Jerry Has Been Our Head Coach for 25+ Years

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Source: FW Star Telegram Article "Why does Stephen A. Smith say the Dallas Cowboys should’ve hired Bill Belichick as coach?"
URL: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article285700386.html

Super Bowl winning TE Shannon Sharpe just said what myself and a few others have been saying for over 25 year: Jerry IS our head coach and the Dallas "hc" has little to no power.

“The coaches can’t coach because Jerry is the coach. Whatever Mike McCarthy says, whatever the D-Coordinator says, [players know] they can go upstairs to Jerry and override because he’s emasculated the head coach the coach is a coach in theory in title only,” said Sharpe.

It's nice to see someone in the sports media finally speak the truth about why we can't advance deep into the playoffs. Having a figurehead hc with no power is crippling when it comes time to make a deep playoff run against great teams. But the important thing to Jerry is that he is comfortable with the "head coach", winning be damned.
This is NEWS?
Of course, he has since Jimmy said enough of this madman.
All the coaches do is say YES Jerry and hold the practice and meeting where our players can have fine dinning experiences!!!

TheCritic

Reaction score
I contend that any NFL front office should be held accountable for playoff results. That's normal fan expectations. And Since only Dallas and Washington remain as the only hapless NFC teams that have failed to reach the NFC Championship game in the past 28 years, then that's historically bad and unacceptable from a fan's point of view. Winning in the playoffs is all I care about. Pls review your Cowboys history to see when we used to be the gold standard of NFL franchises. We are a joke and have been for almost three decades. I'm glad you're happy with the worst 28 stretch in franchise history but hey, we're all fans just some have higher standards.
You fool! What makes you think that I am happy with 28 years of Cowboys futility? Hardly!
And of course every NFL team has expectations to be successful every season but at the same time, that's not reality. Virtually every other NFL team recognizes when it's time to flush and rebuild. But not the Cowboys! They go on believing they can have their cake and eat it too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You fool! What makes you think that I am happy with 28 years of Cowboys futility? Hardly!
And of course every NFL team has expectations to be successful every season but at the same time, that's not reality. Virtually every other NFL team recognizes when it's time to flush and rebuild. But not the Cowboys! They go on believing they can have their cake and eat it too.
And Jethro has proven us all wrong.

He has been able to have his cake and eat it .

He’s continues to live out his dream being a celebrity football guy and face of his franchise despite his lack of success this era on the field.

He’s laughing all the way to the bank.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I’ve been saying this for over 25 years. It’s been obvious he wanted Jimmys role: in charge of personnel, control over the team on the field and face of the franchise.

For years he was only hiring a coordinator with the fake HC title. Gailey, Campo, Wade, Garrett. Guys just happy to have the job who would put up with Jerry’s meddling, which also includes Barry and McCarthy.

Parcells was the outlier because Jerry was desperate after three straight 5-11 seasons and wanting the new stadium. But once he was gone it was back to business as usual with no more “walking on eggshells.”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Source: FW Star Telegram Article "Why does Stephen A. Smith say the Dallas Cowboys should’ve hired Bill Belichick as coach?"
URL: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article285700386.html

Super Bowl winning TE Shannon Sharpe just said what myself and a few others have been saying for over 25 year: Jerry IS our head coach and the Dallas "hc" has little to no power.

“The coaches can’t coach because Jerry is the coach. Whatever Mike McCarthy says, whatever the D-Coordinator says, [players know] they can go upstairs to Jerry and override because he’s emasculated the head coach the coach is a coach in theory in title only,” said Sharpe.

It's nice to see someone in the sports media finally speak the truth about why we can't advance deep into the playoffs. Having a figurehead hc with no power is crippling when it comes time to make a deep playoff run against great teams. But the important thing to Jerry is that he is comfortable with the "head coach", winning be
Thanks for sharing .

As it was stated in this article others have been saying this for 25 years but it’s always nice to see refreshed.

TheCritic

Reaction score
And Jethro has proven us all wrong.

He has been able to have his cake and eat it .

He’s continues to live out his dream being a celebrity football guy and face of his franchise despite his lack of success this era on the field.

