Jerry Jones believes Cowboys can compete with high-scoring teams like the Rams and Chiefs

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No it will not because of the ability of the other teams to take them out of that game plan. Are they going to give up 50? Not likely but there were 3 D TD's last night but there was pass rushing aplenty. The Cowboys do not have a better pass rush than the Rams.

The glaring difference in those two teams last night was painfully apparent. The Cowboys QB is not borderline in the same league with those two and add the play callers vs the one Dallas has and it's no contest.

It doesn't matter what the Cowboys are designed to do if they can't do it. Those two we saw last night, there are more on the way and might be a couple in this 2018 draft class emerging next season. The writing is on the wall, if a team doesn't have one of those trigger guys capable of putting 30+ a game and every game, they're out.
Exactly. The Cowboys defense may keep them a game against one of those teams but they would have to play flawless defense and hope the other team either turns the ball over a few times or fails to execute their plays.

Could the Cowboys beat those teams? Of course. Any team can win on any given day given the right scenarios, but on a normal day of solid execution by both teams, the Cowboys would be chasing the scoreboard right from the start which would alter, if not outright eliminate, their run-first game plan.

pitt33

Reaction score
We’ll see, against the Saints here soon enough.

I could see the defense keeping a game close if we don’t turn the ball over.
If Dallas “gets behind the chains” this game won’t be close.

The Saints have and will readily score against any defense they face this season.

slick325

Reaction score
Unless your team resides in New Orleans, Foxboro, MA or Pittsburgh...there is NO WAY any owner or fan with any lucid thoughts, can think they are playing the type of football the Chiefs and Rams are playing. Scoring points is at a premium against any team but especially against the teams listed above.

Although I like the Dallas defense, it isn't the Bears of '85 or Giants of '86 or the initial SB winning Ravens or the Warren Sapp Bucs or even Buddy Ryan's ridiculously good Eagles defenses. Won't get a stop or turnover every possession. And despite how great Zeke is...your offense won't convert every 3rd down or score TDs instead of FGs throughout a game. C'mon Jerry.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dallas “gets behind the chains” this game won’t be close.

The Saints have and will readily score against any defense they face this season.

I agree, it’s unlikely to be close unless we manage to take the ball away multiple times.

That said, the Saints, Rams, Chiefs. They’ll all probably drop a game to a decent team somewhere along the way.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

I don't agree with Jerry often, but on this he's absolutely right. You don't beat the Rams, Saints or Chiefs by winning in a shootout. You win with the same formula that beat the Falcons (the league's #3 offense). You run the ball, control the clock, keep the ball out of the other team's hands.

I know this board hates that style of offense, but it's a formula to beat high scoring teams.

Defense wins championships and none of the top three teams in the league have a defense this year.

You youngin's will eventually learn. :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QYWaP1.gif

(That's Jerry on the right)

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
instead of worring about the rams or chiefs the cowboys need to really worry about beating the Commanders on Thursday because if they don't beat the Commanders they aint making the playoffs

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a lot of conflicting thoughts about the style of football we saw last night. I don't think you see that type of game much in the playoffs. Yet there are so many new shiny dome/covered stadiums that are faster tracks than the ones of old. Could the Chiefs take that game style into Pittsburgh in January? Could the Rams take that into Lambeau? Unfortunately Jerry built a big living room stadium, where the new style teams have a better chance of running over our game plan (when it actually works)

I for one don't like watching 54-51. But if I was a GM I'd HAVE to realize that's the trend.
That wasn't football like we've known it in the NFL but exactly like some of the college ball. That's what the NFL wants because it increases the entertainment value and pleases the fantasy players.

It is becoming apparent. If a team doesn't have a Tier 1 QB, they're done. They can build a team around a Tier 2 like Prescott but then they have to deal with the injuries and keeping the team together. You get one of them fancy QB's, that's just one player and the NFL has designed the game now that that one player is a bigger difference maker than ever before.

I can only imagine what guys like Elway, Marino, Kelly and Young are thinking about the NFL game today. Did you happen to catch Young last night? He was a kid at Christmas.

And you make a very good point, there are few venues that are challenging to high octane offenses but I wouldn't want to be the Rams or Saints and have to go to CHI in January. I remember when one of the most potent offenses ever put together in San Diego had to go to CIN. The game has become all about getting homefield in the elements that favor your team and I don't like that. I really used to enjoy the weather as an element of the game. Those playoff games in MIN were a hell of a lot better before the dome.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Defensively, the Chiefs and Rams have good defensive linemen. The rest of their defenses are garbage and we all saw that last night.

Good luck against the Steelers and Saints in the postseason.
I think the Rams would play the Saints as their own game. Don't know how Mahomes would do in that kind of weather in PIT or NE.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't agree with Jerry often, but on this he's absolutely right. You don't beat the Rams, Saints or Chiefs by winning in a shootout. You win with the same formula that beat the Falcons (the league's #3 offense). You run the ball, control the clock, keep the ball out of the other team's hands.

I know this board hates that style of offense, but it's a formula to beat high scoring teams.

Defense wins championships and none of the top three teams in the league have a defense this year.

You youngin's will eventually learn. :)

I can't believe people are ignoring what we did to the Falcons offense @ Atlanta and act like we can't defend some of these good offenses.

Our lack of big plays is what will be our downfall. The defense will be fine as long as they stay away from QB's that can run.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys can beat any of these teams, but especially the not the Saints. The Saints have a decent defense.

The other two teams would beat us, but they would not score that many points. Neither team can stop the run, and that is the strength of the Cowboys. If you keep running against this team, and throw the occasional passes, keep the ball away and score TDs instead of playing for FGs. This defense can keep it close, but Awuzie would get killed and doom us!

Kage

Reaction score
Would losing 28 - 17 count as competing? I could see that.

erod

Reaction score
He's right in that Dallas would shorten the game, but games eventually narrow to a battle of quarterbacks, and the Cowboys would get skulled in the end.

Only a crazy collection of fortunate bounces or injuries could result in a Cowboys win.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I can't believe people are ignoring what we did to the Falcons offense @ Atlanta and act like we can't defend some of these good offenses.

Our lack of big plays is what will be our downfall. The defense will be fine as long as they stay away from QB's that can run.

Exactly right. The issue right now with our offense is that we kick too many field goals. If you run this style of ball possession offense, you need to score touchdowns when you get inside the 10 yard line. And you need a few successful shots on play action during the game.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
The problem is some of these teams actually have pretty good Defenses when it comes to pressure and take aways. Last night was a shootout but the scoring included defensive scores.