Twitter: Jerry Jones won't put Jimmy Johnson in Ring of Honor in 2020

Cmac

Reaction score
I like that he basically said he doesn't want to take away from the HoF induction by putting him in the RoH this year. I agree, it's better to wait until at least next year.
….but it should have been done well before the HOF....Jerry should have let this go a long time ago. Karma has been with this team since he fired Jimmy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think it was mutual destruction. Jimmy could have gone down in history as the only coach to win four SB's in a row, just like the owner. Both let their ego's get in the damn way!
I agree, but my point was basically that Jimmy was ready to go soon, regardless of Jerry's actions. He just gave Jerry reason and desire to let him go...and I believe he did so intentionally. He's too intelligent to believe Jerry would allow him to continue to berate him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, but my point was basically that Jimmy was ready to go soon, regardless of Jerry's actions. He just gave Jerry reason and desire to let him go...and I believe he did so intentionally. He's too intelligent to believe Jerry would allow him to continue to berate him.

The FACT is that Jimmy agreed to take the cowboy job on the condition that he ran the football operations and Jerry ran the business. Jimmy was irritated b/c Jerry was a clown and trying to meddle in matters of football. Jerry was doing things like staging the war room telling folks to make him look important. It was a pathetic charade that any self respecting coach would want to flee. ......... he wasn't going to be a puppet.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The FACT is that Jimmy agreed to take the cowboy job on the condition that he ran the football operations and Jerry ran the business. Jimmy was irritated b/c Jerry was a clown and trying to meddle in matters of football. Jerry was doing things like staging the war room telling folks to make him look important. It was a pathetic charade that any self respecting coach would want to flee. ......... he wasn't going to be a puppet.
There's a difference between being a "puppet" and letting your boss have some of the credit for helping to put a team together.

Look at Jimmy's track record of job tenures. He wasn't planning to stay.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's a difference between being a "puppet" and letting your boss have some of the credit for helping to put a team together.

Look at Jimmy's track record of job tenures. He wasn't planning to stay.

And what exactly do you think Jerry did to "put those teams together".............being fresh out of the oil business with no relevant football background?

The point is that all was well until Jerry decided that he wanted to do some of the "fun stuff".

Every one of Jimmy's stops prior to Dallas was a step up the coaching ladder. So, Study those job tenures a little closer.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And what exactly do you think Jerry did to "put those teams together".............being fresh out of the oil business with no relevant football background?
How about supplying every dollar it took to build it?

Jerry and Jimmy were teammates in college, so it's not like he had no relevant football background. He wasn't the football genius Jimmy was, but he had some knowledge...and all the money. Jerry probably wouldn't have gotten to the SB without Jimmy, but Jimmy probably wouldn't have gotten to the NFL without Jerry.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about supplying every dollar it took to build it?

Jerry and Jimmy were teammates in college, so it's not like he had no relevant football background. He wasn't the football genius Jimmy was, but he had some knowledge...and all the money. Jerry probably wouldn't have gotten to the SB without Jimmy, but Jimmy probably wouldn't have gotten to the NFL without Jerry.

Supplying dollars for player salaries is a bare minimum requirement for NFL owners. Jerry wasn't doing anything different than every other NFL owner in regard to providing money to sign players. But as we've seen over the past 25 years, money can't buy success. You need someone competent telling you who to pay.

Jimmy was a national champion college coach, and his Miami teams are legendary in their dominance. You can't say with any degree of certainty that he wouldn't have had another NFL opportunity.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Supplying dollars for player salaries is a bare minimum requirement for NFL owners. Jerry wasn't doing anything different than every other NFL owner in regard to providing money to sign players. But as we've seen over the past 25 years, money can't buy success. You need someone competent telling you who to pay.

Jimmy was a national champion college coach, and his Miami teams are legendary in their dominance. You can't say with any degree of certainty that he wouldn't have had another NFL opportunity.
Nor can you say with any degree of certainty that whoever Jerry hired instead of Jimmy wouldn't have had equal results, considering there was no salary cap, and Jerry was willing to buy the best players available, which he did, and Jimmy reaped the rewards.

