Jerry Jones and NFLPA working to change NFL Marijuana policy

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There is still a strong enough old guard that could block something like this.

Old money owners are not equipped or inclined to deal with something like this. In addition to Richardson, the Rooneys, Hunt, McCaskey, Mara/Tisch, Bidwell, Brown, Benson and Martha Ford fall in that group.

I know it is nice to pretend that Jerry Jones really controls the rest of the owners like puppets, but this is a substantial policy change with significant PR impact to your average owner to take on. Until it becomes even more mainstream than it is now, like another collection of states passing relaxed laws, it is highly unlikely for the NFL to get comfortable with it. Things move slowly in the NFL and something this socially significant is not something that Jones can negotiate all by himself.

If you doubt that, all you have to see how players like Eugene Monroe were effectively blackballed once they started speaking out about it. The vast majority of people still subscribe to the idea that it is dangerous, despite your impression that it is sweeping the nation.

Rooney's dead, I don't agree with your position on Brown considering how they evaluate players, I don't know what Mara thinks on the subject and neither do you.

Generally speaking you are just going by their age and not necessarily their ideology. further there are 32 owners and even if you could speak for all of the 8 teams you listed that still is no a fait accompli.

I doubt your position considering Monroe retired after being perpetually hurt with the Ravens.

Offensive tackle Eugene Monroe wasn't going to be short on suitors this offseason after a surprise release from the Baltimore Ravens, but he has opted to retire instead.

In an article for The Players' Tribune, Monroe formally announced his retirement Thursday and cited concerns over concussions and his long-term health as the primary reasons behind his decision to call it a career.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...gene-monroe-announces-his-retirement-from-nfl

All Monroe proves is that Biscotti did not like it.

And I never said that Jerry Jones controls the owners like puppets. I never said it was going to happen; I just said it improves the chances. That does not detract from one of the most powerful owners in the NFL openly advocating for it. That gives all kinds of latitude for the Eugene Monroe's of the world to speak about it openly.

And again the last electoral cycle is writing on the wall as it pertains to public sentiment. The concern over public backlash does not hold water.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I will try to argue the relevance of this without interjecting my own personal bias into the equation. As long as there is a federal statute that prohibits the possession, use, and distribution of marijuana, what difference does it make if the NFLPA and Jerry Jones are working to change NFL policy? The policy can not encourage illegal activity.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I will try to argue the relevance of this without interjecting my own personal bias into the equation. As long as there is a federal statute that prohibits the possession, use, and distribution of marijuana, what difference does it make if the NFLPA and Jerry Jones are working to change NFL policy? The policy can not encourage illegal activity.

Not taking action is not condoning. There is no law that they have to condone federal policy either.

As has been pointed out the NBA, MLB, and NHL don't punish players for it.

Smashin222

Reaction score

They do not need to test for or punish anyone. That is law enforcement's job.

NHL, MLB, and NBA are examples, not to mention the vast majority of private enterprises in the US.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We have a thread whose topic is marijuana, the NFL, and the NFLPA. I understand it is difficult to keep the conversation from drifting into law enforcement, etc. but let's keep it on topic otherwise the thread will be moved or closed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That makes not sense. If they don't test, the players don't get suspended.

The laws are the same regardless. Even in States where it is illegal, they rarely enforce it unless it's a large quantity.

In one scenario Randy Gregory would have been playing and in the other he isn't.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That makes not sense. If they don't test, the players don't get suspended.

The laws are the same regardless. Even in States where it is illegal, they rarely enforce it unless it's a large quantity.

In one scenario Randy Gregory would have been playing and in the other he isn't.
If you know the rules but can not comply then face the consequences. It's not about a pro or con stance on marijuana, it's about respecting NFL policy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you know the rules but can not comply then face the consequences. It's not about a pro or con stance on marijuana, it's about respecting NFL policy.
If there is no rule against it, then there is nothing to disrespect.

Not only would it keep players from being suspended, it would make it an option for players to decrease their usage of narcotic pain pills by smoking weed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

There is no requirement for the NFL to test or suspend for marijuana.

