Jerry Jones Discusses Contracts and the Salary Cap

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t see what’s wrong with this kind of thinking. Certain players prove themselves year in and year out. Others get paid based off of market or one decent year and then keep faltering after that. You want the former, not the latter especially at highly paid positions like LB, #1 WR, and QB.
The issue is it costs you money to do this approach.

Sydla

Reaction score
Extensions need to be treated as an exception not the rule.
In what way?

Elliott should never have been extended but that was a positional thing - never sign RBs to big deals. But Lamb absolutely should be extended (unless they are secretly planning on tearing this thing down completely).

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
His agent isn’t giving a discount and 55 million is the basement number. Don’t forget “ not looking to be the highest paid necessarily” and laughing while he says it. He’s not talking a Kirk Cousins type pay. In fact I think his and his agent game plan is test FA and get as much as possible it’s the agents job and it would be crazy for Dak not to want as much as possibly he can get, I or anyone else would do the same, in any company a person is just a number and is foolish to lose substantial money based on loyalty to a company that can fire you tomorrow, it’s all about the money
Not for me.

morat1959

Reaction score
Didn’t listen. Never listen if he, his son or Dak are at the mic. I’m done until a new QB is under center or the idiots sell the team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not only that but waiting just minimizes Jerrys "options" as he so horribly explained it. Waiting this thing out only creates competition for Dak this offseason meanwhile the trade value for guys like Lamb/Parsons only go down as they have fewer years of team control. I can get behind moving on from players at times, but you need to get value for these guy while you have the chance. They've had years to evaluate all of these guys and if they still need more time it tells me that the issue is with the evaluators, not the players.
Exactly. Great points. The quicker you make a decision in this league the better.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t see what’s wrong with this kind of thinking. Certain players prove themselves year in and year out. Others get paid based off of market or one decent year and then keep faltering after that. You want the former not the latter, especially at highly paid positions like LB, #1 WR, and QB. The triplets were the former. We’ve had only a few players like that since then, e.g., Ware, Witten, etc.
Because in the end, with a guy like Lamb for example, you are just shooting yourself in the foot. He's clearly shown he's a productive, elite level WR. Why do you need him to prove it AGAIN another year? You are just going to cost yourself more money, and more importantly, cap space.

I get if some guy just catches fire in the 2nd half of the season after mostly average play, you may want to hold off on extending that guy. Lamb? That's just bad business right there waiting (again, unless there is some master plan to tear this thing down to the studs at some point).

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Because in the end, with a guy like Lamb for example, you are just shooting yourself in the foot. He's clearly shown he's a productive, elite level WR. Why do you need him to prove it AGAIN another year? You are just going to cost yourself more money, and more importantly, cap space.

I get if some guy just catches fire in the 2nd half of the season, you may want to hold off on extending that guy. Lamb? That's just bad business right there waiting (again, unless there is some master plan to tear this thing down to the studs at some point).
I’m just saying as a general approach this is the way to go. I think Micah and CeeDee have shown enough over multiple years to be extended.

Bagman

Reaction score
All three will be resigned for more than they could have been this offseason. Brilliant move…..
What makes you believe even for one second that any of those players wants to sign right now. They're all playing the waiting game. You can't put a gun to their head and make them sign. Those guys are waiting on contracts from comparable players to set the market. We know Jerry's an idiot but some of this is beyond his control. No matter what anyone thinks, it takes BOTH sides to get a contract signed.

Sydla

Reaction score
What makes you believe even for one second that any of those players wants to sign right now. They're all playing the waiting game. You can't put a gun to their head and make them sign. Those guys are waiting on contracts from comparable players to set the market. We know Jerry's an idiot but some of this is beyond his control. No matter what anyone thinks, it takes BOTH sides to get a contract signed.

Maybe but they also might want their money now and willing to eat a few million to make it happen. If Lamb signs tomorrow, he's going to get a sizeable signing bonus check. Maybe he wants that now instead of waiting another year, for example?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So the logic is….instead of getting them cheaper make them prove it so you have to pay them more? This is exactly why Dak’s cap hit is 59 million….
I hear you, but Dak has proven he's all about the money already. If he refuses to give the team a discount, make him a post June 1st cut or let him play out this last season as a Cowboy and be done with it. Dak has to do his part if he truly wants to remain a Cowboy. Jerry did him the favor and gave Dak everything he wanted 3 years ago. Let's see if Dak has the decency to return the favor this time around. If not, BYE!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hear you, but Dak has proven he's all about the money already. If he refuses to give the team a discount, make him a post June 1st cut or let him play out this last season as a Cowboy and be done with it. Dak has to do his part if he truly wants to remain a Cowboy. Jerry did him the favor and gave Dak everything he wanted 3 years ago. Let's see if Dak has the decency to return the favor this time around. If not, BYE!
Yeah man I’m sorry but this is just not realistic…there’s no bargain or “do the right thing”….when Dak was making 300k a year did the Cowboys do the right thing and get a deal done? No. They made him play on a franchise tag and he got hurt on that tag. This is business. The Cowboys have made this a business. They are not serious about football so they can’t pick and chose when they ant to be serious about it.

visionary

Reaction score
LOL.

They are only costing themselves money and cap space waiting on some of these guys. Lamb being one, for sure. He's an elite, Top 10 WR in this league. Making him "prove" it is so idiotic that is makes perfect sense the Cowboys would do this.

If you were a fan of re-signing Dak a few years ago, then that was an example of also waiting too long. Cost them money and cap space.

If not for the fact they draft at an above average level, this franchise would basically be the Browns.
These morons have no idea how to manipulate the cap and how to manage players

This is why player agents and other teams fleece them all the time and laugh at them

Watch them sign all 3 of these guys at higher prices and with less leverage and less cap flexibility

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
LOL.

They are only costing themselves money and cap space waiting on some of these guys. Lamb being one, for sure. He's an elite, Top 10 WR in this league. Making him "prove" it is so idiotic that is makes perfect sense the Cowboys would do this.

If you were a fan of re-signing Dak a few years ago, then that was an example of also waiting too long. Cost them money and cap space.

If not for the fact they draft at an above average level, this franchise would basically be the Browns.
If that is what it takes to send the message of no more top pay, even if it hurts the team and forces them to rebuild, oh well...do it because this team didn't do anything in the playoffs with these overpaid players.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah man I’m sorry but this is just not realistic…there’s no bargain or “do the right thing”….when Dak was making 300k a year did the Cowboys do the right thing and get a deal done? No. They made him play on a franchise tag and he got hurt on that tag. This is business. The Cowboys have made this a business. They are not serious about football so they can’t pick and chose when they ant to be serious about it.
That is part of the NFL way since inception (or any other business). You always start off earning peanuts until within time you prove yourself. Don't like it, go create your own business and see how it works out.