Jerry Has Been Our Head Coach for 25+ Years

ArtClink

Reaction score
They can't advance deep in the playoffs because of Jerry the GM. It's a personnel problem and things like this just further distract from that. We had Bill Parcells here. Does anyone think he was emasculated by Jerry? He said that he loved working with Jerry. Jerry's problem is that he continues to think he knows how to build a Super Bowl team just because he caught lightning in a bottle after he bought the team and hired Jimmy, who did the heavy lifting in putting together those teams. When Jimmy left, Jerry devalued the draft and tried to get us back to the Super Bowl by throwing money at free agents instead. After Brandon Carr (and having Bill Parcells as a head coach), Jerry and his son decided to emphasize the draft and de-emphasize free agency. Both of these philosophies neglect an area of roster-building and leave your team with vulnerabilities.

The fact that we haven't advanced to an NFC Championship Game since 1995 shows that the one constant (Jerry the GM) is the problem. I guess if you want to believe it's because he undermines the head coach, that's your prerogative. I think it's much simpler than that. As a GM, he's ultimately responsible for personnel and he's come up short on that responsibility.
Preach it brother!

ArtClink

Reaction score
Let's explore this narrative some. Just for a little perspective on how challenging it actually is to reach the Championship game, maybe it will allow us to appreciate the greatness that has been this franchise's history and allow us to realign the narrative some.

Begs the question, well, who does have the most NFC Championship game appearances in the NFL, not just in last 28 years, but in history.

The answer I believe will surprise some. Some of the most storied franchises will I think be an eye opener and demonstrate, exactly how difficult the task is each year, which is why regular season games, do indeed matter.

1. San Francisco 49ers with 19 appearances 7 of those coming since 2011, so prior they had 12.
2. Dallas Cowboys 14 appearances
3. Los Angels Rams 11
T-4 Green Bay Packers 9
T-4 Minnesota Vikings 9
6 Philadelphia Eagles 8
7. Washington Commanders
T-8 New York Giants 5
T-8 Chicago Bears 5
T-10 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4
T-10 Carolina panthers 4
T-10 Atlanta Falcons 4
T-13 Seattle Seahwawks 3
t-13 New Orleans Saints 3
T-15 Arizona Cardinals 2
T-15 Detroit Lions 2

This shows that even with a 28 year drought, Dallas is #2 in NFC Championship game appearances, by quite a few to be honest. Closest team is 3 away and with 4 teams only at 3 appearances, that is a good distance to lead by. What can we learn from it?
1. It shows exactly how dominant Dallas was prior to 28 years ago, as up until 2011 well, really beyond that, they were #1 in NFC Championship game appearances
2. It shows that it is not an easy feat to do, if it were, more than 3 teams would have more than 3 10 time appearances. Not in just last 28 years, but the entire history of those franchises.

So while I get the frustration, and I can see how people would point to this and ignore the entire list and focus only on San Fran and Dallas, the expectation that a team reaches the NFC Championship game every year or they suck is just simply not a realistic one.

We, as a franchise, are coming off 3 12-5 seasons and 3 play off appearances in a row. Not since the 90s have we done that. This accountability you are demanding seems out of place in the overall big picture of playoffs and NFC Championship game appearances. Maybe let's let the team cook some more, add a few more pieces to the puzzle and see where it leads and have some optimism that the corner is about to be turned on the drought.
I appreciate our history and know our history very well. What's your defense for the past 28 seasons? Only us and Washington can't reach a conf championship. Its the salary cap era and it ain't that hard to reach a conf championship game. Every team the past 28 seasons has done it in the NFC other than us and Washington. That's indefensible but I admire your effort on trying.

Gambit

Reaction score
Its the salary cap era and it ain't that hard to reach a conf championship game
And yet, not many have done it multiple times. How do you reconcile that with your demands?

That's indefensible but I admire your effort on trying
indefensible is a quite a strong word. I would say you are allowing your frustrations over ride the bigger picture here, as well as the most recent positive accomplishments of the team.

I get people are frustrated. It is frustrating. But again, the data actually shows that is not as easy as you think it is.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
and a total failure in big games, including the post-season, during that marvellous run of success. That is not too shabby in your world as a Cowboys fan. And he is on the verge of handcuffing this team to his QB for another 5 years...not too shabby say you?
He plays AND coaches? damn all at the age of 80

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
You must really love those regular season results.... Coach Jerry thanks you for not having higher expectations.
No, it was sarcasm because this is such a ridiculous idea that Jerry be blamed for everything and players routinely go over the coaches head to get what they want. Countless examples of players that teammates wanted back, not being brought back or signed or traded for.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
It sounds like you've lowered the bar for this team. I have never lowered the bar and after 28 years without a conf championship game appearance, nothing short of this is acceptable. Three decades w/o a conf championship appearance is very difficult to pull off in the salary cap era but our owner has done it. If you love reg season results only, then that's a very low bar for success.
It’s actually sarcasm…I haven’t lowered the bar at all. I just don’t subscribe to “blame Jerry for everything” line that you guys do because he owns real estate in your head. I also can realize that while the goal is always the Super Bowl that the team is more stabile and a winning environment than it’s been since 1996- which is more than we’ve been able to say for a long time.

