Video: Jerry Jones will fire Dak Prescott if he has to pay Mahomes money

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Cowboys may offer to pay Dak Prescott what he deserves and nothing more!

That much is somewhat obvious by what has happened, until this point in time. o_O

Mahomes' money isn't far removed from what has already been offered by Dallas!

In fair perspective, the Cowboys will see what else Dak can offer in terms of talent.
Dallas in control and can decide to set the market price, they already have actually.
If we want Dak, he will be here.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't think we are done after this year, necessarily. Certainly not ideal but the other shoe here is what will other teams pay? Lots of people always assumed that Dak could get more money then anybody on a resign. They may still believe that. But I honestly don't believe he comes close to seeing an offer like that. I'm not even sure he will see an offer that might match the one he got from Dallas. Dak may not have a lot of choice here. This thing might go beyond just this next year and then your basically three years away from a contract. I don't know how this will work but I know this, Dak should have taken the offer he got. CAA are not good guys. They are not for Dak IMO. They are for CAA.
Bad time to extort during a pandemic,, Mahomes deal was the perfect storm.
Man succeeded and got a ring, got 500m, and still allowed KC to sign several other team mates like Chris Jones, with team friendly term and structure.
That is one well run organization in KC.

38 Special

Reaction score
A lot easier said than done, this scenario could potentially set this team back 2-3 years, if not more.

I don’t disagree with you, but caving and paying him more than Mahomes makes over the next 5 years will set us back just as long, if not longer.

Dallas is in a bad spot at the QB position after this year, no doubt.

conner01

Reaction score
Nope he won’t take 3 mil to be the starter but I’m sure jerry could work up a contract for a couple years.
He’s not gonna be a starter in the nfl unless it’s by injury
That ship has sailed and it’s not like he was an elite player in his prime

aria

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with you, but caving and paying him more than Mahomes makes over the next 5 years will set us back just as long, if not longer.

I see what you’re saying but with the roster we have now, do we really need a superstar QB on offense? I think Dak is better than average but not great. Drafting a QB, even a high prospect, is a huge risk and if he doesn’t work out that can easily backfire because not only will we be looking for a new QB but most of the talent we currently have on offense right now will most likely be gone. Also, if we want to move up in the draft for a QB it is still a risk and I bet based on where we end up, even if it’s high teens, we’ll have to give away so many draft picks and/or players that it would probably hurt more than paying Dak.

On the other hand, we could always risk an above average FA on short lower cost type deal but there’s no guarantees who will be available, who will offer them the most, and how they’ll work out. I would have taken Cam this year on a short deal but who knows who will be there next year.

Obviously there’s the option of paying Dak and hope the salary cap increases year after year. I know people don’t like to hear it but we’ve overpaid for some of our guys big time and it may come back to bite us. Jerry paid the wrong offensive guy early, he could have saved lots of money paying Dak and letting zeke sit which is why I’m sure Dak had no problems with it, he knew the QB price was only going up and if he played well enough than that would be reflected in his salary.

Whether people want to believe it or not, if Dak doesn’t get injured and plays like he has his entire NFL career he will be the one who has Jerry by the you know what. Almost every local and national analyst I’ve heard has said the same thing, Dak will be in the drivers seat. If I didn’t care about what was best for the team, I would be laughing and laughing at Jerry. Those who think transitioning to another QB will be easy are more likely than not to be very disappointed. Even finding an average QB on the pro level isn’t a gimme and plenty of average QB’s have won Super Bowls.

Just my 2 cents. I rarely chime in on these threads so there it all is.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I suspect whatever Jerry does will end in this fashion:

tenor.gif

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes. Much like Dez. Oh, wait.... lol
Not even sure what any of this means.

Dallas cut Dez who was under contract for quite a lot of money after 3 seasons of declining play.

Dallas blew it on Dez by also not early re-signing him. They waited til year 5 and ended up paying him about 15M a year over the next 3 years. They ended up having to deal with Roc sports and Jay Z.
Early re-signings have been consistently good business. Late signings have been pretty brutal.

Had Dallas signed Dez in year 3 to the extension they would have been able to cut him like a year earlier if they desired with no real cap penalties.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not even sure what any of this means.

Dallas cut Dez who was under contract for quite a lot of money after 3 seasons of declining play.

Dallas blew it on Dez by also not early re-signing him. They waited til year 5 and ended up paying him about 15M a year over the next 3 years. They ended up having to deal with Roc sports and Jay Z.
Early re-signings have been consistently good business. Late signings have been pretty brutal.

Had Dallas signed Dez in year 3 to the extension they would have been able to cut him like a year earlier if they desired with no real cap penalties.
Ok. DALL offered 33 mil. Dak refused. Exactly what would you have had Dall do?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas in control and can decide to set the market price, they already have actually.
Dallas is in control but they don't the set the market it got set for them at 31.4M
And it is 37.7M next year even if the cap gets reduced because of the franchise tag rule.
Dallas hasn't "lost control" but they have made this hard on themselves.

38 Special

Reaction score
I see what you’re saying but with the roster we have now, do we really need a superstar QB on offense? I think Dak is better than average but not great. Drafting a QB, even a high prospect, is a huge risk and if he doesn’t work out that can easily backfire because not only will we be looking for a new QB but most of the talent we currently have on offense right now will most likely be gone. Also, if we want to move up in the draft for a QB it is still a risk and I bet based on where we end up, even if it’s high teens, we’ll have to give away so many draft picks and/or players that it would probably hurt more than paying Dak.

