Jerry Jones Discusses Contracts and the Salary Cap

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Simply put, Jerry does nothing wrong! He slaves and works harder than anyone knows. How could anyone think not?? This is what he thinks??

Chasing6

Reaction score

Interpreting this, he sounds like said he paid a couple of contracts too early, meaning rewarded them for play they didn’t earn. This is stated at 1:59 and this is in the context of a question related specifically about Dak, so in a round-about way, I think he’s specifically referring to him and his extension.

That being said, the more I hear this man talk, the more I hate him.

I am glad we have a triple option GM who thinks they can run all the way to the sideline then pitch it to someone.

Unbelievably dumb analogy. Not only is it severely out dated, but you read your options and make decisions quickly or you get killed as a QB.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What with all the effort and tedious work that Jerry does, I wonder why the results don't give much evidence of it. It's one of life's mysteries! :huh:

Chasing6

Reaction score
In what way?

Elliott should never have been extended but that was a positional thing - never sign RBs to big deals. But Lamb absolutely should be extended (unless they are secretly planning on tearing this thing down completely).
These negotiations need to take place before the draft, when you have the cards to trade them. After the draft, you no longer have any cards?

If I am CD $18M is a lot of money, but do I risk $18M to lose $100M with a potential injury? I don't think so. In addition, without CD our WR group is horrendous, and we already don't have a running game.

You think his agent is not going to take advantage of that?

If I am selling the team? Why would I want to resign Dak, CD and Micah and payout all of their signing bonuses this year, to sell them next year?

Let the new owner pay for the signing bonuses.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry & Stephen aren't really cheap . . . they're just extremely frugal -- we all know that. :muttley:

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am glad we have a triple option GM who thinks they can run all the way to the sideline then pitch it to someone.

Unbelievably dumb analogy. Not only is it severely out dated, but you read your options and make decisions quickly or you get killed as a QB.
He's spent the last 8 years watching Dak run to the sideline and step out for a loss instead of throwing it out of bounds. Dumb QB play is all he's got to go by for analogies.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dak's situation is more about giving a discount. The playoffs INTs have already been explained who's truly to blame. It's up to Jerry and this coaching staff to listen and fix it.
Yes Dak will tell Jerry he is free to shave off about 500k on the home towner discount.
You know as well as I do that home town discounts do not exist in this fantasy world of Big D.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Simply put, Jerry does nothing wrong! He slaves and works harder than anyone knows. How could anyone think not?? This is what he thinks??
It is exactly what he thinks. He had zero football management experience before buying the franchise. He hired and received solid assistance from a great college head coach in managing coaches and players. He helped negotiate one of the biggest trades in NFL history with a franchise desperate for player name recognition.

His 'labors' paid off with two championships in quick order. After divorcing himself from his two-time defending Super Bowl head coach over hurt feelings, he claimed 500 coaches could win him Super Bowls with his team. He hired another famous college head coach, who told him both he and his predecessor were idiots for allowing personal disagreements from continuing their mutual success. The move, along with acquiring the best cornerback in the game, produced a third and final championship.

The almost unprecedented NFL success within a brief window in time virtually cemented his self-belief as the best GM in the league. Nothing has disengaged his false self-belief over the course of nearly three decades. Not poor seasons. Not seasons ending in abbreviated postseason appearances. Not underachieving head coaching hires. Not player acquisition strategies ranging from the weird (i.e. Drew Henson, Quincy Carter) to the good-to-great but not capitalized upon (i.e. Chris Canty, DeMarcus Ware). Nothing.

The self belief was reinforced after he received a Gold Jacket more for what he did for the league than as a GM. The incorrectly perceived validation was the finishing touch. Any tiny opportunity was squashed for him to unclenched his death grip on football management at that time.

Some people believe his son neuters his GM oversight, despite examples of his complete autonomy in acquiring a quarterback with virtually no internal pre-discussion. He remains the final decision maker and continues telling the world he is doing everything he can to win HIS way--which history has illustrated is a mirage of his own making.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He's spent the last 8 years watching Dak run to the sideline and step out for a loss instead of throwing it out of bounds. Dumb QB play is all he's got to go by for analogies.
It must be difficult for you to watch and comprehend football.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It must be difficult for you to watch and comprehend football.
I understand that throwing the ball away before stepping out of bounds brings the ball back to the original LOS while stepping out with it 3 yards behind the line is a loss. Some things are really, painfully, simple. Shocked you need it explained though.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah a message he either doesn’t want to win or has no idea how.
LOL.

Yep, the way to win in this league is tell every player to pound sand and that the Cowboys are only going to low ball players.

Sounds like a great strategy.