Jerry Jones: Dak Prescott has room for improvement

OGSixshooter

Reaction score

Dak's career trajectory: "I started on cleanup just like you guys...but now...see...I'm washing lettuce...soon I'll be on fries!!! Then the grill. A year or 2...I make assistant manager...and that's when the big bucks start rolling in..."

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
If I am Jerry and I want to go for Broke. I do 2 things.

1. Bring in Bill Belichick and Vrabel as DC on a 3 year deal. Get BB now while he is a mere 72 (don't wait). Bill is pissed right now and wants to prove something to everyone. Let him.​
2. As BB I would implore Jones to draft a few QB's - let the QB camp begin and if Prescott wins so be it.​
As for how you get rid of MM just make it appear as a mutual understanding - with a closed door payoff. But that's only if you truly want to change the culture and win a few Superbowls. Not sure if Jerry is ready for that.​
I agree. I don't even like the way Bill builds teams or his talent evaluation, but he's a great defensive mind, he values discipline and he would discourage the clown show soap opera we are witnessing. "Feelings" and "culture" would not be valued over production.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...y-jones-dak-prescott-has-room-for-improvement

“The big thing is, we all know there is room for improvement,” Jones said. “The thing that I would emphasize more than anything is that Dak has room for improvement. And not just the scheme around him, but Dak can improve. That’s a big plus, when you’ve been playing the game seven years and you, by assessment, have some room to get better in. He did this year, I expect him to do it next year and the next year.”
No Jerry, after 8 seasons, he is what he is.
Quit blowing smoke at us.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
The biggest improvement Dak needs to make is on his reading defenses. The mental side of the game. Yes he is also slow, lethargic in the pocket and has a weak arm and can't go deep. But his only improvement comes from lots and lots of film study on his own in the off season on defenses that have given him trouble in the past as well as his pass progressions.. He is too lazy to do this so he is not getting any better year after year. He is what he is.... Going into his 9th freaking year is way too late to break old habit of being lazy.
This sounds...bogus. Dak is not lazy. He's not dumb. He doesn't have a "weak" arm...as he regularly overthrows Cooks.

He CHOKES. Choking means you did all the hard and difficult work to afford yourself an opportunity to win something BIG...but nerves, insecurity and pressure get to the person. He's not dumb, he's unreliable. Learn to discriminate.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just because he built a field in his yard to take pictures on doesn’t mean he has good work ethic.

But I do believe “work ethic” is lower down than things like talent, skill, mental skills, and unathletic ability on the “Reasons Dak Sucks” list.
Yeah but he's a great leader. It's obvious that all of his teammates love this guy and would follow him through the gates of hell. Just look at the outpouring of support coming from his teammates and coaches over the last couple weeks...

BlueStar22

Reaction score
The biggest improvement Dak needs to make is on his reading defenses. The mental side of the game. Yes he is also slow, lethargic in the pocket and has a weak arm and can't go deep. But his only improvement comes from lots and lots of film study on his own in the off season on defenses that have given him trouble in the past as well as his pass progressions.. He is too lazy to do this so he is not getting any better year after year. He is what he is.... Going into his 9th freaking year is way too late to break old habit of being lazy.
If you're still under the impression that he can't read defenses, I don't know what to tell y;ou.

stiletto

Reaction score
This sounds...bogus. Dak is not lazy. He's not dumb. He doesn't have a "weak" arm...as he regularly overthrows Cooks.

He CHOKES. Choking means you did all the hard and difficult work to afford yourself an opportunity to win something BIG...but nerves, insecurity and pressure get to the person. He's not dumb, he's unreliable. Learn to discriminate.
Yep, he literally see's ghosts when the lights get bright. The defenses aren't usually different than the ones he carves up on regular occasions. He has performance anxiety when the lights get REALLY bright. That's all there is to it IMO. It's like a pitcher that wins 20+ in the regular season and constantly gets blown up in the Playoffs. (Kershaw)

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
We can make the Cowboys' postseason struggles all about Dak if we want, but remember he is a symptom of a greater disease.

You can treat the symptom, get rid of Dak. But remember the disease will remain, and the next QB will be fighting this ailment that goes back so far, Dallas didn't even sniff the Super Bowl the last five years of Troy Aikman's career. Then came Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, Tony Romo, and then Dak Prescott.

None of them have overcome. Change the QB as many times as you want, become the new Browns or Commanders. It won't matter until change comes at the TOP.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
People that keep saying Dak plays well in regular season as a given, no he does not…. He plays horrible against zone defenses. He’s just lucky he’s in the NFC East where he is playing bums all the time..
Another myth. I saw a graphic somewhere showing Dak's stats against zone are only slightly worse than against man (in the regular season) and well above the NFL average too.

He just can't figure it out when it matters most.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Bro with all due respect that's a 2018 article. Dak in recent seasons has been a much better QB than that.

Not making excuses for him, I am tired of the playoff failures too, but he's not the player he was six years ago either. And I don't think NFL defenses are so dumb he would be carving up as many as he has in recent years too.

Like I said, he can't figure it out in pressure situations in the playoffs. I admit he chokes. But in the regular season he oftentimes looks elite. This is why he's so frustrating.

dupree89

Reaction score
if i may use a dog analogy please..
there is an old saying:

if they don't bite as a pup, they probably will never bite.

khiladi

Reaction score
Bro with all due respect that's a 2018 article. Dak in recent seasons has been a much better QB than that.

Not making excuses for him, I am tired of the playoff failures too, but he's not the player he was six years ago either. And I don't think NFL defenses are so dumb he would be carving up as many as he has in recent years too.

Like I said, he can't figure it out in pressure situations in the playoffs. I admit he chokes. But in the regular season he oftentimes looks elite. This is why he's so frustrating.
I gave you multiple articles to show its hjs track record. The 49ers play primarily zone. Jimmy Ward openly called it out last year after their playoff game. Denver and Fangio played primarily cover 2 shell when they shut out the 6 hand win streak Cowboys who were averaging over 35 PPG 2 years ago and he did it with Miami this year. Even Joe barry primarily runs soft zone and his Packets defenders were getting lit up by guys like Bryce Young before the playoffs when he tried more blitzing and man.

In 2021, Dak was like 1-5 against teams that started out with a lead over Dallas and the teams he ended up winning was a nail biters and against bad defense. He can’t play from behind. The other win against a winning team was with Rush against the Vikings.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I need specifics.....like what is Jerry seeing that he thinks Dak can improve?

He's not gonna get faster...

If he doesn't know the playbook by now...then that is a hopeless mess...

He already throws everyone under the bus....so he leads by fear of getting cut..
That's not changing

Just what exactly is Jerry selling us now?

:popcorn: