Video: Jerry Jones- Amari Cooper is as good a route-runner as has ever put on a Cowboys uniform

Praxit

Reaction score
....What Jerry meant was, I know I can sell anyone shoes in the NFL... ;)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he is wrong. Jerry is pretty eccentric but at least he does his part to try and prop up his players
He's not propping up his players, he's propping up himself. Who made the call to trade for this player, anyway?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So what you're saying is any other discussion besides "Dak is the best QB ever" is unreasonable? Just curious... My post was about Dak's play... If he would learn to control his throws when he actually throws it (and not dink and dunk it), I would have a whole different comment that I can make...

No, I'm saying it is unreasonable to say you'd rather have Weeden. That's just an inflammatory statement, or an absolutely ignorant one.

I've been critical of Prescott and I remain critical of him. Some on here who see no evil with him would probably brand me a hater. However, there's a big difference in not saying "Dak is the best QB ever" and "I'd rather have Weeden." There's a wide gulf between those two ridiculous extremes.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Man I've has enough of this "route running" tag that's thrown around here, this is the only team that talk about route running as though it's the be all end all. When people talk about Julio, Brown, Evans, Hopkins they don't talk about their route running they just say they're tops in the league because to be among the greats you would assume that route running is there

This reminds me of the "well at least the players didn't quit on Garrett" theme, they're not suppose to quit, you don't get a cookie as a coach when your team doesn't quit that's the minimal.

That's like saying "well at least my car didn't stop on me". sheez.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Man I've has enough of this "route running" tag that's thrown around here, this is the only team that talk about route running as though it's the be all end all. When people talk about Julio, Brown, Evans, Hopkins they don't talk about their route running they just say they're tops in the league because to be among the greats you would assume that route running is there

This reminds me of the "well at least the players didn't quit on Garrett" theme, they're not suppose to quit, you don't get a cookie as a coach when your team doesn't quit that's the minimal.

That's like saying "well at least my car didn't stop on me". sheez.
It's just a stupid buzzword this team uses to cover up the fact that this offensive scheme the Cowboys run is trash.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Cooper has always been a very good route runner, actually better than Julio at Bama.

I would say he's the best pure route runner the Cowboys have had since Lance Alworth and part of his routes included going airborne, a trait Lynn Swann picked up.

Much of Irvin's route running consisted of muscling and pushing off, Cooper is more agile and fluid.

Cooper is a lot like Alworth in the way he uses his skill not his size to get the edge. They both used the combination of quickness and speed to get in and out of the cuts. Cooper is actually accelerating out of the cut. Dez's problem was he was too stiff and had to decelerate in his cuts to keep from losing his balance.

The WR's that used their quickness and speed into and out of cuts, when they really weren't speed merchants, so effectively were Rice and Harrison. How many times did you ask yourself 'hell, everyone on the planet knew they were going to him, how did he get open'?

I like Cooper, always have because of his demeanor, like most Bama boys, but I think the ancillary benefit of acquiring him is the acceleration on the learning curve for a very promising Michael Gallup. He has what it takes to be the best #2 the Cowboys ever had.
Great post. Didn't even think about the tutelage Coop could give Gallup. Coop is a very precise route runner who also "thinks" the game. I hope Gallup hangs out with him this summer and picks his brain. They could be the best 1-2 WR combo since the Playmaker and Alvin Harper if they work hard.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d only put Michael Irvin above him. For those of you making fun of Jerry for this statement, what WR in a Cowboys uniform past or present is a better route runner?

Cooper is making DBs look silly.

Yes, it's difficult to compare because Irvin won with a much different method of route running.

Irvin was within about +/- an inch of where Aikman expected him to be after his break.

Cooper's route running is a perfect fit for the 2018 offense and Dak.

Irving was the perfect fit for the Aikman offense.

I remember Aikman being frustrated with Kevin Williams because his break depth varied by about a foot.

Dez couldn't even stay with 2 yards of a consistent break point in his routes.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He's right on that statement and it is rare that he is accurate in anything football related. Cooper's breaks are insane to watch!
His footwork is incredible to watch. Man jerry this trade could work out....

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
Cooper is without a doubt the best route runner I've ever seen in a Cowboys uniform. The closest I can think of is Terry Glenn, but he was also doing it much later in his career, if Amari keeps working on his craft he'll be an absolute terror in a few years. Miles Austin should also get a some mention, he wasn't the technician Cooper is but his ability to cut at speed off the wrong foot gave CBs absolute fits when he was healthy.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
I know we like to give Jerry Crap(well deserved I might add) but does anyone know if he watches film? Not even joking, it seems like he does.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Jerrah says it..

If Cris Carter says it, I'll believe it.

That was a lot of nice background on Cooper's career as a route runner going back to highschool.

People like to pooh pooh taking Oakland's "trash". But the poorly run teams are where you can get the underutilized players. The Cowboys have been good about doing their due diligence on the intel for such players.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's more the entire picture with Jerry and why people laugh at him. His hyperbole is always over the top. He loves talking about how great his players are which in turn is just another way to pay himself on the back for acquiring said player.

Honestly, what GM/owner does and says stuff like this with the frequency that Jerry does? No one. What owner/GM makes weekly appearances on TV/radio, is always in the press talking, etc? None that I know of.

At this point, he's just a cartoon.
What media hounds a GM/Owner like they do Jerry?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I know we like to give Jerry Crap(well deserved I might add) but does anyone know if he watches film? Not even joking, it seems like he does.

I bet Jerry watches film, but if you want to give him credit, give it for having an organization that does good due diligence on players.

It doesn't always work out, particular when we try the problem children, but we've been pretty good at finding talent.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Cooper is pretty good, yeah. I didnt realize he was that fast, and he's got elite acceleration. I was a bit surprised when he smoked all those Commanders last game.

When healthy, Terry Glenn was definitely in the conversation. He was like a 4.6 guy at 5'10 that got by on his route running.