Jerry Jones Discusses Contracts and the Salary Cap

Sydla

Reaction score
Perfect example - needs to be treated as an exception not the rule. You don't hand out extensions to a guy because he's "our guy."
That I can get behind. In this thread of people saying Jerry should stop paying top dollar for stud players I lumped your post in with that. My bad.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Interpreting this, he sounds like said he paid a couple of contracts too early, meaning rewarded them for play they didn’t earn. This is stated at 1:59 and this is in the context of a question related specifically about Dak, so in a round-about way, I think he’s specifically referring to him and his extension.

That being said, the more I hear this man talk, the more I hate him.

Think you're right in Jerry referencing Dak here as he's referencing option QB and see how things play out. If anything I think Ceedee has the best chance to be signed first.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It is exactly what he thinks. He had zero football management experience before buying the franchise. He hired and received solid assistance from a great college head coach in managing coaches and players. He helped negotiate one of the biggest trades in NFL history with a franchise desperate for player name recognition.

His 'labors' paid off with two championships in quick order. After divorcing himself from his two-time defending Super Bowl head coach over hurt feelings, he claimed 500 coaches could win him Super Bowls with his team. He hired another famous college head coach, who told him both he and his predecessor were idiots for allowing personal disagreements from continuing their mutual success. The move, along with acquiring the best cornerback in the game, produced a third and final championship.

The almost unprecedented NFL success within a brief window in time virtually cemented his self-belief as the best GM in the league. Nothing has disengaged his false self-belief over the course of nearly three decades. Not poor seasons. Not seasons ending in abbreviated postseason appearances. Not underachieving head coaching hires. Not player acquisition strategies ranging from the weird (i.e. Drew Henson, Quincy Carter) to the good-to-great but not capitalized upon (i.e. Chris Canty, DeMarcus Ware). Nothing.

The self belief was reinforced after he received a Gold Jacket more for what he did for the league than as a GM. The incorrectly perceived validation was the finishing touch. Any tiny opportunity was squashed for him to unclenched his death grip on football management at that time.

Some people believe his son neuters his GM oversight, despite examples of his complete autonomy in acquiring a quarterback with virtually no internal pre-discussion. He remains the final decision maker and continues telling the world he is doing everything he can to win HIS way--which history has illustrated is a mirage of his own making.
You might be the lone Jerry admirer on this website. Jerry has done far little than he'd like one and all to believe, especially so, throughout this offseason. Many fans and even casual ones, are clamoring to see him hire an honest-to-goodness GM to take this franchise back to where it rightfully belongs. His team's abilities have been deteriorating ever since Jimmy Johnson left the scene. It was Jimmy who spearheaded those championships, much to Jerry's being overly jealous of him and his expertise.

An owner has no business acting as a GM seeing as how it's a job that involves a conflict of interest with being an owner. Your admiration is being wasted, as long as Jerry insists on faking his ownership of the GM position. Your admiration for him is also sorely being wasted on someone who clearly doesn't deserve it. Pro football is hardly intended to be a family enterprise but it is with the Cowboys.

Despite many media members, fans and hordes of folks in the public, he stubbornly insists on continuing his facade as the Cowboys' GM. Jerry's gold jacket wasn't for being a good GM -- on the contrary, it was for acting as an owner who was active in doing what good owners do for the NFL. It has nothing to do with his acting as would-be GM.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Interpreting this, he sounds like said he paid a couple of contracts too early, meaning rewarded them for play they didn’t earn. This is stated at 1:59 and this is in the context of a question related specifically about Dak, so in a round-about way, I think he’s specifically referring to him and his extension.

That being said, the more I hear this man talk, the more I hate him.

Jerry is like the 'George Costanza" of Football, he really needs to start doing the opposite of whatever dumb ideas pop into his head. He wants to wait to sign our All-Pros, but has no problem handing out contracts to the role players. This whole "Options" strategy is such nonsense, you lock up the core first, the longer this takes the less options you have.

Tired of having this part-time GM, who's too busy doing other deals away from football instead of focusing on the team. He just becomes more of an embarrassment with each passing season. :facepalm:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I am glad we have a triple option GM who thinks they can run all the way to the sideline then pitch it to someone.