He’s laughing all the way to the bank.
I'm talking about this belief that you can contend season after season without ever having to rebuild. I don't think it works in the long run.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It sounds like you've lowered the bar for this team. I have never lowered the bar and after 28 years without a conf championship game appearance, nothing short of this is acceptable. Three decades w/o a conf championship appearance is very difficult to pull off in the salary cap era but our owner has done it. If you love reg season results only, then that's a very low bar for success.
No art we don't lower anything we just choose to not be negative Debbie downer sky is falling 24/7 with posts that are anti cowboy which is very odd on a Cowboys website... Fact is he's not the coach he's the GM and the owner and outside of him talking a lot he has a lot of layers of management between him and the coach and just because you hear one or two stories over 35 years doesn't make it all true they don't go over the head of the coach for anything but occasionally it happens on teams just like Bill Belichick and Tom Brady got into it about the backup quarterback situation with the drafting of garoppolo and brissett and guess who got shipped off ohh that's right it was against bill belichick's wishes that they traded away both those players and kept Tom Brady a couple more years... Truth is the owners and GM's get involved on a daily basis and yeah it might be nice just to see a actual GM title name but will mcclay is the GM and all these nonsensical narratives made-up by fans that have no proof whatsoever who are just bitter and upset because of the drought we're in which by the way is not the longest drought ever...​

It's not the longest drought in any sport and especially in the NFL so was Jerry coaching the Philadelphia Eagles was he's the GM when they've only won one title in 60 years I mean was he part of the Kansas City staff that took 51 years between their Super Bowl appearances was he part of any of these other teams who can't even win in the regular season some of them have never been to a Super Bowl and there's a handful that's never won a Super Bowl and there's still some that are having droughts right now and we could just go all over sports the Jerry Jones run the Texas Rangers????

I mean the Texas Rangers were around since 1970 and he just won their first title is Jerry had full control over the other sports teams in DFW because last time I checked we have three major sports teams that are not the Dallas Cowboys that are not ran by Jerry Jones and between the three of them they only have three titles that's three in their lifetime would you like to add up all those years and those droughts??​

In fact it's very normal for teams that go through cycles and droughts to rebuild and things to go their way and get a little luck along the way to win a championship and yeah it would be nice to get to an NFC championship game we're all feeling that same disappointment every year but making up narratives and keep posting stuff that are not true validated show me where the entire team ignores our head coach and our coaching staff and goes to Jerry with everything show me the proof show me the videos show me the all the statements because it's very rare and we have heard a few but for the most part it's not what's really going on...

There's at least 20 fan based narratives that are not true and it gets old having to come out here and then have someone post it and then the next guy says true true hell where's the proof don't say 28 years because I already just went over that and we're not even all the teams I mean what was that baseball team that went 100 years had the curse of the bambino I mean this happens all over sports and we're not even the one in the NFL with the longest drought known in the NFL...

Yes it's disappointing but has nothing to do with Jerry being the GM and owner because ohh all the other teams that do it more standardized ohh they're winning so much ohh wait you only have like one or two examples if they went all in but the other thirty teams in the 31 teams not winning Super Bowls every year most of them not consistently even getting close to the Super bowl you know teams allegedly being set up differently than the Cowboys somehow still don't have the blueprint because I see them fire their GM their head coaches make changes all the time and still don't get any closer than us...

So you and your little group of Debbie Downers you know the pitchfork and torch crew on every single day that's all you post about is negativity when you know it's not gonna change a thing I mean is this your therapy session I believe that's what people do here they just vent and vent and vent even though the season ended a long time ago they're still saying the same thing every year...

If it doesn't look like it's gonna change you can change teams you can burn your jerseys delete all your accounts and not follow the Cowboys anymore it's that easy... Ohh wait you wouldn't be able to come on and try to get with your little group of haters and just say negative things 24/7 yeah that'll change everything no the only change you can control is yourself and your patterns and your habits daily you don't need to follow the Cowboys probably be healthier if you didn't..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jones could minimize the criticism from Shannon Sharpe and others by replacing himself as general manager. The move would not remove any personal power from himself as owner and president of the franchise.

He has intentionally maintained an iron grip on football operations as general manager for decades. He has demonstrated zero inclination to hire (or promote) a qualified football executive as general manager in the future.

The criticism will continue for that reason. Observer criticism is one thing Jones cannot both control or spin for his own benefit.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I really appreciate you calling me arrogant and a fool.

