Jerry Jones Discusses Contracts and the Salary Cap

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Interpreting this, he sounds like said he paid a couple of contracts too early, meaning rewarded them for play they didn’t earn. This is stated at 1:59 and this is in the context of a question related specifically about Dak, so in a round-about way, I think he’s specifically referring to him and his extension.

That being said, the more I hear this man talk, the more I hate him.

He’s delusional….this shows he has no idea what he’s doing. You pay guys too early before you pay them too late.

And he can’t be saying he paid Dak too early… he paid him after a franchise tag..meanwhile Eagles and Rams paid Goff and Wentz long before…

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But Lamb and Parsons aren’t someone like. Crawford who they paid too early.

All these idiots are doing is costing themselves money/cap space by waiting as other contracts for elite and great players get signed.

We really are screwed as a fanbase.
Exactly. Sure make guys like Crawford earn it. But All Pros? Stupidity…

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
After 30+ years, Jerry is FINALLY taking a step back and demanding to see more from his players before he commits to giving them BIG contracts. Gotta love it!

I'm proud to see Jerry finally taking this approach.
So the logic is….instead of getting them cheaper make them prove it so you have to pay them more? This is exactly why Dak’s cap hit is 59 million….

Brax

Reaction score

Interpreting this, he sounds like said he paid a couple of contracts too early, meaning rewarded them for play they didn’t earn. This is stated at 1:59 and this is in the context of a question related specifically about Dak, so in a round-about way, I think he’s specifically referring to him and his extension.

That being said, the more I hear this man talk, the more I hate him.

One of the few people on earth who know, got to laugh.

Brax

Reaction score
So the logic is….instead of getting them cheaper make them prove it so you have to pay them more? This is exactly why Dak’s cap hit is 59 million….
No Daks cap it is because of pushed money and if he’s not here next year there’s more to pay.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Every single player we give money to like they are some kind of stud turns into a waste of cap space. I do not know why that is but they are facts. Fat Zeke, J Smooth, D Flaw, Jay Rat, Crawford, Dez, etc. the list is endless. If you think that Dak and Martin and Tyron Smith were worth their contracts then you are crazy. If you think that Diggs and Parsons will be worth their contracts you are dreaming.

This franchise is fundamentally flawed and there is no recovering from that. The only time we have a glimmer of hope is when we are forced to purge some of the bloated losers. A group of young players comes in and lifts the whole thing up. They become the new "stars". The cycle repeats. There is no escape.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No Daks cap it is because of pushed money and if he’s not here next year there’s more to pay.
You’re right. But even if you didn’t push it back it was still going to be far more than inside been. We cost ourselves around 8-10 million waiting to sign Dak after Wentz and Goff. Mind you they were on 5 year deals and Dak was on a 4 year deal because he wasn’t a first rounder.

foofighters

Reaction score
After 30+ years, Jerry is FINALLY taking a step back and demanding to see more from his players before he commits to giving them BIG contracts. Gotta love it!

I'm proud to see Jerry finally taking this approach.
Meh...

While I applaud not overpaying, we are not doing anything in free agency. Nothing. I am surprised you support this because it appears that Jerry is setting Dak up to fail this year. Plus Jerry and Stephen are just as arrogant as all get out. Money is number one with them. Winning is like a distant 7th. They are basically telling the fans where to go.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I actually agree to an extent with the duo with Janes question.

Back in 2015 Bryant and Thomas were both in that same cat and mouse with their respective front offices.
Once the first one signed, then the 2nd was quickly after.

It's clear that Jefferson and Lamb are trying to reset the market. Neither agent wants to go in too quickly, especially since pads don't come on till July and there's time for the front office to blink.

This isn't Madden to the extent where it's the offseason and you can offer an extension and then simulate to the next week to see if it was accepted or not. France may be dragging it out for the sake of dragging it out. Clearly, the front office isn't chasing/being aggressive in trying to secure a deal but to me it doesn't seem like the agents want to get their client re-signed asap and the Jones duo is not answering the phone.
It’s also entirely possible that Prescott has decided that his time in Dallas has run its course. It’s bound to get worse unless he can somehow win with less support.

Things could get extremely ugly this season especially if they don’t get off to a good start. Kinda like this place lately…many people on edge.

