Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

JBS

Reaction score
You don’t know Jerry jones if you think he wants to do a salary cap reset

He’s absolutely petrified of being irrelevant

Chasing6

Reaction score
If we are talking about holding out to get the best deal type of leverage then both players 100,000% have it over Jerry. They're signing severely, which will weaken this team, whether they like them or not. However, and I have mentioned this many times: as the owner of this franchise Jerry has full authority over which players play on the Football field and he has options: Dak as it stands can sit on the sidelines and Jerry can let it roll with Rush and Trey for the year.....if Trey shines he is QB1 next year and if he flops the team will flop badly and Deion gets a calll. As for Lamb? Well, Jerry can simply say you are under contract come play, or sit I don't care. At some point Lamb will come back, be it with a new contract, or on his old. There is zero chance he is leaving money on the table continuing to hold out. If 88 comes back sour, this team who already has angst will have even more and the season will end before it begins. Could be Jerry's plan

This Ladies and Gentlemen is how our wonderful owner seems to be taking these negotiations.....and how he still waves the leverage wand, like it or not
Keep living in fantasy land.

If Jerry had leverage they both would be signed.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If we are talking about holding out to get the best deal type of leverage then both players 100,000% have it over Jerry. They're signing severely, which will weaken this team, whether they like them or not. However, and I have mentioned this many times: as the owner of this franchise Jerry has full authority over which players play on the Football field and he has options: Dak as it stands can sit on the sidelines and Jerry can let it roll with Rush and Trey for the year.....if Trey shines he is QB1 next year and if he flops the team will flop badly and Deion gets a calll. As for Lamb? Well, Jerry can simply say you are under contract come play, or sit I don't care. At some point Lamb will come back, be it with a new contract, or on his old. There is zero chance he is leaving money on the table continuing to hold out. If 88 comes back sour, this team who already has angst will have even more and the season will end before it begins. Could be Jerry's plan

This Ladies and Gentlemen is how our wonderful owner seems to be taking these negotiations.....and how he still waves the leverage wand, like it or not
Jerry has no plan.

If he wanted to get the most value from CD he would have been traded before the draft.

If Jerry's plan was to let Dak walk he would have had a replacement plan in place. No Trance is not a replacement option.

Praxit

Reaction score
Agreed, but the players definitely are being greedy. Too obvious and so many hints.
... I wouldnt be surprised this mental element is also playing part. Agents act like bull dogs, try to squeeze every drop from owners.

They funnel this to the players. Media gets involved, and then it becomes who becomes richer than the other dude. Jerry has been forking out cash left n right for years now.

Still nothing to show. (post season blues) He's probably at the point, why pay Ego Kids for something other players can do for half the cut?

Maybe that's his leverage. Show me you can win, when it counts. Then I'll give you hot butter knife for your toast.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think that Jerry's greatest amount of leverage is CeeDee under contract for 2024. Is he really willing to sit out an entire season?

As far as any reset, is Jerry that confident in his personal health that he would be willing to sacrifice a season?

It may come down to making a hard choice. This contract dispute not only keeps CeeDee on the sidelines, it creates a distraction for the whole team. They need to make a decision with the utmost conviction and speed.

Sign him or trade him......now.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has all the leverage, with a no trade clause and no option to tag him.

CD is a different story. CD will cave in at some point and play this year with or without a new contract.

Why list or even mention what Dak or CD want if Jerry has all the leverage. If Jerry has all the leverage why are they both not signed?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Blowing up you team that has been 12-5 for the last 3 years to become 5-12 is not leverage.
I didn't say Dak didn't have leverage.

I simply said that Jerry has more leverage than people realize and that's true.

The fact that Jerry hasn't given in to Dak and Lamb yet (that could change at any moment of course) shows at least Jerry thinks he has a lot of leverage.

Of course, that may change if Lamb holds out and the Cowboys start 0-2 like they did when Emmitt held out.

In any case, blowing up a team that's 12-5 and exits playoffs early every year at the cost of one down year is a not about leverage but simply a trade-off that, at least in Jerry's mind, would be an investment in 2025 by resetting the salary cap considerably and avoiding any big contracts that limits the salary cap for 2025.

Jerry knows that if he gives Dak, Lamb and Parsons huge cap-hitting contracts, and then combines that with no-trade, no-franchise-tag clauses, etc. that he is simply setting this team up for a forced reset or even rebuild in 2-3 years that may require multiple seasons to recover.

