Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys will still be raking in record profits with/without Dak and with/without winning seasons. The only reason to extend Dak is if the team sees a match with the contract and potential gain (either on the field or off it). If the team does not see it as a match then both sides go their separate ways (which is also like saying neither side could force the other to bend to their will-which using your logic means neither side wielded significant “leverage” in the first place).
Correct if the Cowboys see no value in Dak over option B then Dak doesnt really have leverage either...

Chasing6

Reaction score
Remember though Jerry if anyone has a way with these players as their father, he can make them take that they want
Those days are long gone. Those days you are thinking of were prior to the salary cap.

Plus any fathership roles today are coming from their Agents.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What if they are making a "save face" offer just to be able to say they did? An offer they know Dak's camp likely won't accept... Meaning they don't care ultimately if Dak walks but if he accepts it at X price then it's a good deal for the team? Wouldn't they be balancing out Dak's so called leverage? i.e., We're cool if you stay at $50 million but $55 million, no thanks...
What if Jerry sells the team next week?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That might be all that matters with you but most would argue reaching championship games and Super Bowls is much more successful
of course it is, because it helps with YOUR point, which is to say how bad the GM is. But if it was the other way around, Im sure youd be saying who cares about those appearances... its all about titles.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
And yet they still were 12-5 the past three seasons. Guess they are doing it correctly?
nope... its the Jets, the Bears, The Bucs, Dolphins, Chargers, Raiders.... all those powerhouses with "Real," football people that are getting it done.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
nope... its the Jets, the Bears, The Bucs, Dolphins, Chargers, Raiders.... all those powerhouses with "Real," football people that are getting it done.
I mean can you actually take the last 28 years and SHOW where this FO has achieved better results than ANY of those FO's?
Just to start the Jets have 7 playoff wins and 3 AFCCG in that span...are we going to show them our 12 win season streak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
of course it is, because it helps with YOUR point, which is to say how bad the GM is. But if it was the other way around, Im sure youd be saying who cares about those appearances... its all about titles.
No, not at all. No one is safe from my critical analysis.

You’re a smart guy . Surely you can’t believe the Cowboys have had as much success as 49ers in recent years .

Jethro isn’t the worst GM this era. He’s managed to actually fare above average. There’s just many more which have had more success , including some who didn’t win a championship.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
I read thru your work.

Honestly i waited and waited for your arguments that jj has more leverage. But all i found was this:

Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually)
Well, ok, you have my attention. Now please tell me.

But nothing actually follows...

Thats a bit thin in my opinion when you make such a bold statement in the thread title. Whats your opinion to that?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
i have never thought that jerry was going to extend dak he will let him walk and he may lamb not sure though but he will extend micah

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry only has control over what he can offer Dak. Jerry has zero control if Dak decides he wants to hit free agency.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I mean can you actually take the last 28 years and SHOW where this FO has achieved better results than ANY of those FO's?
Just to start the Jets have 7 playoff wins and 3 AFCCG in that span...are we going to show them our 12 win season streak?
I have relatives from Jersey that are Jets fns... I can promise you my last 28 years have been better than theirs.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The ability to "walk" is the leverage Dak has...............unlike Dak, Lamb is stuck here, he either plays for the Cowboys or he plays for nobody.
to be honest I dont see that as leverage, it is just a option.
If I was dak I would go FA in march, dont sign now, and dont take cowboys offer in march, unless they are only ones with a 55+ offer.

Dak wants the money, so just take the highest offer, and get that no trade clause again lol.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
And yet they still were 12-5 the past three seasons. Guess they are doing it correctly?
The last 30 years of post-season failure say otherwise. There is no award or ring for the most 12-5 seasons consecutively

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I have always thought the person cutting the checks had more leverage than the one endorsing it. I don't remember Jerry having a reaction like he did after the GB game, saying he was floored. I think he and Jimmy maybe talking behind the scenes, and Jimmy mentioned a couple harsh realities about certain players and country club culture.
Jerry and Stephen have the two biggest egos in the league

CWR

Reaction score

At what point did the Cowboys PR machine shut down? While I believe you make a point worth considering, I don't believe it is likely.

They have made it a habit to negotiate and attempt to win in the court of public opinion, through the media.

The good thing about letting other players sign first is setting the market and a precedence for our deals. That knife cuts both ways. It's good for the players money, but it can also provide terms to an extent. Three years is practically unheard of with these big deals. I can't imagine the agents asking for these type of parameters and the FO not leaking that information to win favor amongst the fan base.

I do agree Jerry has a ton of leverage with CD and Parsons. We have CD for another year and can still franchise. That's a long time to have control.

plymkr

Reaction score
it's semantics, but leverage implies having an advantageous position to coerce someone to act in your self interest instead of theirs. jerry has none on dak. dak is in probably the most advantageous positions we've seen a qb in in history.

w/ ceedee, jerry has leverage though due to having him under contract.
Nice definition. I’ve said this earlier in the offseason and in other threads but in any relationship the one who has the power is the one that can walk away first.

The person who has the real “leverage” in this situation is the one that can walk away from the other one. If Jerry does not believe in Dak anymore then he has the leverage. If Jerry can envision the future without Dak then Jerry has leverage or power because Jerry can not be coerced into paying Dak big money.

I don’t know what’s going on but I don’t think it’s about money. Jerry has money and so does Dak. So the question in my mind if what’s the problem? Length of contract? Language of contract? Contract clauses? Belief in the player? Future of the team?

If it was just money then it would be done IMO.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I have relatives from Jersey that are Jets fns... I can promise you my last 28 years have been better than theirs.
Not from a playoff stand point. The Jets have blown Dallas away in the 21st Century as far as playoff success goes.

Also, your friends are more upset because winning championships actually matters to them. You are happy with 12-5 seasons that end in one and done in the playoffs. They want it more than you do. You are weak and they are strong in their fandom.