Jerry: "If we got em talking about us then we're doing our job"

JBS

Reaction score
That's fan logic, which is what we always use, but that's not the logic that Jerry uses.

Make no mistake, Jerry knows if the Cowboys were to win a Super Bowl, both his revenue and team valuation would increase considerably.

The problem is that Jerry is a businessman and he knows that 80% of potential is better than 50% or worse. To him, the risks-vs-rewards of the remaining 20% of the 100% a Super Bowl would bring does not offset the drop that a failed attempt would bring.

Jerry is quite content with 80% being the reward for failing, but after 28 years, 80% is becoming more and more unacceptable to fans.

At least with a 50% or worse season fans would get a rebuild of some kind. 80% makes it too easy for Jerry to think the Cowboys are one or two players or one or two lucky calls or bounces away from success, so he just rinses and repeats year after year.
Correct. That’s fan logic, which is what everyone says , which is why I asked you because nobody , until now has actually aswered the question. But you answered it quite well.

phildadon86

Reaction score
That's fan logic, which is what we always use, but that's not the logic that Jerry uses.

Make no mistake, Jerry knows if the Cowboys were to win a Super Bowl, both his revenue and team valuation would increase considerably.

The problem is that Jerry is a businessman and he knows that 80% of potential is better than 50% or worse. To him, the risks-vs-rewards of the remaining 20% of the 100% a Super Bowl would bring does not offset the drop that a failed attempt would bring.

Jerry is quite content with 80% being the reward for failing, but after 28 years, 80% is becoming more and more unacceptable to fans.

At least with a 50% or worse season fans would get a rebuild of some kind. 80% makes it too easy for Jerry to think the Cowboys are one or two players or one or two lucky calls or bounces away from success, so he just rinses and repeats year after year.
Jerry gets the best of both worlds by not winning.

If they get bounced in the first round. He gets the media discussing him and the Cowboys ad nausem. Social media going insane, and him getting in front of every microphone he can to talk. They win he gets the same thing but he has to invest and possibly have a bad season that way.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
:laugh:We don't have a football team. We have a marketing corporation. Marketing the team to get Jerry more money. That's what pisses me off about all this Dak stuff. Yes, Dak sucks in some playoff games. He's played well in about two or three of them. Jerry hasn't done anything but destroyed this team for 28 years. Yet I don't see the same passion.:huh:So that believes me to think it's more than his play some are mad at. I don't see how you hate Dak for 8 years 3 with records of 12-5...Yet silent on how bad Jerry has ben for 28 years and all that money he got while doing it....makes no sense...

CWR

Reaction score
Jerry most definitely gets it .. and a lot of the media gets it .. but a lot of Cowboys fans don't get it.

Jerry's priority is popularity because popularity generates revenue and increase valuations.

Jerry wants to win, but only as a byproduct, not as the priority.
Yeah, he's doing his job as an owner. It's the GM part he needs improving.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's sad that this guy still peddles this garbage. Imaging having fans and analyst rip you and your team apart yearly and thinking it's a good thing?? Whatever you have to tell yourself when there's no accountability.

plymkr

Reaction score

That’s it! That’s the clip I tried to post in another thread. I tried posting it several times and it didn’t work and then I just gave up.

But anyway hearing that pretty much sums up being a Cowboys fan. Jerry is more interested in putting on a reality show than winning. At some point we as fans have to accept that Jerry’s goal is popularity, not competition.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:clap:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
:laugh:We don't have a football team. We have a marketing corporation. Marketing the team to get Jerry more money. That's what pisses me off about all this Dak stuff. Yes, Dak sucks in some playoff games. He's played well in about two or three of them. Jerry hasn't done anything but destroyed this team for 28 years. Yet I don't see the same passion.:huh:So that believes me to think it's more than his play some are mad at. I don't see how you hate Dak for 8 years 3 with records of 12-5...Yet silent on how bad Jerry has ben for 28 years and all that money he got while doing it....makes no sense...
Plenty of people knock Jerry all the time. The only difference is deep down everyone knows that the Jones family will continue to own the Cowboys for generations, meanwhile Dak is a realistic option to actually move on from at some point. Possibly this year, possibly a few years down the road. Jerry may live two more decades and then just pass the team on to his kids.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Imagine the talk if they actually won big games and stopped choking in them.
I dunno.

The Ravens just lost a big game, but the Cowboys offseason will be talked about much more than the Ravens offseason.

Heck, losing big games gets us talked about MUCH MORE than if we won em. I guarantee you that.

This is something Jerry has built for 30 years.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Plenty of people knock Jerry all the time. The only difference is deep down everyone knows that the Jones family will continue to own the Cowboys for generations, meanwhile Dak is a realistic option to actually move on from at some point. Possibly this year, possibly a few years down the road. Jerry may live two more decades and then just pass the team on to his kids.
Bold> Until proven otherwise, I believe a few years down the road will happen because he has Jones' 100% support. I suggested Prescott would be in Dallas for a long time back in 2016 for that reason and that assumption has held true.

CWR

Reaction score
Jerry most definitely gets it .. and a lot of the media gets it .. but a lot of Cowboys fans don't get it.

Jerry's priority is popularity because popularity generates revenue and increase valuations.

Jerry wants to win, but only as a byproduct, not as the priority.
I typically admire conviction. That said at some point he has to go off merit and know that his model and some good fortune have been enough to stay relevant, but that is all. With changing data you have to be willing to adjust.

I agree with his priorities being on revenue and popularity, but knowing Jerry he has to know how exponential the growth would be in both with a championship.

Hes went from a wildcatter willing to take huge risk to completely over correcting and becoming ultra conservative.

In the middle ground a championship lies. Yeah thats probably optimistic but we can't be that far off and win this much. He's got to be more aggressive in FA.

I'd also add this team needs a hard nosed coach. We need that to circumvent players running to Jerry and the cultural problems that creates. These guys have got to toughen up and put the team and winning above all personal goals.

One forgotten byproduct of our FA tactic is it brings in a lot of players needing to prove themselves and chasing contracts. Which is great on the surface but not necessarily great for a team first attitude. They need their stats to get paid.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Bold> Until proven otherwise, I believe a few years down the road will happen because he has Jones' 100% support. I suggested Prescott would be in Dallas for a long time back in 2016 for that reason and that assumption has held true.
Very well could be, I certainly wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Dak extension. That said though you do have a realistic situation where Dak could be released/traded and you have a young QB Jerry just invested in a few months ago so the anti Dak crowd is going to be out in full force.