Video: Jerry Jones will fire Dak Prescott if he has to pay Mahomes money

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No one knows if this is a SB caliber team with Dak. I certainly have my doubts and it’s not just about the QB.

But what are we without him until we find another QB at least at his level?

My feeling is this team is built to contend now. We have a core of stars signed for about 4 years which doesn’t seem like an unworkable situation with Dak.

If it doesn’t work out then we move on in a few years. Unless you think we’re going to hit the jackpot in the draft next year or sign a big QB in FA who makes immediate impact.

So many contradictions. You have doubts with the team not just the QB and then claim we're a team "built to contend".

I think this confusion is what's behind the reticence to pay a high CAP % on a roster that may need to spending in other areas (eg defense).

Indeed, sacrifice some offfence (Dak) for an improved defense......MM will decide.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wonder how they explain Stafford being highest paid QB in 2017 or Ryan in 2018. Neither were best in the league?
Agreed, it's all about timing.

Theres no way to justify any QB salary at this point. They are way off the map, and itll eventually correct itself.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Btw let's keep in mind that "Mahomes money" included a whopping 10m signing bonus. Cash up front is king.

10/503 looks impressive, but it's hardly that.

Jerry will eventually make this work, so I dont the the real point in debating it as extensively as we do.
I think that 50 million dollar signing bonus had Dak looking for a pen. I think after they realized the deal couldn’t be done in time that they started working on next years deal a little bit. The structure was fine and the average money may go up a few million next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So many contradictions. You have doubts with the team not just the QB and then claim we're a team "built to contend".

I think this confusion is what's behind the reticence to pay a high CAP % on a roster that may need to spending in other areas (eg defense).

Indeed, sacrifice some offfence (Dak) for an improved defense......MM will decide.
My criticism is based on what our organization has claimed not on my personal thoughts.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one knows if this is a SB caliber team with Dak. I certainly have my doubts and it’s not just about the QB.

But what are we without him until we find another QB at least at his level?

My feeling is this team is built to contend now. We have a core of stars signed for about 4 years which doesn’t seem like an unworkable situation with Dak.

If it doesn’t work out then we move on in a few years. Unless you think we’re going to hit the jackpot in the draft next year or sign a big QB in FA who makes immediate impact.
Agreed. Seems some feel there is a better QB than Dak to be found on every street corner, and that’s nonsense. Dak certainly isn’t Mahomes or Rodgers, but neither is he the lost cause some pretend. Most teams do not have, and will not find a Mahomes or Rodgers, so they need to build a strong team with a next tier guy. Dumping Dak without a clear replacement at Dak’s level or better could leave the team with a QB several tiers behind and kill any chances for the foreseeable future. Accordingly, the people that want to just get rid of Dak without understanding the consequences and under the assumption that getting someone better is simple and assured aren’t really thinking this through.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder how they explain Stafford being highest paid QB in 2017 or Ryan in 2018. Neither were best in the league?
People want to think of pay as a position ranking, and that’s completely illogical. The only way it could be is if every QB negotiated a new contract in the same year under identical market conditions with all teams agreeing on the QB ranking. Clearly unrealistic.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He hasn’t. Only to be paid more than Wilson now who next year will be like 5th highest at best.
Do we know he even asked to be paid more than Wilson? Seems most reports indicated he was fine with a range somewhere in the range of Wentz/Gooff to Wilson, but didn’t want to do 5 years.

glimmerman

Reaction score
People want to think of pay as a position ranking, and that’s completely illogical. The only way it could be is if every QB negotiated a new contract in the same year under identical market conditions with all teams agreeing on the QB ranking. Clearly unrealistic.
I think he will get a similar offer next year. He is set to make 37. Was apparently offered 35 last offer. They seemed to have a agreement on the structure at least. He wants that big signing bonus. Maybe 36 next year. A few more million guaranteed. I am sure Daks agent will stall until watson and or jackson gets paid.. Also depends on how he does this season. Or the team..

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Agreed. Seems some feel there is a better QB than Dak to be found on every street corner, and that’s nonsense. Dak certainly isn’t Mahomes or Rodgers, but neither is he the lost cause some pretend. Most teams do not have, and will not find a Mahomes or Rodgers, so they need to build a strong team with a next tier guy. Dumping Dak without a clear replacement at Dak’s level or better could leave the team with a QB several tiers behind and kill any chances for the foreseeable future. Accordingly, the people that want to just get rid of Dak without understanding the consequences and under the assumption that getting someone better is simple and assured aren’t really thinking this through.

I refer you to 2018 and how the defense carried the Dak led offense.

This is supposedly one of best offenses, so if Dak wants too much money (JJ + MM's call) id be OK with sacrificing offense (Dak) go trade/draft/Dalton at QB and improving defense.

