Twitter: Jerry Jones addresses media at Combine - 02/27/2020

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Considering the business is football I’d argue he suks at it.

He’s a salesman. Who couldn’t sell the most Iconic label in sports?
I'm sorry buddy but transforming a team that was losing money when he bought it into the most valuable sports enterprise in the universe says you may be a bit wrong about Jerry's ability to get folks to buy-in to his product. Just saying. :cool:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm sorry buddy but transforming a team that was losing money when he bought it into the most valuable sports enterprise in the universe says you may be a bit wrong about Jerry's ability to get folks to buy-in to his product. Just saying. :cool:
Im not denying his salesmanship ability.

I’m just saying he’s probably not the only one who could have pimped our Iconic label.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I partly disagree. This brand has had to have success to become an iconic label. That success occurred before Jerry bought the team but also after. And in the 90's Jerry contributed to that success. Jerry actually
has a decent football IQ. He was an offensive lineman and co-captain of the Arkansas Razorbacks championship team back in the day. Also he has been on the NFL football competition committee for many years. Jerry also paved the way for small market teams to increase their revenue to keep the league and teams viable. That took vision and foresight and pro-football development knowledge.

Now as a general manager he has been inconsistent and adequate at best. I think his age and major business affairs have really been getting in the way of effectively general managing. I wish we could get a 110% dedicated, experienced general manager at the position but that may not happen until he passes, and Stephen appears like he does not want any part of it.
I’m very familiar with Jerry’s history. And yes his early success with Jimmy paved the way for him.

But the Equal TV Revenue established with the NFL Merger in 1970 paved the way for small market teams to remain competitive and solvent.

Jerry’s vision was Stadium Sponsorship.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The potential to lose Cooper should motivate Dak and Jerry to get a deal done.

I'm betting much depends upon how much Cooper is demanding to stick around. They likely want to retain him but the cost to do so might challenge their willingness to cough it up. Here's hoping they're willing to anti up what it takes to secure him, as long as it's within reason. ;)

cowboyed

Reaction score
I’m very familiar with Jerry’s history. And yes his early success with Jimmy paved the way for him.

But the Equal TV Revenue established with the NFL Merger in 1970 paved the way for small market teams to remain competitive and solvent.

Jerry’s vision was Stadium Sponsorship.

Jerry had a hand in supporting Equal TV revenue as well as more revenue generation avenues with stadium based sales to my recollection. I know the NFL wasn't very happy with him leading the charge.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Oh good lort Jerry. Don't you ever have a Honey To Do List to get done. Shew already....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im not denying his salesmanship ability.

I’m just saying he’s probably not the only one who could have pimped our Iconic label.
Doesn't take any salesmanship to sell people what they're more than willing to buy, we see this in politics all the time.

However, I disagree that any other owner that we've seen in the NFL since 1989 would have or could have pimped this ride like Booger has because so few are their own GMs and self promoters. Most prefer to hang back out of the spotlight. Do you see other owners giving interviews at the Combine?

This team and it's history were a match made in heaven for this owner. He markets and promotes it into the #1 ratings and revenue team while accomplishing little or nothing on the field. It's like one of those films that just gets promoted beyond all others only to find out people coming out of the theater are pretty blasé about it. It's all hype and very little heart.

The Dallas Cowboys are the "big hat, no cattle" team in all of pro sports.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Treats him like a son but I don’t know if the same the other way around. A son wouldn’t ask for more in expense of killing the cap. All he’s saying is they want Dak but it has to “fit” (money).

ESisback

Reaction score
If Dak is really like a son, then pay the man and move on to other important football business items. Dang.

True, but you also don’t give a brat everything he screams for. Sometimes the family has to come before the individual.

ESisback

Reaction score
Doesn't take any salesmanship to sell people what they're more than willing to buy, we see this in politics all the time.

However, I disagree that any other owner that we've seen in the NFL since 1989 would have or could have pimped this ride like Booger has because so few are their own GMs and self promoters. Most prefer to hang back out of the spotlight. Do you see other owners giving interviews at the Combine?

This team and it's history were a match made in heaven for this owner. He markets and promotes it into the #1 ratings and revenue team while accomplishing little or nothing on the field. It's like one of those films that just gets promoted beyond all others only to find out people coming out of the theater are pretty blasé about it. It's all hype and very little heart.

Yeah, I get your point, but maybe the more accurate slogan would be “big hat, fewer cattle”. While it’s been 25 years since the last SB, we STILL have 3 Lombardi’s and how many playoff games under his watch? Could be much worse.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Amazing how people read more into my statement than worded. I didn’t say everyone could have pimped it as much . I just said that the Iconic label could have been sold by many.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Personally , I’d rather have taken our chances with former NBA owners ; Lakers Dr Jerry Buss & Mavs Donald Carter.

We could have still had prosperity adding to the Iconic label while a more professional and normally ran franchise.

And I’d taken the odds of winning championships their way without all of the crappola we’ve had to deal with under Jerry.

I don’t follow the gospel of selling our souls for those 3Rings.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry had a hand in supporting Equal TV revenue as well as more revenue generation avenues with stadium based sales to my recollection. I know the NFL wasn't very happy with him leading the charge.
Sorry to correct you . But Jerry spoke out against Equal TV Revenue and was fined by the league.

“Last week, Jerry Jones violated a gag order issued by commissioner Roger Goodell with respect to labor issues, openly criticizing the current agreement-- particularly the current system of revenue sharing in--the NFL. Due to this, Jerry will have to share some of his personal revenue with Mr. Goodell's office.
At least $100,000 worth”

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/jerry-fined-for-labor-comments/1846053/

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Amazing how people read more into my statement than worded. I didn’t say everyone could have pimped it as much . I just said that the Iconic label could have been sold by many.

But just not as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think most fans , at least I know personally , would rather have had the 29 years previous to Jerry’s era.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If I were Dak I’d be asking for the moon. The Jones boys are aching to make him the highest paid NFL player. It’s comical actually.

Yeah, Jerry thinks he is making the players feel loyal, but the players really don't control the contract process and the agent sees this as additional leverage. Jerry's getting played by the agents!

ESisback

Reaction score
I think most fans , at least I know personally , would rather have had the 29 years previous to Jerry’s era.

Me too, but let’s return from La La Land. We haven’t won a SB in 25 years mostly because of Jerry, but the 3 we did win was partly because of Jerry also.

There’s good AND bad, but you hate Jerry so much you only hear the bad.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Me too, but let’s return from La La Land. We haven’t won a SB in 25 years mostly because of Jerry, but the 3 we did win was partly because of Jerry also.

There’s good AND bad, but you hate Jerry so much you only hear the bad.
Yea , but what good would there have been without Jimmy ? And I’ve given Jerry his due for hiring Jimmy and his support early.

It’s like a marriage gone bad. After 25 years of abusive and neglected behavior are you really still touting the honeymoon?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, Jerry thinks he is making the players feel loyal, but the players really don't control the contract process and the agent sees this as additional leverage. Jerry's getting played by the agents!
I’m not even sure Jerry cares.

It’s like with Dak. I think he’d of already made him the highest paid QB in the league if not for the pushback he’d get from over paying him.