Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm good with Jerry sticking to his guns and forcing these primadonnas to prove during the playoffs they are worth getting paid record-setting "Market Value" contracts.
Funny that this is what you think is happening.

I don't recall Jerry saying we will not be negotiating extension until the season is over and we win playoff games.

stiletto

Reaction score
I guess you forget Jerry has a $50M lease penalty next year for Dak. Jerry will be riding the bus, I mean playing Trance next year.
$40 million dead cap hit on Dak. The pattern for salary cap increase is about 15%, so in theory the cap will go up really close to that. That can make that a wash if they don't get into anymore bad contracts. Hopefully they don't and they stop rewarding players for rolling through bottom feeding teams.

OR pay guys they like early and stop waiting. One of the two.

Chasing6

Reaction score
$40 million dead cap hit on Dak. The pattern for salary cap increase is about 15%, so in theory the cap will go up really close to that. That can make that a wash if they don't get into anymore bad contracts. Hopefully they don't and they stop rewarding players for rolling through bottom feeding teams.

OR pay guys they like early and stop waiting. One of the two.
No it does not make it a wash. Other teams will have the money to spend.

stiletto

Reaction score
No it does not make it a wash. Other teams will have the money to spend.
It can if you are managing other things properly. It all depends on their plan, which none of us know. Believe it or not, it's not Jerry or Stephen who crunch the cap. They have guys like Adam who used to post here (guru's) doing that stuff. It's really all about their philosophy and it is possible they are going in another direction than the last few years. We'll find out.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It can if you are managing other things properly. It all depends on their plan, which none of us know. Believe it or not, it's not Jerry or Stephen who crunch the cap. They have guys like Adam who used to post here (guru's) doing that stuff. It's really all about their philosophy and it is possible they are going in another direction than the last few years. We'll find out.
If I have $40M more to spend than you, you can not make it up. Only in your imagination.

stiletto

Reaction score
If I have $40M more to spend than you, you can not make it up. Only in your imagination.
You can make it up by drafting better than other teams and having really good players on rookie deals instead of paying FA's ridiculous money.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
I see you didn't get the memo. The cowboys zone has become the "I hate Jerry Jones zone" this thread is heresy.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
We don’t have all the information and that’s true but it is very odd that other teams in the league don’t have these issues seemingly every year.
Other teams just "bend the knee" to the player the cowboys don't. And the players and agents aren't used to that.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
I have always thought the person cutting the checks had more leverage than the one endorsing it. I don't remember Jerry having a reaction like he did after the GB game, saying he was floored. I think he and Jimmy maybe talking behind the scenes, and Jimmy mentioned a couple harsh realities about certain players and country club culture.
I think the Green Bay game changed a lot of things. I just don't think most fans understand that.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I’m skeptical that another team will give Dak anywhere near what he’s asking for from Jerry. Meaning $60M+/ No Trade / No Tag / Shorter deal. I know there are teams in QB purgatory that would happily take Dak to stabilize the ship but I bet they aren’t desperate enough to cave in to all of those demands. So from that standpoint I do think Jerry has leverage. Especially since this season could be a disaster which would hurt Dak’s value (not to mention the injury risk). I mean at some point if you are Dak & Jerry sticks to his guns why not take 90% of what you want to avoid taking such a huge risk?

RS12

Reaction score
I'd call Dak's bluff if I were Jerry. There's no team out there willing to make the worst playoff QB in NFL history, and who is in the twilight of his career, the highest paid player ever. I don't believe that for a second.
Nah I strongly believe in the "greater fool theory,". I just dont want it to be Jerry.

stiletto

Reaction score
Nah I strongly believe in the "greater fool theory,". I just dont want it to be Jerry.
We're stuck with him for the foreseeable future. We can only hope that he has turned his philosophy around of paying out insane contracts to players who haven't proved they can do anything but dog walk the NFC Least. I mean it could be a good thing but no one wants to ponder it.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Nah. The bot that averages 25 posts a day says I am clueless. Yet strangely none of these "stars" have new deals.
I completely agree. I keep being told that Jerry only cares about the regular season and doesn't care about the playoffs and that the fans don't care about the regular season and only care about the playoffs. I'm starting to think this is the other way around. If you listen to the "tone" of the fan base they sound like they're much more concerned about the regular season. They seem to spend a lot more time talking about the 12 win regular seasons then they do the two and five playoff record. It makes you wonder where their priorities are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed, but the players definitely are being greedy. Too obvious and so many hints.

It’s an inconvenience if you’re trying to keep your team together. And frustrating for fans as our only concern is winning.

But when your career is limited to a few years and could end at any time surely everyone can understand wanting to earn all you can while you can . The NFL is a business and job .

Human nature existence is based on greed which is wanting more than we need. Using “ Greed” as an argument against these players is an attempt to discredit them personally because the argument is too weak much like we see in this forum against other fans .

_sturt_

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
Think this is spot on.

Think Jerry and Stephen are thinking about this year almost exactly like they thought of Jason Garrett's prove-it year... and very much prepared psychologically to overhaul everything for 2026, if they cannot gain some contract flexibility that allows them some room to work around the 2025 clinch point.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s an inconvenience if you’re trying to keep your team together. And frustrating for fans as our only concern is winning.

But when your career is limited to a few years and could end at any time surely everyone can understand wanting to earn all you can while you can . The NFL is a business and job .

Human nature existence is based on greed which is wanting more than we need. Using “ Greed” as an argument against these players is an attempt to discredit them personally because the argument is too weak much like we see in this forum against other fans .
Disagree.

Don't tell me $50 MILLION PER YEAR is not good enough for any QB.

Think about that. $50 million dollars in 1 year. You truly believe that's not good enough for Amy football player, their health and career? We're just talking about just for 1 year. Now add 4+ years more.

Yeah, these players are definitely being greedy. SUPER GREEDY and we all know it.