Jerry Jones Seemingly Blames Jason Garrett for Cowboys Loss

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I agree with Jerry’s assessment. The Saints defense was the key in the game.

They stacked the line intent to stop Elliott and forcing Dak and passing offense to beat them over the top. It’s a proven scheme.

That’s doesn’t mean we had poor coaching on our end. Their scheme was effective and worked.

When you wilfully run into the teeth of the defense with no attempt at misdirection or play action it certainly is poor coaching imo. 70% runs on first down is terrible. Should have been 70% pass the way the Saints were calling defense .

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not a JG fan but I didn't see any issues I could blame on him for this loss. I think the Saints were fired up to win this game. I think this, for them, was a revenge game after the Cowboys broke their 9 game winning streak last year shutting down all their weapons. Sometimes a team just cannot bet in rhythm and they lose. It was just one of those game where Dallas did a lot of things wrong.

I am concerned about their DL, as I have been since the beginning of last season and also, the untimely penalties and mistakes. The Cowboys can get sloppy at times. I am also concerned the defense cannot get that big stop when they need it. They needed to stop the Saints on that last drive to preserve time and time outs. They failed. Still, they had enough tie but then the sack, and the Tyron Smith injury cost them valuable time. Like I said, it was one of those games where things just did not go in their favor.

Lutonio

Reaction score
What a misleading headline.
Jerry crediting the saints coaching for their victory (and he credited everything else) is not the same as Jerry blaming JG.

This is garbage reporting at its worst.
Click bait.

"Jerry Jones gives 5 reasons for Cowboys loss. You'll NEVER guess #4!"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When you wilfully run into the teeth of the defense with no attempt at misdirection or play action it certainly is poor coaching imo. 70% runs on first down is terrible. Should have been 70% pass the way the Saints were calling defense .
Play action is set up by the run. If you can’t run, play action isn’t effective.

visionary

Reaction score
This game is a good example of why we continue to languish in mediocrity with Will Clapp as our HC

He cramps up in critical situations against good teams

No say we win 3 (or 4) consecutive games against the best teams in the playoffs with this moron as our HC

waldoputty

Reaction score
What a misleading headline.
Jerry crediting the saints coaching for their victory (and he credited everything else) is not the same as Jerry blaming JG.

This is garbage reporting at its worst.
Click bait.

well u can take it up with the mods
i messed up the initial title and asked the mods to fix it, which was done.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Play action is set up by the run. If you can’t run, play action isn’t effective.

That notion is a misconception. Besides the stats that have already proved that wrong league-wide, the Saints were committed to stopping the run from the beginning. You didn't have to run to set up play action. They were already giving it to you. We should have been passing to set up the run.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/rushing-success-and-play-action-passing

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I mean, it kinda is.

This is clickbait, but giving the other team's coach credit is pretty damning of your own staff.
Nah. Anyone can read it into it and draw a conclusion to fit any agenda.

I think we got beat ourselves. Those two fumbles killed all momentum.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That notion is a misconception. Besides the stats that have already proved that wrong league-wide, the Saints were committed to stopping the run from the beginning. You didn't have to run to set up play action. They were already giving it to you. We should have been passing to set up the run.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/rushing-success-and-play-action-passing

But yea, an effective running game has always set up play action which isn’t as effective without the threat of the run.

That doesn’t mean you still can’t throw the ball. But defenses don’t have to respect the run.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
But yea, an effective running game has always set up play action which isn’t as effective without the threat of the run.

That doesn’t mean you still can’t throw the ball. But defenses don’t have to respect the run.

They respected the run all game. The linebackers were playing down the whole time. Play action and throwing it over their heads would have made them back off and then the run would have been more effective. In fact I would say the Saints didn't respect the pass enough and the Cowboys gave them no reason to do so.

Praxit

Reaction score
Garrett is done. He kind of looked like a helpless passenger on Sunday night to the point where I almost felt bad for him. Jerry set this up by keeping Garrett but empowering the coordinators. He should have just done the merciful thing and fired Garrett instead of trying this experiment with semi-autonomous coordinators. That said, it sure seems that this experiment is about to end. I know Jerry would love to get his hands on Payton.

I agree for the most part but I wouldn't blame the refs. They were calling ticky tack stuff all night and most of it was going against NO. If the refs held their flags, New Orleans beats Dallas by more.
....that fumble call was bogus and probably game changing. Worst case we get a FG out of it. We win by point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This game is a good example of why we continue to languish in mediocrity with Will Clapp as our HC

He cramps up in critical situations against good teams

No say we win 3 (or 4) consecutive games against the best teams in the playoffs with this moron as our HC
I see more examples where our talent cramps up in critical situations.

Besides the 4th down call where Elliott fumbled on , I’m trying to recall another situation where our HC cramped up?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They respected the run all game. The linebackers were playing down the whole time. Play action and throwing it over their heads would have made them back off and then the run would have been more effective. In fact I would say the Saints didn't respect the pass enough and the Cowboys gave them no reason to do so.
Looked like to me they were stacking the line to stop the run forcing Dak to beat them over the top.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I see more examples where our talent cramps up in critical situations.

Besides the 4th down call where Elliott fumbled on , I’m trying to recall another situation where our HC cramped up?

The cramped up all game. 70% runs on first down is terrible playcalling.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The cramped up all game. 70% runs on first down is terrible playcalling.
Our offense runs thru our running game. We must establish it. Our entire assets of OL ,RB and QB is dependent on it.

Shut down our running game , you usually shut down our offense.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Oh goodie, how will JG get out of this pickle? The suspense is killing me. :rolleyes: