Twitter: Jerry Jones won't put Jimmy Johnson in Ring of Honor in 2020

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry will induct him. Only a matter of time.

He said a few years ago he wouldn’t put him in. There’s wounds Jimmy and Jerry carry from their breakup that still haven’t healed and probably never will. They’re friendly with each other in public but the bitterness is still there. If there wasn’t some bitterness Jerry would have put Jimmy in the ROH a long time ago.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After the reaction I saw on the pregame when they announced that he would be in the HOF, I don't think the ROH is on Johnson's mind anymore than Booger's. At least Johnson got in on accomplishment and not because he showed the other owner's how they were leaving money on the table.

I think anyone that didn't coach or play in the NFL shouldn't be in the HOF.

Big_D

Reaction score
He should in 2021. There’s absolutely no reason to continue to put it off.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Right now I bet it's 50-50 what happens first...Jimmy gets in...or Jerry dies.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Jerry wouldn’t look like such a bitter baby if he just admitted he doesn’t want Jimmy in the ROH instead of making excuses when everyone knows what’s going on. What an egotistical jerk.
Jerry doesn't come across as bitter in the least. And Jimmy was/is just as big of an egomaniac as Jerry.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Stephen will end up having to do it after Jerry passes............. Jerry's ego is much larger than his character.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones has zero say in who is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Conversely, Jones has total control over who gets inducted in the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor.

On one hand, the Hall's Board of Selectors are thanked (or ridiculed) for enshrining individuals. On the other hand, Jones receives all thanks (or criticism) for inducting individuals.

Jones' narcissism placed him firmly within an unsavory dilemma. He could have put Johnson in the Ring already. The Hall's selectors (primarily on the recommendation of Bill Belichick and a one-time blue ribbon panel) beat Jones to the punch.

If Jones announced any date for putting Johnson into the Ring, he exposes himself to justified criticism for doing the right thing after the fact and after Johnson's more prestigious recognition. "Are you trying to upstage the Hall of Fame?" "Why announce this now before Johnson's big day?" Etc.

Even so, Jones delays inevitable elevated scrutiny after Johnson's Hall of Fame ceremony ends--maybe during that same particular day. "Why have you not set a date for Johnson's Ring induction yet?" "Do you rank professional football's highest accolade below your own franchise's most illustrious acknowledgment? When IS a good date to celebrate your former two-time defending Super Bowl winning coach and you? Etc.

Then again, Jones may not give it a second thought if people with access to him do not ask him obvious questions either.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I see Jerry is still being a petty a*****.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wholeheartedly believe Jimmy Johnson should already be in the RoH. That said, I understand not wanting to do it this year to possibly detract from the HoF induction buzz. Next year will be the better time and his inclusion should definitely be done next year! No more BS!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like that he basically said he doesn't want to take away from the HoF induction by putting him in the RoH this year. I agree, it's better to wait until at least next year.

It wasn't a problem for Gil Brandt but it is for Jimmy Johnson?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones has zero say in who is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Conversely, Jones has total control over who gets inducted in the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor.

On one hand, the Hall's Board of Selectors are thanked (or ridiculed) for enshrining individuals. On the other hand, Jones receives all thanks (or criticism) for inducting individuals.

Jones' narcissism placed him firmly within an unsavory dilemma. He could have put Johnson in the Ring already. The Hall's selectors (primarily on the recommendation of Bill Belichick and a one-time blue ribbon panel) beat Jones to the punch.

If Jones announced any date for putting Johnson into the Ring, he exposes himself to justified criticism for doing the right thing after the fact and after Johnson's more prestigious recognition. "Are you trying to upstage the Hall of Fame?" "Why announce this now before Johnson's big day?" Etc.

Even so, Jones delays inevitable elevated scrutiny after Johnson's Hall of Fame ceremony ends--maybe during that same particular day. "Why have you not set a date for Johnson's Ring induction yet?" "Do you rank professional football's highest accolade below your own franchise's most illustrious acknowledgment? When IS a good date to celebrate your former two-time defending Super Bowl winning coach and you? Etc.

Then again, Jones may not give it a second thought if people with access to him do not ask him obvious questions either.

This just happened with Gil Brandt. Jerry snuck him into the ROH the same year and AFTER his HOF induction. So, there is a recent precedent making Jerry's reasoning on Jimmy seem all the more disingenuous.

Its a vendetta and it just makes him look petty. But, I guess if you are worth 5 billion, why care.