Unbelievably dumb analogy. Not only is it severely out dated, but you read your options and make decisions quickly or you get killed as a QB.
Yep, he's gonna string that option out all the way to the sideline until he's stuck with no options. I'd rather have a GM that can push the ball down the field.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You might be the lone Jerry admirer on this website. Jerry has done far little than he'd like one and all to believe, especially so, throughout this offseason. Many fans and even casual ones, are clamoring to see him hire an honest-to-goodness GM to take this franchise back to where it rightfully belongs. His team's abilities have been deteriorating ever since Jimmy Johnson left the scene. It was Jimmy who spearheaded those championships, much to Jerry's being overly jealous of him and his expertise.

An owner has no business acting as a GM seeing as how it's a job that involves a conflict of interest with being an owner. Your admiration is being wasted, as long as Jerry insists on faking his ownership of the GM position. Your admiration for him is also sorely being wasted on someone who clearly doesn't deserve it. Pro football is hardly intended to be a family enterprise but it is with the Cowboys.

Despite many media members, fans and hordes of folks in the public, he stubbornly insists on continuing his facade as the Cowboys' GM. Jerry's gold jacket wasn't for being a good GM -- on the contrary, it was for acting as an owner who was active in doing what good owners do for the NFL. It has nothing to do with his acting as would-be GM.
Real world work interrupted me from giving a longer reply earlier. Nothing I stated in my initial post was said in admiration of Jerry Jones. Jones is a narcissist. Re-read my post that you replied to. My post illustrates how Jones sees his life, every single day, since February 25, 1989.

Now I ask that you re-read your reply to me. Why? Because I have said every single observation of Jones that you did in your post, and more, numerous times, on this site, for quite a long time. 'Long time' equals YEARS.

I am many things, some unflattering. Just ask my wife. :(:p One thing I absolutely am not is a Jerry Jones admirer. This has my longwinded way of asking, "What are you talking about, Willis?" :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is like the 'George Costanza" of Football, he really needs to start doing the opposite of whatever dumb ideas pop into his head. He wants to wait to sign our All-Pros, but has no problem handing out contracts to the role players. This whole "Options" strategy is such nonsense, you lock up the core first, the longer this takes the less options you have.

Tired of having this part-time GM, who's too busy doing other deals away from football instead of focusing on the team. He just becomes more of an embarrassment with each passing season. :facepalm:
I would go with Kramer. A know-it-all, who does not know anything, but whose nature continually gets himself into totally avoidable negative situations.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Real world work interrupted me from giving a longer reply earlier. Nothing I stated in my initial post was said in admiration of Jerry Jones. Jones is a narcissist. Re-read my post that you replied to. My post illustrates how Jones sees his life, every single day, since February 25, 1989.

Now I ask that you re-read your reply to me. Why? Because I have said every single observation of Jones that you did in your post, and more, numerous times, on this site, for quite a long time. 'Long time' equals YEARS.

I am many things, some unflattering. Just ask my wife. :(:p One thing I absolutely am not is a Jerry Jones admirer. This has my longwinded way of asking, "What are you talking about, Willis?" :muttley:
You're ill to admit what you were getting at with your recital of all the "great" things that you see in Jerry's GM ownership. He's far from the great performer of team traits that you've credited him with. Acting as GM has been a blight upon his team, despite the organization's wealth that he guards so selfishly when it comes to spending what it takes to actually improve his team. Congratulations for disliking him, though. A wise decision. ;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're ill to admit what you were getting at with your recital of all the "great" things that you see in Jerry's GM ownership. He's far from the great performer of team traits that you've credited him with. Acting as GM has been a blight upon his team, despite the organization's wealth that he guards so selfishly when it comes to spending what it takes to actually improve his team. Congratulations for disliking him, though. A wise decision.
Again, I do not see it. He sees it. Do you get it?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Again, I do not see it. He sees it. Do you get it?
Admittedly, I misread the acknowledgement that he wasn't exactly "hot stuff" as a GM. Thanks for acknowledging that, at least.:thumbup:
All that early praise threw me off. I've been known to get overcome with anger whenever praise for Jerry comes into focus. Mea culpa.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
After 30+ years, Jerry is FINALLY taking a step back and demanding to see more from his players before he commits to giving them BIG contracts. Gotta love it!

