Video: Jerry Jones will fire Dak Prescott if he has to pay Mahomes money

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you can disagree all you want but Dak led the #1 offense despite Zeke being a no show vs the good teams.

So zeke was the no show and Dak carried the team on his back with heroic performances? Such as...what?

So we have teams telling us "Stop Zeke stop the cowboys"....but you are going to hold on to your Dak saved us thing? Wow....dak derangement syndrome.

Look...I don't hate dak. He did pretty well driving a Lamborghini. Not just anyone can do that. Not just any QB has 3-4 #1 draft picks crouching next to him. Then go out and get a legit #1 WR for yet ANOTHER #1 pick. Let's just TRY to keep it real. Don;t let your zeke hatred cloud your mind.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
So zeke was the no show and Dak carried the team on his back with heroic performances? Such as...what?

So we have teams telling us "Stop Zeke stop the cowboys"....but you are going to hold on to your Dak saved us thing? Wow....dak derangement syndrome.

Look...I don't hate dak. He did pretty well driving a Lamborghini. Not just anyone can do that. Not just any QB has 3-4 #1 draft picks crouching next to him. Then go out and get a legit #1 WR for yet ANOTHER #1 pick. Let's just TRY to keep it real. Don;t let your zeke hatred cloud your mind.
That Lambo was nice. Had an engine and could cruise. Too bad the brakes (D) kind of sucked and couldn't get any takeaways and the wheels (Special Teams) kept putting the car in crap positions.
Could have been a better Lambo.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Dak controls his own fate now, and there isn’t much Jerry can do about it.

Not a bad place to be if you believe in yourself, as Dak apparently does.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett was PLAY CALLER with Romo as QB, until Linehan came in 2014.

Dak NEVER had Garrett as a PLAY CALLED. Garrett wasn’t allowed to touch the offense.

This idea that Garrett held Romo back has no bearing with Dak, who was under the influence of Linehan and Moore. Dak can’t leverage this excuse, nor can his fans.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think you are missing the point.

Paying Dak the Tag implies you are paying him $31 mil/yr and becuz the second year gets locked in at $38MIL/Yr due to the Tag requiring Dak to be paid 20% of the total cap..

that is not going to be affordable being we have so many other high dollar guys already.

So maybe you can see it more quickly. If the cap crashes as much as they predict..

Dak is on the street. There will be no $38 mil to pay him in 2021. Nor any other year.
I get the point, if Dak wants Mahomes type money Jerry will say no....

but he can't fire anyone he doesn't employ. for now, Dak is under contract until 2021....when he is a free agent again and they may tag him if there is not other option and pay the 38...which between 31, and 38 it will average to what it was reported they were going to pay him anyway....

but if cap crashes, its another story, although I think NFLPA and owners will come to some kind of understanding. if cap crashes like expected, then there will be a lot of veteran FAs and cuts that can't get minimum contracts...(half jokingly).

Verdict

Reaction score
exactly why there shows are so inanely stupid.
you can't fire a free agent.
all you can do is let him hit the one market and make even more money than he has asked for.

if jerry wanted a sweetheart deal that time to get that was 2 years ago.
Yes. Much like Dez. Oh, wait.... lol

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think you are missing the point.

Paying Dak the Tag implies you are paying him $31 mil/yr and becuz the second year gets locked in at $38MIL/Yr due to the Tag requiring Dak to be paid 20% of the total cap..

that is not going to be affordable being we have so many other high dollar guys already.

So maybe you can see it more quickly. If the cap crashes as much as they predict..

Dak is on the street. There will be no $38 mil to pay him in 2021. Nor any other year.

This is where most fans are misguided IMO. I crashing cap will not only affect Dallas but 31 other teams. Do you only think the league will let that happen without a viable alternative? Think about it, IF the cap crashes as you say, the Saints can't afford to keep Brees or Packers can't keep Rogers or Watson/Jackson don't get paid. In fact, you can make a case nearly ALL QBs on larger contracts will take up 20%+ of their team's cap. So a so-called "crashing cap" will not only impact Dak.

conner01

Reaction score
Does Dak know this? I mean....know that he isn't a top 5 QB? Odds are "pretty low".
I doubt he thinks he’s top 5
But salaries are not based on rankings
It’s all about who is getting a deal at the time
Even Mahommes who most think is the best QB won’t be highest paid in a few years
And if not for the other issues that are gonna whack the cap it wouldn’t be long at all

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sorry to tell you but your opinion of dak being elite carries much less weight than the people that do this for a living, which have him around 10th which is not elite.

no one out there other than cowboys fans say dak is an elite qb. Good yes, elite no.

And my opinion is also not relevant, im simply stating what I’m seeing out there...I know I don’t have the full view of these analysts or coaches

:huh: Most people inside NFL circles agree he's at least top 10........that pretty close to elite. It's the Cowboys fan who questions whether or not he's even starting material.

Proof

Reaction score
Dak either elevates to a top five qb and gets paid as such or he is gone and we draft a new one and use dalton to bridge the development

how exactly do you propose We do that when Dalton is signed for only one year? He’s certainly not taking 3 mil to be the starter.

Jipper

Reaction score
What’s top 3 money changes every year
Eventually Mahommes won’t be topped paid

agree but
:huh: Most people inside NFL circles agree he's at least top 10........that pretty close to elite. It's the Cowboys fan who questions whether or not he's even starting material.

I acknowledged most rate him between 8 and 13...elite is top 3 to 5 max....he’s not elite....

Jipper

Reaction score
how exactly do you propose We do that when Dalton is signed for only one year? He’s certainly not taking 3 mil to be the starter.

Nope he won’t take 3 mil to be the starter but I’m sure jerry could work up a contract for a couple years.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
agree but

I acknowledged most rate him between 8 and 13...elite is top 3 to 5 max....he’s not elite....

Maybe so but it all depends on how we're defining elite......personal stats, team stats, Super Bowls, playoffs?

BTW...... Being rated #8 isn't that far from #5 especially spending the entire career with an average coach at best.