Jerry making mistake keeping Garrett

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Let Rod multi task. He’s not an interim HC we’d be interested in keeping. He’s fixing to retire anyway.

Anything is better than keeping a Lame Duck HC.
They are all lame ducks the way I see it. The Cowboys need a near complete purge of the coaching staff. Everything from quality control to position coaches to coordinators to the Head have failed miserably.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Win a Superbowl and all will be forgiven. That’s not looking very possible right now, but it’s not the case that there’s no path to extension.

Plus, he likes Garrett. Theresa big difference in perception between winning the East again and losing in the playoffs and getting fired with no replacement in site with four games left to play.

It’s in everybody’s beet interest to play out the string.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They are all lame ducks the way I see it. The Cowboys need a near complete purge of the coaching staff. Everything from quality control to position coaches to coordinators to the Head have failed miserably.
I agree but in the meantime this team needs a spark that only a HC change can bring. Most of all leaving a Lame Duck in place is a recipe for collapse. Maybe everyone wants it to collapse?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Win a Superbowl and all will be forgiven. That’s not looking very possible right now, but it’s not the case that there’s no path to extension.

Plus, he likes Garrett. Theresa big difference in perception between winning the East again and losing in the playoffs and getting fired with no replacement in site with four games left to play.

It’s in everybody’s beet interest to play out the string.
I’m not sold Garrett wants to stay anymore. Winning a SB would get him offers about anywhere he’d want to go.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Let anyone put the headset on. Jerry can make decisions from the booth if needed.

Leaving a Lame Duck in place is an admittance of defeat. It serves no purpose.

I'm reminded of something Abe Lincoln once said:

When “Bluff Ben Wade,” abolitionist senator from Ohio, demanded Lincoln fire McClellan, the commander-in-chief asked the lawmaker with whom he should replace the foot-dragging “Young Napoleon.” Anybody, roared Wade. “Anybody will do for you, Wade,” the President replied, “but I must have somebody.”

At this point making a change serves no purpose. Let the season play out, and conduct a proper search for a new HC in the offseason.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I agree but in the meantime this team needs a spark that only a HC change can bring. Most of all leaving a Lame Duck in place is a recipe for collapse. Maybe everyone wants it to collapse?
I feel we are post collapse, now it's salvage/recovery/rebuild time.

Sydla

Reaction score
I know Jerry says that he's keeping Garrett because Garrett is the only one that can salvage the season.

But I wonder what happens if they go up to Chicago and lose on Thursday night?

Jerry can't honestly then sit there and say it's Garrett that will pull us out of this mess. If he does, it's clear as day that this is no longer about what's best for the team but rather what's best for Jerry and his best buddy Jason.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
You seriously believe we have someone currently on the staff who is capable of turning this thing around overnight? Who? Why?
Word on the "street" this dude is available and eager to come!!! Gota be better then what is "leading" this team off the cliff edge to date.

StarWiz2

Reaction score
These are all good points, but the jar truly is empty from JG on down. That speaks volumes about the quality of the coaching staff.

JG has been a lame duck coach this entire season. It's contributed to the mess we're seeing right now, because JG has probably been in the trying-to-save-his job mode, and in so doing, the little details that help a team play cohesively go by the way side, especially when the focus is on the big picture, and that picture has nothing to do with football. Also, the other coaches know their gig is up so why put in the effort. It's human nature to try to save your job, so I'm not saying the coaches are deliberately sabotaging the players. It just makes for a toxic, frustrating environment when you know your job is slipping away every game you lose.

Guess who's responsible for that? Mr. Jerry Jones, that's who. JG should never have gotten 9 years. He's been stubborn to change, he's mistake prone, and he's indecisive, attributes you simply can't have in a head coach. Instead of being able to swim with the fishes, Jason sinks like a rock.

How will the rest of the season play out? Depends on the players. They're angry, Zeke says. But at who, or what? Themselves? The coaches? The owners? The worse kind of anger is the one with the coat of many colors. Thus it may remain unresolved until the cause is eliminated, or the season is over.

And the season will probably play out in one of these two ways, (and I'm probably stating the obvious): the Cowboys will muster enough pride to rise above the lack of cohesive, competent coaching in order to win at least two more games, or the Cowboys will flounder like their coaches, and lose the rest of their games.

It remains to be seen. The Bears game should be the gut check.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The greatest insult a HC can receive is being fired in season. He may not extend Garrett but he is not firing him. I believe Booger and the rest of the club see the difference in firing and not extending.

This is the same HC that brought them back from 3-5 to 11-7 last season and Booger will give him every chance to do the same now, especially with PHL nose diving.

I've been in that "Garrett's going nowhere" camp from the beginning and am starting to think just the opposite and I do not think the decision was all Booger's. I think Garrett's had enough. They used to say there's no tougher job as a HC than coaching any team in NY but I think the Cowboys have gone beyond either NY team and any man can handle living in a media acquarium for just so long.