I'm proud to see Jerry finally taking this approach.
I disagree. With 30 years of experience..he should know what he sees sooner. What he's doing is extending time to allow a player to show him what's he wants to see ..as opposed to believing what they've already shown you. Case in point...if Jerry had made the investment in trey lance that the 49ers had...he would have never moved off him that quick...his ego would not be able take it. The 49ers realized they made a mistake..admitted by making the trade....and kept it moving. That is what competent organizations do!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Admittedly, I misread the acknowledgement that he wasn't exactly "hot stuff" as a GM. Thanks for acknowledging that, at least.:thumbup:
Good grief. I will re-word my earlier post so that you can completely comprehend it:

"It is exactly what he thinks. He had zero football management experience before buying the franchise. He hired and received solid assistance from a great college head coach in managing coaches and players. He (with most of the work done by Jimmy Johnson) helped negotiate one of the biggest trades in NFL history with a franchise desperate for player name recognition (which was Minnesota's objective and why they eagerly agreed to the lopsided blockbuster trade).

His 'labors' (the single quotation marks around the word labors were sarcasm for everything Jones thinks he accomplished as a GM without Johnson's guidance) paid off with two championships in quick order. After divorcing himself from his two-time defending Super Bowl head coach over hurt feelings (Jones could not suck it up and allow Johnson to solely get the credit practically all head coaches receive so he couldn't take it anymore and threw a hissy fit), he claimed 500 coaches could win him Super Bowls with his team. He hired another famous college head coach, who told him both he and his predecessor were idiots for allowing personal disagreements from continuing their mutual success (somehow the words in purple were mis-read). The move, along with acquiring the best cornerback in the game (Deion Sanders was a post Jimmy Johnson acquisition, occurring after Barry Switzer's team could not defeat the 49ers in NFC Championship prior to Super Bowl XXIX), produced a third and final championship (which happened primarily with Johnson's team) .

The almost unprecedented NFL success within a brief window in time virtually cemented his self-belief as the best GM in the league (the phrase in purple is sarcasm for Jones' narcissistic self-delusion). Nothing has disengaged his false self-belief (not certain how 'false self-belief' was mis-read) over the course of nearly three decades. Not poor seasons. Not seasons ending in abbreviated postseason appearances. Not underachieving head coaching hires. Not player acquisition strategies ranging from the weird (i.e. Drew Henson, Quincy Carter) to the good-to-great but not capitalized upon (i.e. Chris Canty, DeMarcus Ware). Nothing. (everything in purple was incredulously dismissed..?)

The self-belief (a.k.a. narcissistic based self-belief) was reinforced after he received a Gold Jacket more for what he did for the league than as a GM. The incorrectly perceived validation (Jones already thought he was the best GM in the league. He thought his opinion of himself was 100% accurate after the Pro Football Hall of Fame gave him a Gold Jacket--even though the Hall picked him primarily for his achievements as an owner making the league billions) was the finishing touch. Any tiny opportunity was squashed for him to unclenched his death grip on football management at that time.

Some people believe his son neuters his GM oversight, despite examples of his complete autonomy in acquiring a quarterback with virtually no internal pre-discussion. He remains the final decision maker and continues telling the world he is doing everything he can to win HIS way--which history has illustrated is a mirage of his own making." (the phrase in purple cannot be better worded. This is a link to the definition of mirage that may be of assistance)

_________

I'm done. If the above doesn't do the trick, so be it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Good grief. I will re-word my earlier post so that you can completely comprehend it:

"It is exactly what he thinks. He had zero football management experience before buying the franchise. He hired and received solid assistance from a great college head coach in managing coaches and players. He (with most of the work done by Jimmy Johnson) helped negotiate one of the biggest trades in NFL history with a franchise desperate for player name recognition (which was Minnesota's objective and why they eagerly agreed to the lopsided blockbuster trade).

