Jerry Jones: No urgency to get contract done with Lamb

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I've heard from Jerry fanboys that it’s not his fault. Just bad luck or bad players for 30 years.... even though he picks the players.. NOT HIS FAULT!
Does anyone really say that?

I feel like he’s (McClay mostly of guess) picked some very good players and got lucky with Romo and Dak. I’m not so sure it’s the player selecting—though it might be—it might, to a greater degree, be his meddling, picking bad to mediocre coaches, and undermining those coaches making them worse with his weekly radio shows and dealings with the players.

Flamma

Reaction score
Keep trying to convince us that CD lamb's not there asking for 35 million and you're not going to be able to spread that down below 25 I don't care how far you go out but we do not know the details I'm not saying it's a good thing I'm saying that's where the leverage is the man can't go anywhere he can threaten and posture all he wants but he's going to be right back in the same position next year unless they get something done we do not know the details of these contract negotiations therefore you shouldn't take a side but the franchise tag is like the fifth year option it's fair for both sides to utilize because he will get his money and whatever that tag hit is he also might get an offer for another team and get his contract while the Cowboys get two first round picks that is why it's there you act like you shouldn't use it why don't you tell the NFL to get rid of it next time if you don't like it but since you have no power I'm just stating a fact the man has no leverage you said it and I'm saying it do the team has the franchise tag as leverage he's already on his fifth year option that's more leverage and him playing for $1 million a game and somehow the fan is supposed to have empathy for the man that he's losing already about $1.5 million in fines and seems to not care about losing money like that that some of us may not even make it a lifetime in fines and we're supposed to have empathy no I'm not taking a side this deal will get done and it will not be settled in the court of public opinion and that's what they're doing here in the NFL and Jerry and lamb are all winning because it's creating news which creates ratings including this place...

so we needed ten new threads about the same thing we've been talking about for a month there's no new deal, but most realize there will be one and lamb will pay this years, and?? why the need to continually talk about the same thing when there truly no new news. Both sides posturing the art of negotiation.. No new news must need more viral threads talking about the exact opinion from both sides that they had 4 weeks ago?? .

stoke the fires....same fire same heat
If Lamb gets signed at anywhere near 35M per, I guarantee you his cap hit this year is under 17M. It will be around 10M. Next year won't be 25M either. But had Jerry paid him last offseason, it would be 4 years before we saw a cap hit of 25M. That's the advantage of signing a high priced player as soon as possible.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If Lamb gets signed at anywhere near 35M per, I guarantee you his cap hit this year is under 17M. It will be around 10M. Next year won't be 25M either. But had Jerry paid him last offseason, it would be 4 years before we saw a cap hit of 25M. That's the advantage of signing a high priced player as soon as possible.
nope not how that works no way hes kicking it that far down the road hes on 5th year optn ie final year, so new year starts next year ok MR NFL certified capologist..show me your credentials. and the Nostradamus skills of predicting exactly what the cap it's going too be. you're wasting your talents here... .:facepalm::muttley:

But yes, after year 3 new deal leave 2 years before new money but on 5th year it works differently.

Sydla

Reaction score
Keep trying to convince us that CD lamb's not there asking for 35 million and you're not going to be able to spread that down below 25 I don't care how far you go out but we do not know the details I'm not saying it's a good thing I'm saying that's where the leverage is the man can't go anywhere he can threaten and posture all he wants but he's going to be right back in the same position next year unless they get something done we do not know the details of these contract negotiations therefore you shouldn't take a side but the franchise tag is like the fifth year option it's fair for both sides to utilize because he will get his money and whatever that tag hit is he also might get an offer for another team and get his contract while the Cowboys get two first round picks that is why it's there you act like you shouldn't use it why don't you tell the NFL to get rid of it next time if you don't like it but since you have no power I'm just stating a fact the man has no leverage you said it and I'm saying it do the team has the franchise tag as leverage he's already on his fifth year option that's more leverage and him playing for $1 million a game and somehow the fan is supposed to have empathy for the man that he's losing already about $1.5 million in fines and seems to not care about losing money like that that some of us may not even make it a lifetime in fines and we're supposed to have empathy no I'm not taking a side this deal will get done and it will not be settled in the court of public opinion and that's what they're doing here in the NFL and Jerry and lamb are all winning because it's creating news which creates ratings including this place...

so we needed ten new threads about the same thing we've been talking about for a month there's no new deal, but most realize there will be one and lamb will pay this years, and?? why the need to continually talk about the same thing when there truly no new news. Both sides posturing the art of negotiation.. No new news must need more viral threads talking about the exact opinion from both sides that they had 4 weeks ago?? .

stoke the fires....same fire same heat
You don't understand contracts. If Lamb signs a large extension, that first year cap hit will be low.

