Jerry Has Been Our Head Coach for 25+ Years

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
A teams success is measured by championship rings, not just wins and losses. Are you suggesting that he is doing all he can to make this happen? Are you saying he is successful because he has done enough for regular saeson success? Sure players/coaches are to blame but how can you think he's been successful?
You’re contradicting yourself…first, if success is only “measured by championship rings” (your words)- and that’s your only measuring stick, than Jerry has 3 of them- more than most owners and franchises. That’s why you can’t just use that as your only metric otherwise by your standards and words Jerry would be a successful owner.

I don’t think Jerry is without blame, I’ve actually killed him for years and think he’s made a ton of horrible decisions. He’s also made good decisions as well. My point is in this era of cowboys football, the McCarthy era, the team Is building something. They’re becoming a consistent playoff contender who’s in the hunt for the top seed in the conference year in and year out. They need to make the next leap and translate that to post season success.

Measuring success by only Super Bowl rings is just silly. Obviously the goal is always a championship and years where you don’t win you’ve fallen short and that sucks but it’s much more nuanced than that in the modern Nfl. Ultimately if Jerry and ownership doesn’t have a successful off season and make the right moves to improve the team and they need to rebuild in a year or 2 then yes, absolutely this era would have been a failure but right now it’s tbd where they go from here.

Big_D

Reaction score
He should just stop with the charade and finally put the whistle on.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Source: FW Star Telegram Article "Why does Stephen A. Smith say the Dallas Cowboys should’ve hired Bill Belichick as coach?"
URL: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article285700386.html

Super Bowl winning TE Shannon Sharpe just said what myself and a few others have been saying for over 25 year: Jerry IS our head coach and the Dallas "hc" has little to no power.

“The coaches can’t coach because Jerry is the coach. Whatever Mike McCarthy says, whatever the D-Coordinator says, [players know] they can go upstairs to Jerry and override because he’s emasculated the head coach the coach is a coach in theory in title only,” said Sharpe.

It's nice to see someone in the sports media finally speak the truth about why we can't advance deep into the playoffs. Having a figurehead hc with no power is crippling when it comes time to make a deep playoff run against great teams. But the important thing to Jerry is that he is comfortable with the "head coach", winning be damned.
Waaaaa! Poor me!!!!!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You must really enjoy watching the team get thoroughly embarrassed in the playoffs every year. Or maybe you just don't care.
No I enjoy watching you yahoos go into depression afterwards.

Sjoseph316

Reaction score
It’s about time someone with a voice said it, All things Cowboys must go through Jerry, and that’s why we have been mediocre for 28 years.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The fact that players can go over the HC is a serious problem. I wonder if other teams experience this with players going over the HC to the GM to get things overruled. With the rumors of the FO kinda dictating who plays and what players involvement will be in the game plan it’s pretty obvious who is in charge. Which could also explain why some of the playoff game plans just look so odd.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
“When I die Jerry, it will be up to you to carry on the tradition….”

usatsi_7565745.jpg

rambo2

Reaction score
It sounds like you've lowered the bar for this team. I have never lowered the bar and after 28 years without a conf championship game appearance, nothing short of this is acceptable. Three decades w/o a conf championship appearance is very difficult to pull off in the salary cap era but our owner has done it. If you love reg season results only, then that's a very low bar for success.
12 wins 3 years in a row is a very high bar.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Source: FW Star Telegram Article "Why does Stephen A. Smith say the Dallas Cowboys should’ve hired Bill Belichick as coach?"
URL: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article285700386.html

Super Bowl winning TE Shannon Sharpe just said what myself and a few others have been saying for over 25 year: Jerry IS our head coach and the Dallas "hc" has little to no power.

“The coaches can’t coach because Jerry is the coach. Whatever Mike McCarthy says, whatever the D-Coordinator says, [players know] they can go upstairs to Jerry and override because he’s emasculated the head coach the coach is a coach in theory in title only,” said Sharpe.

It's nice to see someone in the sports media finally speak the truth about why we can't advance deep into the playoffs. Having a figurehead hc with no power is crippling when it comes time to make a deep playoff run against great teams. But the important thing to Jerry is that he is comfortable with the "head coach", winning be damned.
Super Bowl Wins
Jerry 3
Landry 2

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jerry Has Been Our Head Coach for 25+ Years, and you come back year after year. Talking draft, FA and old washed-up vets, and how this is our year.

Jerry gets a chuckle out of that every year.
Jerry,"Stephen can you believe these idiots think we will win this year."?
Stephen "Yeah Daddy, I could take a crap on a plate and give it to them and tell them it's prim rib and they'd eat it up." *chuckles*

plymkr

Reaction score
It sounds like you've lowered the bar for this team. I have never lowered the bar and after 28 years without a conf championship game appearance, nothing short of this is acceptable. Three decades w/o a conf championship appearance is very difficult to pull off in the salary cap era but our owner has done it. If you love reg season results only, then that's a very low bar for success.
Agreed

plymkr

Reaction score
Super Bowl Wins
Jerry 3
Landry 2
I would change that too:
Super Bowl wins
Landry 2
Jimmy 2
Jerry 1

The players knew not to circumvent Jimmy. Barry was worthless, Jerry gets credit for coaching that Super Bowl.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Yeah, we settle for not shabby now, awesome!
And 36-15 ain't great.
How his championship game record since becoming HC?
36-15 isn’t great? No, the end results weren’t great but 12-5 is. Wait so you are settling for championship games? I thought it was Super Bowl or bust lol

ArtClink

Reaction score
36-15 isn’t great? No, the end results weren’t great but 12-5 is. Wait so you are settling for championship games? I thought it was Super Bowl or bust lol
Yes, only one team can win the Super Bowl and only four teams can mk the conf championship game. But it's not too much to ask from ownership to get us to a conf championship game once in a while, not once every three decades and there's no confidence we can mk the conf championship game as long a Jones family member is making the final football decisions (see past 28 seasons). The bar is the Super Bowl but when its been 28 years and counting, the bar becomes just mk the conf championship game. Us long suffering fans think that's a very reasonable expectation, esp in the salary cap era.

You continue to strongly indicate you are content with just winning the east and perhaps a wild card game 4 times in 28 seasons. Godspeed.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Super Bowl Wins
Jerry 3
Landry 2
Glad you're happy with the past 28 seasons with no deep playoff runs. Jerry needs more fans like you to support his habit. I trust you have bought more than your allotment of game tickets, SWAG, and Jean Jones Jeans to really prove what a big fan you are.