ArtClink

Reaction score
No art we don't lower anything we just choose to not be negative Debbie downer sky is falling 24/7 with posts that are anti cowboy which is very odd on a Cowboys website... Fact is he's not the coach he's the GM and the owner and outside of him talking a lot he has a lot of layers of management between him and the coach and just because you hear one or two stories over 35 years doesn't make it all true they don't go over the head of the coach for anything but occasionally it happens on teams just like Bill Belichick and Tom Brady got into it about the backup quarterback situation with the drafting of garoppolo and brissett and guess who got shipped off ohh that's right it was against bill belichick's wishes that they traded away both those players and kept Tom Brady a couple more years... Truth is the owners and GM's get involved on a daily basis and yeah it might be nice just to see a actual GM title name but will mcclay is the GM and all these nonsensical narratives made-up by fans that have no proof whatsoever who are just bitter and upset because of the drought we're in which by the way is not the longest drought ever...​

It's not the longest drought in any sport and especially in the NFL so was Jerry coaching the Philadelphia Eagles was he's the GM when they've only won one title in 60 years I mean was he part of the Kansas City staff that took 51 years between their Super Bowl appearances was he part of any of these other teams who can't even win in the regular season some of them have never been to a Super Bowl and there's a handful that's never won a Super Bowl and there's still some that are having droughts right now and we could just go all over sports the Jerry Jones run the Texas Rangers????

I mean the Texas Rangers were around since 1970 and he just won their first title is Jerry had full control over the other sports teams in DFW because last time I checked we have three major sports teams that are not the Dallas Cowboys that are not ran by Jerry Jones and between the three of them they only have three titles that's three in their lifetime would you like to add up all those years and those droughts??​

In fact it's very normal for teams that go through cycles and droughts to rebuild and things to go their way and get a little luck along the way to win a championship and yeah it would be nice to get to an NFC championship game we're all feeling that same disappointment every year but making up narratives and keep posting stuff that are not true validated show me where the entire team ignores our head coach and our coaching staff and goes to Jerry with everything show me the proof show me the videos show me the all the statements because it's very rare and we have heard a few but for the most part it's not what's really going on...

There's at least 20 fan based narratives that are not true and it gets old having to come out here and then have someone post it and then the next guy says true true hell where's the proof don't say 28 years because I already just went over that and we're not even all the teams I mean what was that baseball team that went 100 years had the curse of the bambino I mean this happens all over sports and we're not even the one in the NFL with the longest drought known in the NFL...

Yes it's disappointing but has nothing to do with Jerry being the GM and owner because ohh all the other teams that do it more standardized ohh they're winning so much ohh wait you only have like one or two examples if they went all in but the other thirty teams in the 31 teams not winning Super Bowls every year most of them not consistently even getting close to the Super bowl you know teams allegedly being set up differently than the Cowboys somehow still don't have the blueprint because I see them fire their GM their head coaches make changes all the time and still don't get any closer than us...

So you and your little group of Debbie Downers you know the pitchfork and torch crew on every single day that's all you post about is negativity when you know it's not gonna change a thing I mean is this your therapy session I believe that's what people do here they just vent and vent and vent even though the season ended a long time ago they're still saying the same thing every year...

If it doesn't look like it's gonna change you can change teams you can burn your jerseys delete all your accounts and not follow the Cowboys anymore it's that easy... Ohh wait you wouldn't be able to come on and try to get with your little group of haters and just say negative things 24/7 yeah that'll change everything no the only change you can control is yourself and your patterns and your habits daily you don't need to follow the Cowboys probably be healthier if you didn't..
Thank you for that predictable, detailed response.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"I use that excuse all the time. When employees cry about me not doing my job, I just smile and say that's what the owner pays me to do.
I don't have any self-respect to try to do my job." Jerry excuses makers who don't hold the players accountable.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Jones could minimize the criticism from Shannon Sharpe and others by replacing himself as general manager. The move would not remove any personal power from himself as owner and president of the franchise.

He has intentionally maintained an iron grip on football operations as general manager for decades. He has demonstrated zero inclination to hire (or promote) a qualified football executive as general manager in the future.
Yeah, he wants to be involved in every aspect and front and center. Be able to pick up the phone and make a trade without notifying anyone til afterwards.

In KC most probably know Hunt owns the team, but you never see or hear from him except at the SB trophy ceremony.
And I doubt most, without googling, know the name of the Chiefs GM, much less what he looks like. Same with most teams.