On the other hand, we could always risk an above average FA on short lower cost type deal but there’s no guarantees who will be available, who will offer them the most, and how they’ll work out. I would have taken Cam this year on a short deal but who knows who will be there next year.

Obviously there’s the option of paying Dak and hope the salary cap increases year after year. I know people don’t like to hear it but we’ve overpaid for some of our guys big time and it may come back to bite us. Jerry paid the wrong offensive guy early, he could have saved lots of money paying Dak and letting zeke sit which is why I’m sure Dak had no problems with it, he knew the QB price was only going up and if he played well enough than that would be reflected in his salary.

Whether people want to believe it or not, if Dak doesn’t get injured and plays like he has his entire NFL career he will be the one who has Jerry by the you know what. Almost every local and national analyst I’ve heard has said the same thing, Dak will be in the drivers seat. If I didn’t care about what was best for the team, I would be laughing and laughing at Jerry. Those who think transitioning to another QB will be easy are more likely than not to be very disappointed. Even finding an average QB on the pro level isn’t a gimme and plenty of average QB’s have won Super Bowls.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. It seems like we may be poised for a Minnesota Vikings type of run, where we are looking for guys like an old Brett Favre or an overlooked Case Keenum to pair with an otherwise good roster. You can win some games with that model, and those two both had a little playoff success and may have won it all with better luck. It will require continued success in the draft, which has fueled the current team as constructed.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything you said. It seems like we may be poised for a Minnesota Vikings type of run, where we are looking for guys like an old Brett Favre or an overlooked Case Keenum to pair with an otherwise good roster. You can win some games with that model, and those two both had a little playoff success and may have won it all with better luck. It will require continued success in the draft, which has fueled the current team as constructed.
I've pretty much become resigned to that.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
This is where most fans are misguided IMO. I crashing cap will not only affect Dallas but 31 other teams. Do you only think the league will let that happen without a viable alternative? Think about it, IF the cap crashes as you say, the Saints can't afford to keep Brees or Packers can't keep Rogers or Watson/Jackson don't get paid. In fact, you can make a case nearly ALL QBs on larger contracts will take up 20%+ of their team's cap. So a so-called "crashing cap" will not only impact Dak.
I understand.

All teams are affected. Never inferred otherwise.

So for us and becuz Daks contract is still open ended..its him. It like that old game we played as kids. The musc plays..you go round and round..the music stops and everybody sits but somebody is left out.

So I just think if this happens it serves Dak and France right. Their playing like they have and trying to maneuver around ownership not dealing in good faith may dump their house made of cards.

I'm all for it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Yep, he'll be fortunate enough to get the franchise tag, a tidy 31.4 mil, I see. At least, he was smart enough to sign it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He’s not gonna be a starter in the nfl unless it’s by injury
That ship has sailed and it’s not like he was an elite player in his prime

So if the general consensus is that Dalton isnt a starter and he's already (I think) the highest paid back up QB, he'd be willing for an extensions of around $3m (+ incentives).

1) We don't need elite with this offense.....just a stop gap.
2) We have to set up contingencies in the eventuality Dak leaves.

Flamma

Reaction score

Not sure about that second part. You put a really good team around Dalton, he'll be fine. Especially if the D is really good. Long term is the issue.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

We went 8-8, we are in a Minnesota Vikings type run at the moment.

Adreme

Reaction score
So if the general consensus is that Dalton isnt a starter and he's already (I think) the highest paid back up QB, he'd be willing for an extensions of around $3m (+ incentives).

1) We don't need elite with this offense.....just a stop gap.
2) We have to set up contingencies in the eventuality Dak leaves.

He is not even close to the highest paid backup. Taysom Hill with 8.8 million is probably technically the highest paid backup. Alex Smith coming back from injury could give him that job(but I think he could win the starting job). While the same can be said about Foles in Chicago whichever QB ends up the backup is making more than Dalton. The same can be said about Marcus Mariota who is making 7.5 million to be a backup next year. Lastly Case Keenum, AJ McCarron and Chase Daniel are also all making more than Dalton.

Also the problem with having a below stopgap guy is that he can be not good to really make the playoffs with or even compete for a playoff spot with, but just too good to get you into the top 5 of the draft where you can find your real QB. Basically I think the Cowboys this year are a 9-10 win team with Dak starting and probably a 6-7 win team with Dalton starting. That means no playoffs but also picking 11th or 12th too far gone to find the beset prospects (thus further lowering the probability of a hit).

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dallas is in control but they don't the set the market it got set for them at 31.4M
And it is 37.7M next year even if the cap gets reduced because of the franchise tag rule.
Dallas hasn't "lost control" but they have made this hard on themselves.
Yes, on the franchise tag, but I doubt Dak is offered a dime more than offered this year in 2021.
It may even be reduced, and not trying to be factitious here, just saying, nobody knows the state of this game nor contract structure going forward.
Smart players and the agents representing them got deals done, and grabbed the cash while it was relevant.
Nobody knows what is relevant right now, and a bad time to be a betting man.
This situation gives the Cowboys more leverage at this point.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

He's in the drivers seat because he wants the money (understandable) and doesnt want to negotiate (fair enough).

Just dont start blaming Jones..... it all came down to the first time Dak could negotiate a contract he couldnt get the offence working and was possibly low balled...... the irony and something alot of Cowboys fans dont want want to acknowledge is that our most successful recent season (2018) was based on Defence.

I'm sure if JJ and more importantly MM wanted Dak they would have paid him what he wanted.

Just think MM would prefer to see what he's got before committing most of his war chest.

Lets not kid ourselves about the "he'll cost more next year" argument....he's already demanding top dollar, as close to Mahomes as possible.