He is going to be free to sign wherever as soon as nine months from now. I know if I were him I would be keeping my options open as far as being able to run away from what has all the key ingredients to evolve into a huge mess…

Brax

Reaction score
If Dak demands and doesn't budge from $55+ million / year, I'll be done with him.
His agent isn’t giving a discount and 55 million is the basement number. Don’t forget “ not looking to be the highest paid necessarily” and laughing while he says it. He’s not talking a Kirk Cousins type pay. In fact I think his and his agent game plan is test FA and get as much as possible it’s the agents job and it would be crazy for Dak not to want as much as possibly he can get, I or anyone else would do the same, in any company a person is just a number and is foolish to lose substantial money based on loyalty to a company that can fire you tomorrow, it’s all about the money

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. Next year the QB market wont be 55-60m to resign Dak. It'll be 65+ and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it closer to 70 if he hits free agency.
Exactly. So their thinking is not to get in front of this but to wait. It’s moronic and so out of touch and just proves why we struggle while everyone else seems to be moving past us.

Sydla

Reaction score
It’s idiotic on everyone IMO. It makes no sense to wait for guys to prove something…they cost more.
Not quite. They signed Tyrone Crawford to a big extension (at the time) because they thought his recent play would carry over and cost them more if they waited a year to sign him. That backfired on them. They did something similar with Jaylon Smith. Got burned again. So yes, there are players you should wait on. Lamb isn't one. Parsons isn't one.

The problem with the Jones is they are very reactionary. They swing from one extreme to the other. Got burned by signing big FAs? They swing to basically never signing any big FAs. Said RBs aren't worth the investment and then let Murray walk? They go 4-12 the next year and they then use the 4th pick on a RB and then sign him later to massive extension. Got burned by signing a few guys too early, so now they just wait on everyone, costing themselves money and cap space.

There is never a middle ground with this guys. There is never common sense with these guys.

Sydla

Reaction score
Every single player we give money to like they are some kind of stud turns into a waste of cap space. I do not know why that is but they are facts. Fat Zeke, J Smooth, D Flaw, Jay Rat, Crawford, Dez, etc. the list is endless. If you think that Dak and Martin and Tyron Smith were worth their contracts then you are crazy. If you think that Diggs and Parsons will be worth their contracts you are dreaming.

This franchise is fundamentally flawed and there is no recovering from that. The only time we have a glimmer of hope is when we are forced to purge some of the bloated losers. A group of young players comes in and lifts the whole thing up. They become the new "stars". The cycle repeats. There is no escape.
LOL, wait, Martin wasn't worth the extensions he has signed in his career?

So basically, we should never sign anyone to an extension. That seems to be your logic. Hahaha.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
LOL, wait, Martin wasn't worth the extensions he has signed in his career?

So basically, we should never sign anyone to an extension. That seems to be your logic. Hahaha.
Extensions need to be treated as an exception not the rule.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Exactly. So their thinking is not to get in front of this but to wait. It’s moronic and so out of touch and just proves why we struggle while everyone else seems to be moving past us.
Not only that but waiting just minimizes Jerrys "options" as he so horribly explained it. Waiting this thing out only creates competition for Dak this offseason meanwhile the trade value for guys like Lamb/Parsons only go down as they have fewer years of team control. I can get behind moving on from players at times, but you need to get value for these guy while you have the chance. They've had years to evaluate all of these guys and if they still need more time it tells me that the issue is with the evaluators, not the players.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I don’t see what’s wrong with this kind of thinking. Certain players prove themselves year in and year out. Others get paid based off of market or one decent year and then keep faltering after that, proving they just wanted the bag while tying up money. You want the former not the latter, especially at highly paid positions like LB, #1 WR, and QB. The triplets were the former. We’ve had only a few players like that since then, e.g., Ware, Witten, etc.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not quite. They signed Tyrone Crawford to a big extension (at the time) because they thought his recent play would carry over and cost them more if they waited a year to sign him. That backfired on them. They did something similar with Jaylon Smith. Got burned again. So yes, there are players you should wait on. Lamb isn't one. Parsons isn't one.

The problem with the Jones is they are very reactionary. They swing from one extreme to the other. Got burned by signing big FAs? They swing to basically never signing any big FAs. Said RBs aren't worth the investment and then let Murray walk? They go 4-12 the next year and they then use the 4th pick on a RB and then sign him later to massive extension. Got burned by signing a few guys too early, so now they just wait on everyone, costing themselves money and cap space.

There is never a middle ground with this guys. There is never common sense with these guys.
Yeah but just because it failed with Crawford doesn’t mean it was the wrong approach. Because has Crawford been a player it would’ve been a bargain. It ended up being bad. The reward outweighs the risk.

And I agree there is never a middle ground. One free agent shouldn’t stop you from using free agency. They have no idea what they are doing and are in over their head.