All you have to do is open up Google and do some research.

Justin Jefferson just signed a 4 year, $140MM extension. That's $35MM AAV. Guess what his cap hit is this year under the new contract? Just over $8.5MM. Guess what his cap hit is next year? $15.3MM.

So yeah, if Lamb is signed even to the same deal as Jefferson with it averaging $35MM a year, his first year cap hit will be below $25MM and likely by a lot.

Sydla

Reaction score
nope not how that works no way hes kicking it that far down the road hes on 5th year optn ie final year, so new year starts next year ok MR NFL certified capologist..show me your credentials. and the Nostradamus skills of predicting exactly what the cap it's going too be. you're wasting your talents here... .:facepalm::muttley:

But yes, after year 3 new deal leave 2 years before new money but on 5th year it works differently.
Ummm Flamma is likely right.

This is exactly how it works. Teams typically back load these extensions. Even Dallas does it. When we signed Cooper back in 2020, it was a 5 year, $100MM deal. But Dallas backloaded that contract a bit and his first year cap hit wasn't $20MM, it was half of that. When Dak signed his 4 year, $160MM deal his first year cap hit was only $17MM.

If Lamb signs, his first year cap hit will likely be pretty low relative to the AAV of his contract.

Flamma

Reaction score

You're going to see it first hand once he gets signed. If he gets 4 years 35M, that equals 5 years 157M. They can spread that out over 5 years anyway they want. It could be 10, 20, 35, 38, 54. He'll never be a 54M cap hit. By the time that 35 and 38 hit, the cap went up 2-3 times. I don't have to be a capologist to do this. I just pay very close attention to how contracts are structured. It is not rocket science. It's pretty easy stuff.

Flamma

Reaction score
As far as people saying Lamb won't hold out for the regular season, then what good is the holdout? No one cares if you hold out training camp. In order to get paid, you have to be willing to not play in the regular season. Or else you're just all bark and no bite.

Chasing6

Reaction score
While I firmly believe CeeDee will be signed before the season begins. If we indeed started the season without mister lamb, this offense would be the biggest train wreck in the NFL.
Trust me, Mike would be fired by week 3.
So as of right now both Mike and Dak have amazing regular season records to garner a multi year deal. however leaving here looking foolish would be, let's say, a bit harmful to their NFL valuation.

Mike was on life support after his mess in GB, another train wreck and he's toast.

Dak, believe it or not has a big question mark on his back any time he faces difficult defenses. Without CeeDee and a young OL he'd be in big trouble with our schedule and an improved NFC East.
Mike being fired because of Jethro's incompetence. It will never happen.

The entire league knows GM Jethro has no idea what he is doing. Even E. Smith recently shared his thoughts about it. It will have zero effect on Dak's next contract.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
You're going to see it first hand once he gets signed. If he gets 4 years 35M, that equals 5 years 157M. They can spread that out over 5 years anyway they want. It could be 10, 20, 35, 38, 54. He'll never be a 54M cap hit. By the time that 35 and 38 hit, the cap went up 2-3 times. I don't have to be a capologist to do this. I just pay very close attention to how contracts are structured. It is not rocket science. It's pretty easy stuff.
well at least we both agree he's going to get signed and it will be by this team and he will play game one under new or old deal, GUARANTEED so why so may posts? nothing new it will work itself out!!

Only one payer makes 35 the rest have averaged under 30 recently market went down as DJ, Hill, and many others took less!! if that his ask id say jerry has right o take his time.. no one knows the details! IMO like Watson deal Jeffersons is a bad precedent IMHO and really wouldn't be true market that 30-32 add top 5 with JJ its still 31 bet it could get done see BA got 31.8 offer from SF.. Chase still unsigned!! IMHO 32 would get it done and be more than fair for both sides.

LittleD

Reaction score
Give me a break. Without good players you don't win, don't have fans etc. People root for the Cowboys not Jerry. You have it backwards on who has who. Ask Emmitt who had who in 1993. Narrow minded thinking. Ohhh, we can just replace Lamb, Dak, etc.. with anyone and everything will be fine.
Who cares...Not Jerry... He makes multi-millions every calendar year. NFL is a business and business if fine for Jerry. The answer to your question is YES...Lamb can be replaced. Just as Dak will be replaced next spring. Jerry and Stephen will still field a team and the stands will be full. As usual!!!

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Does anyone really say that?

I feel like he’s (McClay mostly of guess) picked some very good players and got lucky with Romo and Dak. I’m not so sure it’s the player selecting—though it might be—it might, to a greater degree, be his meddling, picking bad to mediocre coaches, and undermining those coaches making them worse with his weekly radio shows and dealings with the players.
yeah, he's making that up. Jerry fanboys, lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
I would think that waiting until there’s a resolution with Dak is the time to deal with what they want to do with Lamb.