But we have an egotistical owner who named himself GM and de facto HC who never misses an opportunity to be in front of a camera or mic. Grade A buffoon.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The Cowboys were in 14 of the first 26 NFCC games, and that includes the disastrous 2nd half of the 80s. :laugh: at whoever started the the "bandwagon" fans thread.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

It's nice to see someone in the sports media finally speak the truth about why we can't advance deep into the playoffs. Having a figurehead hc with no power is crippling when it comes time to make a deep playoff run against great teams. But the important thing to Jerry is that he is comfortable with the "head coach", winning be damned.
that's been the case for 25 years. Aikman (and I loved Aikman) was why we drafted Lafleur. Aikman liked him. players have often gone up stairs and complained. its happening as we speak, because Parsons is telling Jerry what type of LBs he wants on the team. the line of authority is very murky which causes half the problems.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

They can't advance deep in the playoffs because of Jerry the GM. It's a personnel problem and things like this just further distract from that. We had Bill Parcells here. Does anyone think he was emasculated by Jerry? He said that he loved working with Jerry. Jerry's problem is that he continues to think he knows how to build a Super Bowl team just because he caught lightning in a bottle after he bought the team and hired Jimmy, who did the heavy lifting in putting together those teams. When Jimmy left, Jerry devalued the draft and tried to get us back to the Super Bowl by throwing money at free agents instead. After Brandon Carr (and having Bill Parcells as a head coach), Jerry and his son decided to emphasize the draft and de-emphasize free agency. Both of these philosophies neglect an area of roster-building and leave your team with vulnerabilities.

The fact that we haven't advanced to an NFC Championship Game since 1995 shows that the one constant (Jerry the GM) is the problem. I guess if you want to believe it's because he undermines the head coach, that's your prerogative. I think it's much simpler than that. As a GM, he's ultimately responsible for personnel and he's come up short on that responsibility.

Gambit

Reaction score
I contend that any NFL front office should be held accountable for playoff results. That's normal fan expectations. And Since only Dallas and Washington remain as the only hapless NFC teams that have failed to reach the NFC Championship game in the past 28 years, then that's historically bad and unacceptable from a fan's point of view. Winning in the playoffs is all I care about. Pls review your Cowboys history to see when we used to be the gold standard of NFL franchises. We are a joke and have been for almost three decades. I'm glad you're happy with the worst 28 stretch in franchise history but hey, we're all fans just some have higher standards.
Let's explore this narrative some. Just for a little perspective on how challenging it actually is to reach the Championship game, maybe it will allow us to appreciate the greatness that has been this franchise's history and allow us to realign the narrative some.

And Since only Dallas and Washington remain as the only hapless NFC teams that have failed to reach the NFC Championship game in the past 28 years
Begs the question, well, who does have the most NFC Championship game appearances in the NFL, not just in last 28 years, but in history.

The answer I believe will surprise some. Some of the most storied franchises will I think be an eye opener and demonstrate, exactly how difficult the task is each year, which is why regular season games, do indeed matter.

1. San Francisco 49ers with 19 appearances 7 of those coming since 2011, so prior they had 12.
2. Dallas Cowboys 14 appearances
3. Los Angels Rams 11
T-4 Green Bay Packers 9
T-4 Minnesota Vikings 9
6 Philadelphia Eagles 8
7. Washington Commanders
T-8 New York Giants 5
T-8 Chicago Bears 5
T-10 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4
T-10 Carolina panthers 4
T-10 Atlanta Falcons 4
T-13 Seattle Seahwawks 3
t-13 New Orleans Saints 3
T-15 Arizona Cardinals 2
T-15 Detroit Lions 2

This shows that even with a 28 year drought, Dallas is #2 in NFC Championship game appearances, by quite a few to be honest. Closest team is 3 away and with 4 teams only at 3 appearances, that is a good distance to lead by. What can we learn from it?
1. It shows exactly how dominant Dallas was prior to 28 years ago, as up until 2011 well, really beyond that, they were #1 in NFC Championship game appearances
2. It shows that it is not an easy feat to do, if it were, more than 3 teams would have more than 3 10 time appearances. Not in just last 28 years, but the entire history of those franchises.

So while I get the frustration, and I can see how people would point to this and ignore the entire list and focus only on San Fran and Dallas, the expectation that a team reaches the NFC Championship game every year or they suck is just simply not a realistic one.

We, as a franchise, are coming off 3 12-5 seasons and 3 play off appearances in a row. Not since the 90s have we done that. This accountability you are demanding seems out of place in the overall big picture of playoffs and NFC Championship game appearances. Maybe let's let the team cook some more, add a few more pieces to the puzzle and see where it leads and have some optimism that the corner is about to be turned on the drought.

MikeT22

Reaction score
that's been the case for 25 years. Aikman (and I loved Aikman) was why we drafted Lafleur. Aikman liked him. players have often gone up stairs and complained. its happening as we speak, because Parsons is telling Jerry what type of LBs he wants on the team. the line of authority is very murky which causes half the problems.
Because Jerry, the GM, has no clue.