Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In basic theory Jethro ultimately has the leverage. He doesn’t have to pay them. And if that’s your goal is to show you don’t have to pay them then fine . But someone will.

Ok . We don’t pay them. What’s the plan now . We’re willing to start over without key pieces cause we aren’t sure if we can build around them within the Cap.

Well, if you don’t have them then you don’t have anything to build around. Everyone would rather start over . Good luck with that.

You really believe Jethro wants to or is ready to start over . I understand many fans are but I seriously doubt our owner is. And why his bluff is laughable unless he’s prepared to fold on this team and reshuffle . I’ll be shocked .

These guys are going to get paid whether we do or not . That’s what Id ultimately call the leverage . It’s a win win situation for them.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You can make it up by drafting better than other teams and having really good players on rookie deals instead of paying FA's ridiculous money.
Just look at last years draft.

Can you make it up signing UFL free agents as well?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Disagree.

Don't tell me $50 MILLION PER YEAR is not good enough for any QB.

Think about that. $50 million dollars in 1 year. You truly believe that's not good enough for Amy football player, their health and career? We're just talking about just for 1 year. Now add 4+ years more.

Yeah, these players are definitely being greedy. SUPER GREEDY and we all know it.
It’s not enough if the Market Value is greater.

Is 200 billion enough for Bezos and Amazon.

This argument is ridiculous.

Our entire existence is based on supply and demand . Greed is the driving force .

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s not enough if the Market Value is greater.

Is 200 billion enough for Bezos and Amazon.

This argument is ridiculous.

Our entire existence is based on supply and demand . Greed is the driving force .
You're being absolutely ridiculous.

Go start your own business. Now start paying your employees more than you pay yourself. Good luck keeping that business open for long.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're being absolutely ridiculous.

Go start your own business. Now start paying your employees more than you pay yourself. Good luck keeping that business open for long.
No players are making more than their owners.

Some fans just can’t accept the nature of the business. I get it. Frustration cause it hinders our team.

The owners could fix it by doing away with Salary Cap. Or stop televising all the games , reduce prices at the stadium , etc which would reduce the revenue dramatically.

Perhaps we could return to how it was when I was growing up where players needed regular jobs in offseason . Make the NFL poor again. Lol

Until then this is the nature of the business the fans have helped create with billions a year in revenue .

We must remember this is more than just a football league , it’s a sports entertainment entity .The top stars are the leading actors. And they can fetch top dollar as long as the demand is there for their talent .

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No players are making more than their owners.

Some fans just can’t accept the nature of the business. I get it. Frustration cause it hinders our team.

The owners could fix it by doing away with Salary Cap. Or stop televising all the games , reduce prices at the stadium , etc which would reduce the revenue dramatically.

Perhaps we could return to how it was when I was growing up where players needed regular jobs in offseason . Make the NFL poor again. Lol

Until then this is the nature of the business the fans have helped create with billions a year in revenue .

We must remember this is more than just a football league , it’s a sports entertainment entity .The top stars are the leading actors. And they can fetch top dollar as long as the demand is there for their talent .
If I were Jerry, I would start making it crystal clear you will be expected to "work" with the team when it comes to contract extensions. If you refuse, you will be replaced quickly. So many other players willing to take your spot and pay. Good luck. Go be greedy elsewhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If I were Jerry, I would start making it crystal clear you will be expected to "work" with the team when it comes to contract extensions. If you refuse, you will be replaced quickly. So many other players willing to take your spot and pay. Good luck. Go be greedy elsewhere.
Yes, players with less talent and ability will always be ready to take their place. Some might even develop into suitable replacements.

Back in the day before Salary Cap teams often had backup players who could start for other teams. There was no Cap and limited FA.

You could build dynasties and keep them together for mostly their entire careers.

The Salary Cap ended all of that. And the huge revenue increases which followed that our owner was instrumental in set a course for the NFL that few could imagine.

The point is the money is there. And the owners are willing to pay for their top stars. Remember this limited to very few. About 80% of the players are only averaging about 1 million a year .

But the league and owners need their leading actors . Not only to enhance winning but to promote the brand. And why they’re willing to pay for it. That’s not Greed in the way you’re attempting to present. It’s just business.

It’s just upsetting cause these big contracts are limiting these teams abilities to build and retain better teams. But this is the choice the owners and league have made.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
There's not anything lurking behind the scenes. It's exactly what it looks like.

They simply are not good at this.
Exactly.............Occam's Razor

The simplest solution with the lowest number of unknowns is typically the most accurate.

What looks like incompetence to all of us.............is very unlikely to be a grand scheme being orchestrated from the shadows...........it actually is just incompetence.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, players with less talent and ability will always be ready to take their place. Some might even develop into suitable replacements.

Back in the day before Salary Cap teams often had backup players who could start for other teams. There was no Cap and limited FA.

You could build dynasties and keep them together for mostly their entire careers.

The Salary Cap ended all of that. And the huge revenue increases which followed that our owner was instrumental in set a course for the NFL that few could imagine.

The point is the money is there. And the owners are willing to pay for their top stars. Remember this limited to very few. About 80% of the players are only averaging about 1 million a year .

But the league and owners need their leading actors . Not only to enhance winning but to promote the brand. And why they’re willing to pay for it. That’s not Greed in the way you’re attempting to present. It’s just business.

It’s just upsetting cause these big contracts are limiting these teams abilities to build and retain better teams. But this is the choice the owners and league have made.
Top players and their agents have turned it into greed. Let's not kid anyone anymore.

Loso86

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
Facts but doesn't change that Dallas does this enough for media and fans to have some idea of the games that's going on behind those doors in Frisco. They think they are so much smarter and end up paying more or getting fleeced.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Top players and their agents have turned it into greed. Let's not kid anyone anymore.
So who’s the bigger problem. The person seeking the payoff or the one paying it.

Why do you think these owners are willing to pay 50 million for a QB?

They could just draft a new one every 4 or 5 years.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
When is Jerry going to use his “leverage” to replace Dak and CeeDee with a better quarterback and wide receiver respectfully?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So who’s the bigger problem. The person seeking the payoff or the one paying it.

Why do you think these owners are willing to pay 50 million for a QB?

They could just draft a new one every 4 or 5 years.
Jerry should draft their replacements every 4 - 5 years or less. Then tell them, "Bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Someone else will soon be wearing your jersey, breaking records and getting sponsorship endorsements simply for wearing a star on their helmet."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry should draft their replacements every 4 - 5 years or less. Then tell them, "Bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Someone else will soon be wearing your jersey, breaking records and getting sponsorship endorsements simply for wearing a star on their helmet."
I wonder why more teams don’t take this action once they have a good QB to build around?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The ability to "walk" is the leverage Dak has...............unlike Dak, Lamb is stuck here, he either plays for the Cowboys or he plays for nobody.
And why I think he’ll show up eventually . If not his last year of Rookie deal will extend a season if he doesn’t play.

And then we can Franchise Tag him. But if he sits all year then I’d expect we trade him.

I still can’t imagine not resigning him. We’ll see.