They helped each other win, and they helped each other split up.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nor can you say with any degree of certainty that whoever Jerry hired instead of Jimmy wouldn't have had equal results, considering there was no salary cap, and Jerry was willing to buy the best players available, which he did, and Jimmy reaped the rewards.

They helped each other win, and they helped each other split up.

Sure, maybe its just a coincidence that Jimmy won 2 super bowls in 5 seasons and the team he built team won 3 in 4 years.............yet Jerry hasn't even made a super bowl appearence with the 5 coaches he's hired in the last 25 years. ......actually not even a divisional round playoff win in 25 years.

Its kinda absurd arguing against Jimmy's legacy at this point since all counter points have been rendered moot by his HOF selection. It is obvious to most everybody at this point that Jimmy was the architect and football brain behind the 90's dynasty. Jerry's contribution to that dynasty is essentially hiring Jimmy and getting out of the way. Jerry's never been satisfied with that legacy and he's been chasing his own glory ever since and that is what spawned the whole "socks to jocks" era which hasn't really worked out too well.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i

Todd ArcherESPN Staff Writer
It sounds like Jimmy Johnson will be in the Ring of Honor soon, just not 2020. "We have such a big year ahead of us with Jimmy, and his (Hall of Fame) celebration, I want that to be the focus, period," Jerry Jones said. "Everybody says ‘Is that the right order of things?' Well, Coach Landry was in the Hall of Fame before the Ring of Honor. Here we've got the two greatest coaches in history of the Cowboys, so they can go in the same order."

This sounds more reasonable............ . He made Landry wait 3 years after his HOF induction.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sure, maybe its just a coincidence that Jimmy won 2 super bowls in 5 seasons and the team he built team won 3 in 4 years.............yet Jerry hasn't even made a super bowl appearence with the 5 coaches he's hired in the last 25 years. ......actually not even a divisional round playoff win in 25 years.

Its kinda absurd arguing against Jimmy's legacy at this point since all counter points have been rendered moot by his HOF selection. It is obvious to most everybody at this point that Jimmy was the football brain behind the 90's dynasty. Jerry's contribution to that dynasty is essentially hiring Jimmy and getting out of the way. Jerry's never been satisfied with that legacy and he's been chasing his own glory ever since and that is what spawned the whole "socks to jocks" era which hasn't really worked out too well.
I never argued against Jimmy's "legacy". I'm just stating that it's unlikely either would have had the same success without the other, and they're both equally responsible for the demise of that team.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never argued against Jimmy's "legacy". I'm just stating that it's unlikely either would have had the same success without the other, and they're both equally responsible for the demise of that team.

No they are not "equally responsible" for the demise of that team, nor are they equally responsible for the success. You think Kraft is thought of in the same regard as Belechek? Not even close.

If Jerry had not started meddling in football operations and getting involved in personnel decisions, it is likely Jimmy Johnson would have been looking at 4-5 consecutive super bowls. Would he have left eventually? Who knows. They got along real well until Jerry inserted himself in areas where he has no qualification or expertise. The funny part is that he's not any better at team building 25 years later. The man has plenty of talent for making money and none for football.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
He said a few years ago he wouldn’t put him in. There’s wounds Jimmy and Jerry carry from their breakup that still haven’t healed and probably never will. They’re friendly with each other in public but the bitterness is still there. If there wasn’t some bitterness Jerry would have put Jimmy in the ROH a long time ago.
There isn't a Cowboys fan alive that isn't aware of that situation. One thing to keep in mind being that fan, is we all know Jerry has said a lot since 1989, only to change his mind countless times. As he will w/Jimmy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There isn't a Cowboys fan alive that isn't aware of that situation. One thing to keep in mind being that fan, is we all know Jerry has said a lot since 1989, only to change his mind countless times. As he will w/Jimmy.

I don’t think he’ll change his mind with Jimmy. It’s been 27 years since their break up and Jerry has added all the key players that helped the Cowboys win those 3 SB’s in the 90s. I’m sure he believes the situation with Jimmy probably cost the Cowboys more Super Bowls.