Super Bowl or bust is a bumper sticker.

Trendnet

Reaction score
It sounds like you've lowered the bar for this team. I have never lowered the bar and after 28 years without a conf championship game appearance, nothing short of this is acceptable. Three decades w/o a conf championship appearance is very difficult to pull off in the salary cap era but our owner has done it. If you love reg season results only, then that's a very low bar for success.
I hAvEnT lOwerED tHe BAr!

Get over yourself dude.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s actually sarcasm…I haven’t lowered the bar at all. I just don’t subscribe to “blame Jerry for everything” line that you guys do because he owns real estate in your head. I also can realize that while the goal is always the Super Bowl that the team is more stabile and a winning environment than it’s been since 1996- which is more than we’ve been able to say for a long time.

Super Bowl or bust is a bumper sticker.
:hammer:100

LysleE

Reaction score
Jetty has successfully conditioned the expectations of most of the fan base to the extent that a 12-win season is a successful one; and that they were soooooo close in getting that playoff win, but they like their guys and are going to maintain the status quo.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Source: FW Star Telegram Article "Why does Stephen A. Smith say the Dallas Cowboys should’ve hired Bill Belichick as coach?"
URL: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article285700386.html

Super Bowl winning TE Shannon Sharpe just said what myself and a few others have been saying for over 25 year: Jerry IS our head coach and the Dallas "hc" has little to no power.

“The coaches can’t coach because Jerry is the coach. Whatever Mike McCarthy says, whatever the D-Coordinator says, [players know] they can go upstairs to Jerry and override because he’s emasculated the head coach the coach is a coach in theory in title only,” said Sharpe.

It's nice to see someone in the sports media finally speak the truth about why we can't advance deep into the playoffs. Having a figurehead hc with no power is crippling when it comes time to make a deep playoff run against great teams. But the important thing to Jerry is that he is comfortable with the "head coach", winning be damned.
name 5 instances where a player has gone to Jerry to override the HC has said?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Source: FW Star Telegram Article "Why does Stephen A. Smith say the Dallas Cowboys should’ve hired Bill Belichick as coach?"
URL: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article285700386.html

Super Bowl winning TE Shannon Sharpe just said what myself and a few others have been saying for over 25 year: Jerry IS our head coach and the Dallas "hc" has little to no power.

“The coaches can’t coach because Jerry is the coach. Whatever Mike McCarthy says, whatever the D-Coordinator says, [players know] they can go upstairs to Jerry and override because he’s emasculated the head coach the coach is a coach in theory in title only,” said Sharpe.

It's nice to see someone in the sports media finally speak the truth about why we can't advance deep into the playoffs. Having a figurehead hc with no power is crippling when it comes time to make a deep playoff run against great teams. But the important thing to Jerry is that he is comfortable with the "head coach", winning be damned.
I would be fine with BB being our coach if it was for a complete rebuild. Challenge with that is his age. The culture in Dallas with BB would have to completely change and I don't believe going from 1 extreme to the other would work for several players on this team.

Not even sure Jeruh could handle the culture change to be honest. He would be screwing it up behind the scenes.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why stop at a Conference Championship? Sounds like your bar is lower.

ArtClink

Reaction score
neither Shannon Sharpe nor SAS should get mentioned here much less both. Its like asking Putin to be objective about the Ukrain
Why stop at a Conference Championship? Sounds like your bar is lower.
Its a 28 year monkey to get off this franchise's back. Simple. Amazing how many fans are content with winning the East periodically and no love for deep playoff runs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's true. The players attitude always takes on his. They talk about making money instead of focusing on winning 100%
Fans definition of winning is different than the players. Does CD and Micah want to win a SB? Or do they want to be the highest paid in the league for their position?

Pretty sure they think they are winning when they sign that new contract. Signing for less does not guarantee a SB. The entire league is about making money. That is why you need a GM that knows what the hell he is doing.

Some one who can say No. Someone who is not afraid to let some one walk or to trade a great player to make the team better overall. Someone who understands a team is better than 4 Super Stars.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
He plays AND coaches? damn all at the age of 80
A teams success is measured by championship rings, not just wins and losses. Are you suggesting that he is doing all he can to make this happen? Are you saying he is successful because he has done enough for regular saeson success? Sure players/coaches are to blame but how can you think he's been successful?

eromeopolk

Reaction score

You're late. This started with the Son of a Bum HC hiring after Red Head Hand Clapper was hired.

Since 1994 It has been Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and Jerry Defacto HC Jones. That is why the Arlington Jonesboys will never get to a NFC Championship game or Super Bowl.

Leadership starts with the Head Coach, then the QB, then the other players. That has not existed since Jerry fired Jimmy Johnson. But it existed from 1960-1993. That is when they were the Dallas Cowboys.