Both NY teams are terrible and Garrett gets more space than both of them combined. Gruden gets fired and Garrett gets more coverage.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
We all are aware of just who the hell is responsible for all the dysfunction on this team. It's JJ, he meddles, he talks to damn much to the media, name another owner who runs to the microphones after getting his butt handed to him game after game...I'll wait. Yea Garrett IMHO should NEVER been given the reins to this team, I still believe HE ambushed ole junebug for that sole purpose. But, in that same thought, I have no doubt JJ plotted it with his string puppet so as to validate firing him 7 games in. He did it then, why not now? Just incase any of you have missed it, puppet boy has lost this team... weeks ago. I say fire his butt, send a message and move on. Even IF we get pushed into the playoffs, who the hell wants to add that misery to the end of a season the likes of this one.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Agree but for a different reason. This season isn't lost. We have the pieces to beat good teams. Maybe the team would look better with a new leader and better in-game decisions. By keeping JG, Jerry is basically giving up on the season.
What was our record after Wade was fired, we actually got better that season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jason is a Lame Duck HC now. He’s gone regardless how we finish. Everyone knows it. I don’t believe he’d want to stay or be welcome if we made it to the Super Bowl.

We still have a chance to finish strong and possibly make some noise in the playoffs.

Jerry is making this decision because it’s easier on him to leave Garrett in place because he doesn't really want another HC but the atmosphere is too toxic now for success with Garrett.

We might still back-in to the playoffs cause Egirls are even a bigger mess than we are. But with current environment it’s not conducive for success here.

After Thursday night it’s still not too late. We’ll have 10 days to adjust and hopefully provide a spark or we’ll otherwise possibly lose out. Which again will make the decision easier on Jerry.

Jerry, have some balls and do us all and Jason a favor. Once you know someone’s time is up it serves no one to leave him in place.

Absolutely not.

The reason..

I do not want to go forward with anyone in house.

I want someone outside of the organization who is a top tier coach at the College or Pro level to come in and give an outsiders perspective of what has been going on.

I don't want someone who is already there and is another guy that gets the job because Jerry feels comfortable with him..

Dallas has a young team and they need to capitalize right now with a real coach and put ego's aside and get this team a title.

Stop wasting top tier rosters with coaches that play a 50/50 brand of football and lose because all things aren't perfect.

I do not care about this season. Garrett won't stand a chance in the post season when coaching really stands out the most. We'll do what we do and hope that everything is perfect and we just out talent everyone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

The reason..

I do not want to go forward with anyone in house.

I want someone outside of the organization who is a top tier coach at the College or Pro level to come in and give an outsiders perspective of what has been going on.

I don't want someone who is already there and is another guy that gets the job because Jerry feels comfortable with him..

Dallas has a young team and they need to capitalize right now with a real coach and put ego's aside and get this team a title.

Stop wasting top tier rosters with coaches that play a 50/50 brand of football and lose because all things aren't perfect.

I do not care about this season. Garrett won't stand a chance in the post season when coaching really stands out the most. We'll do what we do and hope that everything is perfect and we just out talent everyone.
Then you aren’t for what’s best for Cowboys Football the rest of this season.

Let Marinelli multi task. He’s fixing to retire anyway. But leaving a Lame Duck in place is most dysfunctional.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Removing Jason changes nothing on either side of the ball as he doesn't control a single play call. But you need to note the number of free agents we will have at years end and realize most of them will be gone regardless if jason gets extended. With that logic they already know their coach will be different next year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Jason is a Lame Duck HC now. He’s gone regardless how we finish. Everyone knows it. I don’t believe he’d want to stay or be welcome if we made it to the Super Bowl.

We still have a chance to finish strong and possibly make some noise in the playoffs.

Jerry is making this decision because it’s easier on him to leave Garrett in place because he doesn't really want another HC but the atmosphere is too toxic now for success with Garrett.

We might still back-in to the playoffs cause Egirls are even a bigger mess than we are. But with current environment it’s not conducive for success here.

After Thursday night it’s still not too late. We’ll have 10 days to adjust and hopefully provide a spark or we’ll otherwise possibly lose out. Which again will make the decision easier on Jerry.

Jerry, have some balls and do us all and Jason a favor. Once you know someone’s time is up it serves no one to leave him in place.
I think JJ knows it. Tell me why he left the locker room in tears. He knows what he has to do. But he also don’t want to disrupt a possible correction. This team I swear in the last few years always waits till the last second and does just enough to get to the playoffs. Thinking they can turn on anytime. If JJ fires him now it could cause the players to figure the season is over and the FO gave up. But I get your side of it. And if the players have given up on the HC then it could help by putting someone with fire in the interim. Maybe Richard yelling and screaming.

I have heard that the team is practicing angry and looking to turn it around. We will see.

conner01

Reaction score
I prefer they keep Garrett until the end of the season and then start the new year with a fresh slate and no interference from an interim appointment. I want a new HC to come in and be given complete control over who stays and goes from the existing the coaching staff.
To me that’s the best option
A new HC who can bring in the staff he wants, the scheme he wants on both sides of the ball
We are likely to make the playoffs by default and be bounced in first rnd. And that doesn’t change by changing the HC now

endersdragon

Reaction score
Let Rod multi task. He’s not an interim HC we’d be interested in keeping. He’s fixing to retire anyway.

Anything is better than keeping a Lame Duck HC.
How would Rod not be a lame duck in that scenario? He is gone no matter what right?