His 'labors' (the single quotation marks around the word labors were sarcasm for everything Jones thinks he accomplished as a GM without Johnson's guidance) paid off with two championships in quick order. After divorcing himself from his two-time defending Super Bowl head coach over hurt feelings (Jones could not suck it up and allow Johnson to solely get the credit practically all head coaches receive so he couldn't take it anymore and threw a hissy fit), he claimed 500 coaches could win him Super Bowls with his team. He hired another famous college head coach, who told him both he and his predecessor were idiots for allowing personal disagreements from continuing their mutual success (somehow the words in purple were mis-read). The move, along with acquiring the best cornerback in the game (Deion Sanders was a post Jimmy Johnson acquisition, occurring after Barry Switzer's team could not defeat the 49ers in NFC Championship prior to Super Bowl XXIX), produced a third and final championship (which happened primarily with Johnson's team) .

The almost unprecedented NFL success within a brief window in time virtually cemented his self-belief as the best GM in the league (the phrase in purple is sarcasm for Jones' narcissistic self-delusion). Nothing has disengaged his false self-belief (not certain how 'false self-belief' was mis-read) over the course of nearly three decades. Not poor seasons. Not seasons ending in abbreviated postseason appearances. Not underachieving head coaching hires. Not player acquisition strategies ranging from the weird (i.e. Drew Henson, Quincy Carter) to the good-to-great but not capitalized upon (i.e. Chris Canty, DeMarcus Ware). Nothing. (everything in purple was incredulously dismissed..?)

The self-belief (a.k.a. narcissistic based self-belief) was reinforced after he received a Gold Jacket more for what he did for the league than as a GM. The incorrectly perceived validation (Jones already thought he was the best GM in the league. He thought his opinion of himself was 100% accurate after the Pro Football Hall of Fame gave him a Gold Jacket--even though the Hall picked him primarily for his achievements as an owner making the league billions) was the finishing touch. Any tiny opportunity was squashed for him to unclenched his death grip on football management at that time.

Some people believe his son neuters his GM oversight, despite examples of his complete autonomy in acquiring a quarterback with virtually no internal pre-discussion. He remains the final decision maker and continues telling the world he is doing everything he can to win HIS way--which history has illustrated is a mirage of his own making." (the phrase in purple cannot be better worded. This is a link to the definition of mirage that may be of assistance)

_________

I'm done. If the above doesn't do the trick, so be it.
It wasn't necessary -- I read and understood your post and acknowledged your innocence. (Mea culpa means through my fault.) Calm down.
No need to go to all that trouble. I apologized for my mistake, if you read my entire last post.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Remember when the Seattle Seahawks playoff loss was just too heart breaking and bill parcels had to walk away,@?

I think this pakers loss was that for jerry. That one hurt. Maybe the worst game in team history. He’s co fused and doesn’t even know how to operate.
you can't tell that Jerry is mad after a game because there's always always praise for the team, and how thankful we are for them and how much we truly value them! Then on the coaching front, "we have no thoughts of letting our coach go!" lol

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I disagree. With 30 years of experience..he should know what he sees sooner. What he's doing is extending time to allow a player to show him what's he wants to see ..as opposed to believing what they've already shown you. Case in point...if Jerry had made the investment in trey lance that the 49ers had...he would have never moved off him that quick...his ego would not be able take it. The 49ers realized they made a mistake..admitted by making the trade....and kept it moving. That is what competent organizations do!
Good point!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn't necessary -- I read and understood your post and acknowledged your innocence. (Mea culpa means through my fault.) Calm down.
No need to go to all that trouble. I apologized for my mistake, if you read my entire last post.
Oh. I'm calm. I am not calm whenever I type complete long-winded paragraphs in all caps. Look out whenever that happens! :laugh: I am the literal type, so it is natural for me to bold, underline, etc., my word usage for emphasis.

My turn to apologize. I read "Admittedly, I misread the acknowledgement that he wasn't exactly "hot stuff" as a GM. Thanks for acknowledging that, at least." I took 'at least' as indicating something was read and understood as an excerpted exception instead of my complete comment. I should have understood you were applying the phrase to my entire reply. My bad.