We go back to the discussion that if we dont succeed in 2020 then paying Dak a much higher % of the CAP and unable to improve the wholes in the team isnt going to get us anywhere.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot easier said than done, this scenario could potentially set this team back 2-3 years, if not more.

Is it? It's not like Dalton hasn't shown himself to be a very capable quarterback during his career, especially when he's actually had talent around him.

And there are few - if any - quarterbacks that would have the talent around them that the Cowboys have.

Would it be ideal? No. But it's clear that the team needs to thoroughly vet all options going forward. Enough of this 'Dak is our guy' nonsense, when you continually fail to reach a deal.

A plunging cap projected for 2021, along with a huge increase to the tag cost, is a recipe for disaster. And it is precisely why this team needs to explore each and every option they have.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I refer you to 2018 and how the defense carried the Dak led offense.

This is supposedly one of best offenses, so if Dak wants too much money (JJ + MM's call) id be OK with sacrificing offense (Dak) go trade/draft/Dalton at QB and improving defense.

We go back to the discussion that if we dont succeed in 2020 then paying Dak a much higher % of the CAP and unable to improve the wholes in the team isnt going to get us anywhere.
Obviously 2020 results will play a big role in the negotiation next year. No sense in saying what we are fine doing until we see those results.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is it? It's not like Dalton hasn't shown himself to be a very capable quarterback during his career, especially when he's actually had talent around him.

And there are few - if any - quarterbacks that would have the talent around them that the Cowboys have.

Would it be ideal? No. But it's clear that the team needs to thoroughly vet all options going forward. Enough of this 'Dak is our guy' nonsense, when you continually fail to reach a deal.

A plunging cap projected for 2021, along with a huge increase to the tag cost, is a recipe for disaster. And it is precisely why this team needs to explore each and every option they have.
Prescott signing the franchise tag pit was the best thing that could’ve happened for him in the franchise. Everything else is just posturing I agree

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He also criticized his teammates.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/phi...wboys-dak-prescott-carson-wentz-20191017.html

The fact that Cooper essentially bailed his career out is pretty well known to anybody paying attention. This statement is similar to when he was struggling before the team went and got him. He blamed his receivers including TEs, that they need to help him out.
I look at it as. Prescott who is the one who bailed out Cooper’s career. They both ridiculous statements

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And this is what we have to deal with.

We just went thru 9 years under Romo with nothing to show for it.

Now we have added 4 more years under Dak with little to show for it.

If Dak wins a SB, it will only be becuz Dak has surpassed Mahomes or the rest of the league has dropped back to Dak.

Which seems more likely?
2016. It was plenty to show. We’ve been in turmoil since then. And even the season is going to be a disaster. I’m thrilled about the franchise tag it was best for everyone. But to use this as a quality of player post. It just doesn’t make sense to me

aria

Reaction score
He's in the drivers seat because he wants the money (understandable) and doesnt want to negotiate (fair enough).

Just dont start blaming Jones..... it all came down to the first time Dak could negotiate a contract he couldnt get the offence working and was possibly low balled...... the irony and something alot of Cowboys fans dont want want to acknowledge is that our most successful recent season (2018) was based on Defence.

I'm sure if JJ and more importantly MM wanted Dak they would have paid him what he wanted.

Just think MM would prefer to see what he's got before committing most of his war chest.

Lets not kid ourselves about the "he'll cost more next year" argument....he's already demanding top dollar, as close to Mahomes as possible.
I’m not blaming it all on Jones but partially. I believe he made a huge error drafting a RB with the 4th overall pick, paying that RB with 2 years left on his contract after he acted like a baby diva and paying him as much as he did. That has nothing to do with my personal feeling of said baby diva, the only RB I think is worth that kind of money is CM.

I laughed at the Gnats and was thankful they used the #2 overall pick on a RB and will be laughing if/when they pay Barkley and think Barkley is a stud and a great guy. This is a passing league now, not the early 90’s, plus RB’s can be found much later in the draft.

I also wasn’t a fan of letting Jones walk. I would have rather seen him to do zeke what he’s did to Dak and spend that money on defense.

And he will most likely cost more next year if he has a good year. If anything he’ll probably be demanding what he already did this year and Jerry will have to pay him that, which he obviously didn’t do, franchise him again which will cost more or let him walk which is a big gamble.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Do we know he even asked to be paid more than Wilson? Seems most reports indicated he was fine with a range somewhere in the range of Wentz/Gooff to Wilson, but didn’t want to do 5 years.

That was before Mahomes signed....nobody knows how its effected the acceptable range.

If I were France he's surely going to be advising that $35m is now outdated and low.

If @Diehardblues $40m for Watson and Jackson is anywhere true, Dak will demand similar.