Nice strawman though.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If there is no rule against it, then there is nothing to disrespect.

Not only would it keep players from being suspended, it would make it an option for players to decrease their usage of narcotic pain pills by smoking weed.
Forget the Marijuana testing issue. If there was a rule prohibiting half shirts being worn by players, hell yes it is a stupid rule but it's still easy to comply with and anyone that can't would be subject to the consequences and rightfully so. Some folks are natural born rebels that break rules just for the sake of breaking rules. The others have a drug problem.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Forget the Marijuana testing issue. If there was a rule prohibiting half shirts being worn by players, hell yes it is a stupid rule but it's still easy to comply with and anyone that can't would be subject to the consequences and rightfully so. Some folks are natural born rebels that break rules just for the sake of breaking rules. The others have a drug problem.
Do half-shirts replace dangerous Narcotic drugs for pain relief?

Disclosure: I have not smoked weed in about 20 years and even then it was on rare occasion. I still would not use it if legal.

If would like to comment more, if this was moved to a Zone where some discussion of the surrounding issues are allowed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Why should we do that?

Your armchair psychology of hypotheticals is great and all but Jerry Jones is lobbying to have the NFL stop testing for marijuana. That is what started this whole discussion.

And the last election was quite clear on where public sentiment is at. Even Maine passed. You are entitled to your opinion and I at least would welcome to hear it but you should not act surprised when your opinion is the minority going forward.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Do half-shirts replace dangerous Narcotic drugs for pain relief?

Disclosure: I have not smoked weed in about 20 years and even then it was on rare occasion. I still would not use it if legal.

I do think that it's a waste of taxpayer dollars to enforce the marijuana laws. The police should spend their time on things that are more productive.
Some would argue that's just substituting one illegal activity for another.

Your disclosure is irrelevant. You are clearly making excuses for illegal activity to prevail.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why should we do that?

Your armchair psychology of hypotheticals is great and all but Jerry Jones is lobbying to have the NFL stop testing for marijuana. That is what started this whole discussion.

And the last election was quite clear on where public sentiment is at. Even Maine passed. You are entitled to your opinion and I at least would welcome to hear it but you should not act surprised when your opinion is the minority going forward.
Jerry has a personal stake in this matter, it effects his business.

Am I acting surprised? I'm pretty accustom to having a minority opinion here. I usually ignore or steer around the topics I agree with because I have nothing to add to further the discussion in those threads.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
are you a cowboys fan?
gregory is the last piece to the puzzle.
i could not give a **** about some nfl rule.
Are you blind? I'm quite obviously a Mets fan... look at my avatar!

just kidding... I lost a bet. I'm a Rangers/Cowboys/Spurs fan.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jerry has a personal stake in this matter, it effects his business.

Am I acting surprised? I'm pretty accustom to having a minority opinion here. I usually ignore or steer around the topics I agree with because I have nothing to add to further the discussion in those threads.

Then why the complaints about your opposition "taking over?" That is what I was talking about.

What does Jones' personal stake have to do with anything? Jerry is doing it publicly and his vote counts.

Despite your grandstanding, there is no criminal liability to the league if they go through changing the testing regime.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Then why the complaints about your opposition "taking over?" That is what I was talking about.

What does Jones' personal stake have to do with anything? Jerry is doing it publicly and his vote counts.

Despite your grandstanding, there is no criminal liability to the league if they go through changing the testing regime.
I said the pro marijuana lobbyist had taken over this thread, why are you labeling them my opposition? I have taken no pro or com marijuana stance here. What I have done is make a stance for an employer to make what every policy they wish to make and expect employees to comply. I also commented on federal law trumping state law no matter the topic.

Jerry's motivation for what he is doing is business.

Grandstanding? Really? You perceive what I'm doing is grandstanding? Thank you, you give me far too much credit. Criminal liability is not dependent on a business putting it's head in the sand and ignoring criminal activity.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Thor is paying the price for your bad karma
The Mets thing is indeed causing bad karma, even for me but what can I do? I lost a bet. Not holding up my end of the bet would cause even worse karma, IMO.