Jerry Jones Discusses Contracts and the Salary Cap

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What’s the alternative? Instead of giving Lamb 30 million a year you’d rather give 3 inferior players 10 million a year? If you have to spend 89 percent of your cap how do you propose doing that?
Jerry should call a players meeting and have their agents join them. Let them all know from now on there will be no top overall paid contracts given here in Dallas. You will get well paid but not top overall paid. Take it or leave it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I want to lose Dak .......
Thats a different issue. I have been as big a Dak critic as there has been on this board. BUT, I do like to think I am objective. The man was 2nd in MVP voting last year and he had a very good season.

I know he came up WEAK against the Niners, Bills and Packers... but the alternative to Dak is not something I am interested in seeing right now.

Give us Zach Wilson and we would be 5-12.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The worst decision is indecision. I made a post on this a while back and this supports that to the hilt!! They don't know what to do! So they aren't doing anything!
They dont know what to do? lol..... thats funny.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Thats a different issue. I have been as big a Dak critic as there has been on this board. BUT, I do like to think I am objective. The man was 2nd in MVP voting last year and he had a very good season.

I know he came up WEAK against the Niners, Bills and Packers... but the alternative to Dak is not something I am interested in seeing right now.

Give us Zach Wilson and we would be 5-12.
Objectivity in a Dak discussion is foreign to some.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The contract that most affects the salary cap.
Teams' salary caps are multi-year considerations for contracts containing multi-year terms. In my opinion, most NFL contracts (not all but most) are backloaded. A multi-year contract may be deemed 'favorable' at the beginning but not towards the end.

Logically, any multi-year contract that is backloaded, like quarterback contracts typically are, affect their team's salary cap the most towards the end. That is Jerry Jones' situation as GM now.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I am ........ I dont care how many regular season games we win if the guy is gonna become catatonic in the playoffs ....... it wont get better until we change the thing on the field that is holding us back and thats Dak in the playoffs ..... the longer we wait to start looking for the answer is the longer we will wait to win anything.

I have said many times that Dak could win under the right circumstances ......... But Jerry and his son are never gonna give Dak what he needs to win.

Time to try something else.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Teams' salary caps are multi-year considerations for contracts containing multi-year terms. In my opinion, most NFL contracts (not all but most) are backloaded. A multi-year contract may be deemed 'favorable' at the beginning but not towards the end.

Logically, any multi-year contract that is backloaded, like quarterback contracts typically are, affect their team's salary cap the most towards the end. That is Jerry Jones' situation as GM now.
Very true, DE. Well explained. Thank you.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jerry should call a players meeting and have their agents join them. Let them all know from now on there will be no top overall paid contracts given here in Dallas. You will get well paid but not top overall paid. Take it or leave it.
Most will leave it.

They can get paid somewhere else and likely have more success if they pick the right team to sign with.

And the Cowboys will continue to just wallow in purgatory.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
This explanation makes no sense

Sign them earlier, or try to trade them while they still hold more value than a comp pick.

Otherwise, you're going to pay more than necessary or lose them for peanuts.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Most will leave it.

They can get paid somewhere else and likely have more success if they pick the right team to sign with.

And the Cowboys will continue to just wallow in purgatory.
Trade them. They won't have a say. Get picks back in return.

Sydla

Reaction score
Trade them. They won't have a say. Get picks back in return.
What's that get you? A consistently, young, too inexperienced team.

That's purgatory too. This desire to basically never sign anyone who won't take a team discount is weird.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What's that get you? A consistently, young, too inexperienced team.

That's purgatory too. This desire to basically never sign anyone who won't take a team discount is weird.
Isn't that what you want with Lance at QB?????????????????????????????????

Sydla

Reaction score
Isn't that what you want with Lance at QB?????????????????????????????????
Not sure where you are going with this..........

I am simply ready for a change at QB. If I had my druthers, I would have fired McCarthy, hired a young stud OC type, tried to work a trade for Dak, let the new OC work with Lance and see if there is anything salvageable there, and then use this draft or the next one to find a QB.

Not because Dak won't take a discount. Because I think it's just time for the franchise to look for another avenue here both from a coaching and QB perspective.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Imagine your boss comes in and telling you that you will never make as much money there as you will elsewhere.

I read some stupid things around here and I always love people that are obviously not in the owner class acting like JP Morgan but that one is special.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not sure where you are going with this..........

I am simply ready for a change at QB. If I had my druthers, I would have fired McCarthy, hired a young stud OC type, tried to work a trade for Dak, let the new OC work with Lance and see if there is anything salvageable there, and then use this draft or the next one to find a QB.

Not because Dak won't take a discount. Because I think it's just time for the franchise to look for another avenue here both from a coaching and QB perspective.
So, according to Jerry and Stephen's career records of failing badly to find a stud franchise QB, you would rather have sucky seasons for the next 5+ years?

plymkr

Reaction score

Interpreting this, he sounds like said he paid a couple of contracts too early, meaning rewarded them for play they didn’t earn. This is stated at 1:59 and this is in the context of a question related specifically about Dak, so in a round-about way, I think he’s specifically referring to him and his extension.

That being said, the more I hear this man talk, the more I hate him.

3 observations.
1. Slater is doing her job and asking pointed questions, that’s refreshing.
2. Jerry and especially Stephen are very condescending. They act like they’re God’s gift to football when in fact they’re business men trying to be football men.
3. I wish Jerry would give an answer to the questions. He’s a master at word salad manipulation.

It’s painful to watch.

Adreme

Reaction score
And they will all leave it and you will have to win with no top players which is not something any team can do. You either pay the same way as everyone else or you settle for inferior players and lose with them.

Sydla

Reaction score
So, according to Jerry and Stephen's career records of failing badly to find a stud franchise QB, you would rather have sucky seasons for the next 5+ years?
I’d rather take a chance on a new coach and QB. What we have isn’t working. How many more years before you come to that realization?