Twitter: Jerry Jones won't put Jimmy Johnson in Ring of Honor in 2020

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry and Jimmy’s ego is what tore them apart. Jerry’s ego will never allow him to put Jimmy in the ROH.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When Jerry took credit for a trade Jimmy made for Tony Casillas is when their relationship first started to crack and their egos began to clash.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry wouldn’t look like such a bitter baby if he just admitted he doesn’t want Jimmy in the ROH instead of making excuses when everyone knows what’s going on. What an egotistical jerk.
I knew this thread would get a lot of action from the haters like this one and the many others who have spewed in this thread.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A few years ago Jerry said he wasn’t going to put Jimmy in. He said the ROH is more for the players but he put Tom Landry, Tex Shramm and Gil Brandt in.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few years ago Jerry said he wasn’t going to put Jimmy in. He said the ROH is more for the players but he put Tom Landry, Tex Shramm and Gil Brandt in.
Jerry makes too many decisions from an emotional level. He was offended by Jimmy the last year he was here. Some thoughts:
1. Good leaders don’t hold grudges when recognizing someone from the past just because they feel slighted.
2. Sure Jimmy had some fault in the split, but Jerry had more Long term authority as owner over the team.
3. Jerry lets his feelings decide too much about what he does. He runs the Cowboys like a family reunion instead of a top NFL organization committed to winning FIRST.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Too bad many do not want to understand this. They care more about having something to rag on Jerry or the team more than actually caring if Jimmy get in the ROH.

But isn’t the HOF better than the ROH? JJ should’ve brought him in years ago. Jimmy has reached the pinnacle already. It should be inducted into ROH then HOF, just my opinion.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry makes too many decisions from an emotional level. He was offended by Jimmy the last year he was here. Some thoughts:
1. Good leaders don’t hold grudges when recognizing someone from the past just because they feel slighted.
2. Sure Jimmy had some fault in the split, but Jerry had more Long term authority as owner over the team.
3. Jerry lets his feelings decide too much about what he does. He runs the Cowboys like a family reunion instead of a top NFL organization committed to winning FIRST.

Jerry started going away from what he told Jimmy. Jerry went from handling the financial to wanting to handle the football decisions. In an interview with Jerry a few years ago he said he told Jimmy he wanted to start having some fun and making some trades. He began to mettle and it started to fracture their relationship. Once their egos began to clash it was over.

Plankton

Reaction score
There's a difference between being a "puppet" and letting your boss have some of the credit for helping to put a team together.

Look at Jimmy's track record of job tenures. He wasn't planning to stay.

The track record stuff is completely overblown, and generally not accurate when assessing the Cowboys versus what happened in the other stops.

He left Oklahoma State for a better job at Miami. There isn't a coach in America that wouldn't have done the same thing in those circumstances.
He left Miami for an even more high profile job in Dallas. Again, I'm not sure how many people wouldn't have done the same thing.
He left Dallas because he got fired. If he quit, he wouldn't have gotten $2 million to walk away. That's called severance.
He left Miami because he was done with football after his mother died. He never coached again.

The track record argument is not what you think it is.

Plankton

Reaction score
How about supplying every dollar it took to build it?

Jerry and Jimmy were teammates in college, so it's not like he had no relevant football background. He wasn't the football genius Jimmy was, but he had some knowledge...and all the money. Jerry probably wouldn't have gotten to the SB without Jimmy, but Jimmy probably wouldn't have gotten to the NFL without Jerry.

Considering that the 49ers had been sniffing around Johnson as a possible replacement for Bill Walsh, I don't think you are correct.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The track record stuff is completely overblown, and generally not accurate when assessing the Cowboys versus what happened in the other stops.

He left Oklahoma State for a better job at Miami. There isn't a coach in America that wouldn't have done the same thing in those circumstances.
He left Miami for an even more high profile job in Dallas. Again, I'm not sure how many people wouldn't have done the same thing.
He left Dallas because he got fired. If he quit, he wouldn't have gotten $2 million to walk away. That's called severance.
He left Miami because he was done with football after his mother died. He never coached again.

The track record argument is not what you think it is.
I wasn't saying he literally quit, but rather he knowingly pushed Jerry to the point of firing him.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I too kinda think Jerry isn’t ever going to put him in. I think he’s kinda deflecting a bit while this is a hot topic and when it’s brought up again he will go back to the previous excuses. In his mind, the Ring is for lifelong, loyal Cowboys. Jimmy can be an NFL legend, but not necessarily a Ring guy. Jerry probably views Jimmy as more of a TV guy than a Cowboy at this point.

vlad

Reaction score
I assume he won't put him in there until after he can show he won a Superbowl on his own

Dracula

Reaction score
I like that he basically said he doesn't want to take away from the HoF induction by putting him in the RoH this year. I agree, it's better to wait until at least next year.
I agree. Put Jimmy center stage and let him have both his HOF and then his ROH moments.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I wish he would just swallow his pride and do it. Johnson did an amazing job and deserves credit for that. Jones could turn the other cheek and be an adult here.

Rayman70

Reaction score
BOTH MEN WERE IN THE WRONG. That said, Jerry is wrong as it gets not putting Jimmy in the ROH. Its a bad look.