If you sign Dak, you’ll want to retain Lamb.

If not, you’ll want to trade him and not have big dead money.

Not defending this FO, but what if Dak is refusing to sign under any circumstance other than an eye opening amount at the moment, coupled with Jerry’s ego’s insistence on a discount?

It’s extremely plausible that where we are. Daks camp structured it this way for a reason and they are going to cash in. Jerry seems to want payback for what he didn’t get lately….and is becoming a grumpy old man that is bound to get even worse.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
One of my friends is an entrepeneur and Raiders fan. He identifies with Jerry way more than I do ...and I never fail to remind him that Al Davis corrupted Jerry Jones and he's at fault for our current CRAP-show.

That said, my friend PREDICTED Jerry wasn't going to Pay Dak ...and maybe not anyone else. He kept saying to me, "Never underestimate a hustler's pride...".

I don't think many of you are getting the *thing* that makes Jerry tick. Let's recap:

- Jerry is dealing with a different generation of player that understands branding and marketing as preternaturally as he does. These guys want to beat Jerry at making deals. Game on.
- They all have positioned themselves to be the highest overall at their respective positions. The Cowboys confirmed offers have been made and at least Dak has confirmed he's REJECTING these offers because he wants to reset the market.
- Enter the Green Bay game: Jerry is publicly humiliated and embarrassed by players that were letting everyone know by their body language that losing was no big deal...even Ceedee started pouting in the 1st quarter.
- This was embarrassing as an OWNER. The other owners don't just value the star on the helmet and our fan base, but generally speaking, our teams play hard. Not that night and not on that stage.
- The team's culture was about money: I don't know how many of you watched "Sounds from the Sidelines" but even the snippets they caught of us celebrating any good play was accompanied by "You're gonna get the bag!!!" and while SOME of that has always been there since free agency...it's on steroids compared with other teams.

So all in all, Jerry is a hustler whose pride is being VIOLATED. It's one thing to get beat everyone once in a while - the game is the game - but when people are taking advantage of you, it's time to slide on these fools. I think Jerry is trying to send a message to his players and to the league about the kind of ship he runs and how he views deals in general. I agree that it's foolish, but THAT'S WHAT PRIDE IS...FOOLISH.

Asklesko

Reaction score
No urgency to get lamb in pads and playing? i don't believe that.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One of my friends is an entrepeneur and Raiders fan. He identifies with Jerry way more than I do ...and I never fail to remind him that Al Davis corrupted Jerry Jones and he's at fault for our current CRAP-show.

That said, my friend PREDICTED Jerry wasn't going to Pay Dak ...and maybe not anyone else. He kept saying to me, "Never underestimate a hustler's pride...".

I don't think many of you are getting the *thing* that makes Jerry tick. Let's recap:

- Jerry is dealing with a different generation of player that understands branding and marketing as preternaturally as he does. These guys want to beat Jerry at making deals. Game on.
- They all have positioned themselves to be the highest overall at their respective positions. The Cowboys confirmed offers have been made and at least Dak has confirmed he's REJECTING these offers because he wants to reset the market.
- Enter the Green Bay game: Jerry is publicly humiliated and embarrassed by players that were letting everyone know by their body language that losing was no big deal...even Ceedee started pouting in the 1st quarter.
- This was embarrassing as an OWNER. The other owners don't just value the star on the helmet and our fan base, but generally speaking, our teams play hard. Not that night and not on that stage.
- The team's culture was about money: I don't know how many of you watched "Sounds from the Sidelines" but even the snippets they caught of us celebrating any good play was accompanied by "You're gonna get the bag!!!" and while SOME of that has always been there since free agency...it's on steroids compared with other teams.

So all in all, Jerry is a hustler whose pride is being VIOLATED. It's one thing to get beat everyone once in a while - the game is the game - but when people are taking advantage of you, it's time to slide on these fools. I think Jerry is trying to send a message to his players and to the league about the kind of ship he runs and how he views deals in general. I agree that it's foolish, but THAT'S WHAT PRIDE IS...FOOLISH.
Total lie. Stopped reading.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Told you he was pissed after the GB game.

It's time to send a message to players that PLAYOFF GAMES matter just as much as regular season games matter and if you can't succeed in both then you don't deserve a mega lotto contract. This group of Cowboys have not come close to succeeding in the playoffs so why do some of the players deserve rich contracts???????? It's about time JJ puts his foot down and starts playing HARDBALL with the ones who think they're so deserving, when actually they're not..................