Personally, I don't really care which way it goes nor do I care to change anyone's mind, so your persistent need to argue with me (not sure why you always single out my posts as I don't post very often) is wasted on someone like me.

My point with this thread was to share a different perspective because people are making a lot of assumptions, including the media, without having all of the information when there could be a lot of other factors in play that we have no idea about.

Regardless of how it all works out, it will be interesting to see what happens between now and week 2-3 of the season.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Jerry has no plan.

If he wanted to get the most value from CD he would have been traded before the draft.

If Jerry's plan was to let Dak walk he would have had a replacement plan in place. No Trance is not a replacement option.
Jerry very badly wants the Sanders duo, that is his master plan and the only question is if he is daring and smart enough to be able to pull it off. I'm sure we know the answer is NO to both those questions but the desire is there and what a story it would be, right?

Praxit

Reaction score
I didn't say Dak didn't have leverage.

I simply said that Jerry has more leverage than people realize and that's true.

The fact that Jerry hasn't given in to Dak and Lamb yet (that could change at any moment of course) shows at least Jerry thinks he has a lot of leverage.

Of course, that may change if Lamb holds out and the Cowboys start 0-2 like they did when Emmitt held out.

In any case, blowing up a team that's 12-5 and exits playoffs early every year at the cost of one down year is a not about leverage but simply a trade-off that, at least in Jerry's mind, would be an investment in 2025 by resetting the salary cap considerably and avoiding any big contracts that limits the salary cap for 2025.

Jerry knows that if he gives Dak, Lamb and Parsons huge cap-hitting contracts, and then combines that with no-trade, no-franchise-tag clauses, etc. that he is simply setting this team up for a forced reset or even rebuild in 2-3 years that may require multiple seasons to recover.

Personally, I don't really care which way it goes nor do I care to change anyone's mind, so your persistent need to argue with me (not sure why you always single out my posts as I don't post very often) is wasted on someone like me.

My point with this thread was to share a different perspective because people are making a lot of assumptions, including the media, without having all of the information when there could be a lot of other factors in play that we have no idea about.

Regardless of how it all works out, it will be interesting to see what happens between now and week 2-3 of the season.
...Reality, no need to defend yourself. You made valid points all the way.

Your just lending a different perspective. I completely get what you stated. ;)..

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry very badly wants the Sanders duo, that is his master plan and the only question is if he is daring and smart enough to be able to pull it off. I'm sure we know the answer is NO to both those questions but the desire is there and what a story it would be, right?
You are clueless.

stiletto

Reaction score
But I thought he has the leverage to make them sign what he wants to pay?
Not leverage to MAKE them sign but leverage not to pay them if he doesn't want. He's the owner with all the money and if he doesn't like his options, he doesn't have to pay. It's his money at the end of it.

I guess, to me it's kind of like a shiny car that I leased for 3 years that wasn't really as good as I thought it was going to be. Time to go lease/buy something else because the dealer wants me to pay too much to go ahead and keep this one (juice not worth the squeeze)..at least in Dak's case. But really, who knows what Jerry is thinking. hah!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
... I wouldnt be surprised this mental element is also playing part. Agents act like bull dogs, try to squeeze every drop from owners.

They funnel this to the players. Media gets involved, and then it becomes who becomes richer than the other dude. Jerry has been forking out cash left n right for years now.

Still nothing to show. (post season blues) He's probably at the point, why pay Ego Kids for something other players can do for half the cut?

Maybe that's his leverage. Show me you can win, when it counts. Then I'll give you hot butter knife for your toast.
I'm good with Jerry sticking to his guns and forcing these primadonnas to prove during the playoffs they are worth getting paid record-setting "Market Value" contracts.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not leverage to MAKE them sign but leverage not to pay them if he doesn't want. He's the owner with all the money and if he doesn't like his options, he doesn't have to pay. It's his money at the end of it.

I guess, to me it's kind of like a shiny car that I leased for 3 years that wasn't really as good as I thought it was going to be. Time to go lease/buy something else because the dealer wants me to pay too much to go ahead and keep this one (juice not worth the squeeze)..at least in Dak's case. But really, who knows what Jerry is thinking. hah!
I guess you forget Jerry has a $50M lease penalty next year for Dak. Jerry will be riding the bus, I mean playing Trance next year.