comment. It's not like the Cowboys should have a bad grade.
The arse whooping we took is still fresh in our memories. That's why to me not speaking for anyone else Jerry's statement feels off.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Jerry has proven to be a masterful, football mind and it’s on display multiple times every week with radio show and tv interviews. Unfortunately, the other 31 GMs are too busy making their roster better, watching game film, and they are not distracted on brokering the next AT&T stadium tractor pull, motocross event, or the next George Strait concert.

In other related news, my wife and I went to the Dallas Stars opening hm game a few seasons ago and George “Strait” dropped the ceremonial puck. His face was beet red and he was stumbling drunk as he made his way to center ice. The only thing worse is his music.

plasticman

Reaction score
Why was the franchise sold to specificaly Jerry Jones. The dynasty years under that same Jerry Jones brought in 3 Lombardis. The game changed during that decade and there is absolutely no guarantee that any other owner could have even done that...just facts.
No guarantee that another owner couldn't have.

Somebody was going to hire Jimmy Johnson, the major catalyst to those early 90's teams.

Then again, Championships could very well have been won by Landry. I'm not going to say three championships but it was possible.

When the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs in 1974 it was thought that the Cowboys needed to go through a 3 to 5 year rebuilding process. They were losing the starters that made them contenders since 1966. There were even claims that Landry didn't have the ability to rebuild and should retire. Landry's answer to these pundits was to send the 1975 team to the Super Bowl with 12 rookie contributors. There is no reason to believe that he couldn't rebuild the Cowboys.

Landry had already terminated his DC and was working on a new defense, one that seemed to use elements of the 3-4.

Besides that, we should remember that many of those SB starters were already on the team before Jimmy Johnson arrived. They included O-line starters like Newton, Gogan and Tuinei. They included receivers like Michael Irvin and Kelvin Martin as well as defenders Ken Norton and Jim Jeffcoat. It was common knowledge they were going to draft Troy Aikman. Landry had even been to some of his games.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
Whats the measurement now. A winning record against below .500 teams? The standard has dropped so much in the last 27 years. Im tired of this crap. The bar needs to be raised
That's what we've been doing for years now beating bad teams and losing against good ones.

Inevitably it will lead to us making the playoffs and losing in the WC or Divisional round, again.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No guarantee that another owner couldn't have.

Somebody was going to hire Jimmy Johnson, the major catalyst to those early 90's teams.

Then again, Championships could very well have been won by Landry. I'm not going to say three championships but it was possible.

When the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs in 1974 it was thought that the Cowboys needed to go through a 3 to 5 year rebuilding process. They were losing the starters that made them contenders since 1966. There were even claims that Landry didn't have the ability to rebuild and should retire. Landry's answer to these pundits was to send the 1975 team to the Super Bowl with 12 rookie contributors. There is no reason to believe that he couldn't rebuild the Cowboys.

Landry had already terminated his DC and was working on a new defense, one that seemed to use elements of the 3-4.

Besides that, we should remember that many of those SB starters were already on the team before Jimmy Johnson arrived. They included O-line starters like Newton, Gogan and Tuinei. They included receivers like Michael Irvin and Kelvin Martin as well as defenders Ken Norton and Jim Jeffcoat. It was common knowledge they were going to draft Troy Aikman. Landry had even been to some of his games.
Pittsburgh, Dallas, New England, Kansas City, San Francisco...who else? Pretty darned unlikely beyond that group.

Texas A&I Headcoach, Gil Steinke, was there in New York along with Landry and Lombardi...

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I feel like people were talking that we’d be lucky to hit the bye 4-2. With that being said we did better than expected