Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If Jerry wants this offense to be Dak friendly he better try to get Martin in camp. The team needs him more than he needs us.

John813

Reaction score
You really can’t convert next years base salary to a bonus. It’s the last year of his contract and would only have dummy years left to spread the pro rated cap hits out.

He either plays next year at a 23 million cap hit, signs an extension or they cut him.

IMO, the team could if they still wanted to re-sign him to another deal but needed to free up cap.

Restructutre in March, then get a deal done at some point. However, leverage swings towards Martin's camp due to the additional dead cap that would accelerate in 2025

Rayman70

Reaction score
The rest of the league salutes Jerry. Stick to your guns.
Agree. I said it before, once a business owner allows just 1 employee to be the tail that wags the dog, your done. Its Katy bar the door at that moment. It will be a tsunami of issues. I think Jerry learned his lesson after Zeke. Maybe that's unfair to Zack but then again, he and his agent created this drama. Jerry probably needs to be quiet publicly.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If Jerry wants this offense to be Dak friendly he better try to get Martin in camp. The team needs him more than he needs us.
it takes 2. Martin has the burden on him. He signed a deal, Jerry has 0 incentive to be begging a player to come to work.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I have.

Jerry’s stance makes no sense. And as I said the fact he’s lying and mounting a PR campaign here should tell you all you need to know.
Jerrys stance makes great sense. He is the business owner and he pays his employees. Zack agreed to be here for an agreed dollar amount. He isn't here at work. Said employee doesn't get to become the business owner, even if they are great at their job. Zacks stance is ill timed and can wait a year. Jerry isn't my favorite cup of tea by any stretch, but he is right this time. This really simple. Not sure why this is even a thing. Zack changing his mind with 2 years left on his deal isn't Jerrys fault. Jerry didn't create this. Zack and his agent did. So why is it Jerrys problem to fix when he didn't create it? In fact, Jerry honored Zack in 2018 when he made him the richest guard ever with his new deal.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
it takes 2. Martin has the burden on him. He signed a deal, Jerry has 0 incentive to be begging a player to come to work.
He should have incentive if he wants to win. Martin's a millionaire...probably a HOFer. He could just retire. Good luck trying to win with a mediocre OL especially when Tyron gets injured again and he will..

Loso86

Reaction score
The budget already accounts for 30MM+ in cap hits for Martin.

So again all this talk about how we have to hold firm on Martin or we can’t afford the other guys is total BS.
So then we should add to that?

Loso86

Reaction score
Says anyone who understands the cap.

Again, people are acting like signing Martin somehow makes our cap explode. Do people realize he’s already on the books next year at a massive cap hit and there are dummy years after next year?

Jerry is mounting a PR campaign to make Martin look like the bad guy here when he says he can’t pay Martin because of the other guys.
I'm not saying he can't pay him smart guy, I'm saying uts bad timing and should not be first on the list

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I get Martin asking, and honestly will not be suprised when they restructure, I dont think Zack will get a crazy restructure though and he shouldn't because basically he is trying to doubledip.
They just restructured his contract a few months ago, I'm sure some up front money came with that. I'm sure that's why Jerry is taking the stance he is taking....

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
They just restructured his contract a few months ago, I'm sure some up front money came with that. I'm sure that's why Jerry is taking the stance he is taking....

They basically rolled his cap hits. ZM got this year's salary guaranteed up front, which is a small win for him, and the Cowboys got to spread his cap hits over some dummy years.

His problem is that he's not guaranteed for next year, so he's kind of in a lame duck situation. And even if the Cowboys do the guarantee-and-roll trick again (they are likely to), his base salary is pretty low.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He should have incentive if he wants to win. Martin's a millionaire...probably a HOFer. He could just retire. Good luck trying to win with a mediocre OL especially when Tyron gets injured again and he will..
Jerry did sign him. What more can he do?

Rayman70

Reaction score
we don't need an all star oline. Decent? YES.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
we don't need an all star oline. Decent? YES.
We'll see. I don't know if it will be decent if he doesn't play...probably more mediocre. Don't think much about our RBs outside of Pollard either. I can see this offense falling apart. Hope I'm wrong because I do think the defense is a SB caliber defense. Won't know much until the games actually start though.

manster4ever

Reaction score
I would have no problem restructuring his contract and extending him a year or so. Make his pay a signing bonus. Don’t play games with the best RG in the game. If he aint the best he is right there with them and will be for a while. And he has been a good leader. Don’t piss him off but I understand JJ taking a stance. But I would do it to his face and not in an interview. Keep this stuff behind closed doors.
You are spot ON glimmerman but that's no how Jerrah rolls, he has always had diarrhea of the mouth in front of the media and it's gotten worse with age.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Jerrys stance makes great sense. He is the business owner and he pays his employees. Zack agreed to be here for an agreed dollar amount. He isn't here at work. Said employee doesn't get to become the business owner, even if they are great at their job. Zacks stance is ill timed and can wait a year. Jerry isn't my favorite cup of tea by any stretch, but he is right this time. This really simple. Not sure why this is even a thing. Zack changing his mind with 2 years left on his deal isn't Jerrys fault. Jerry didn't create this. Zack and his agent did. So why is it Jerrys problem to fix when he didn't create it? In fact, Jerry honored Zack in 2018 when he made him the richest guard ever with his new deal.
It's a business and Zack knows Dallas has nothing close on the roster to replace him so Zack made a smart business move. He knows if Jerry doesn't want to pay him other teams will. His loyalty isn't to the Cowboy or the fans. It's purely a business decision where he thinks he has the upper hand, so he's going to exploit that. That's just business bro and sometimes it hurts the team or the fans but that's the least of Zacks worries

Rayman70

Reaction score
It's a business and Zack knows Dallas has nothing close on the roster to replace him so Zack made a smart business move. He knows if Jerry doesn't want to pay him other teams will. His loyalty isn't to the Cowboy or the fans. It's purely a business decision where he thinks he has the upper hand, so he's going to exploit that. That's just business bro and sometimes it hurts the team or the fans but that's the least of Zacks worries
Im 52 and understand business 101. But Zack better be thinking about his age as well. This game will humble everyone at some point. Even the great Zack Martin. It doesn't really bother me either way, I'm neutral on whatever they do. I'm just stating just when a player/employee thinks they are irreplaceable, their ego grows bigger than their pocketbook, that's usually when they crash back down to earth. Its called eating humble pie. It will happen to him. Jerry isn't budging. My guess is Zack will be here week 1, reluctantly. In the end, Zack will do what's right.

mcmvp

Reaction score
This is so true… this thread could really end right here. Anybody that thinks Martin is replaceable for this particular season is completely out of touch with their team

Rayman70

Reaction score
We'll see. I don't know if it will be decent if he doesn't play...probably more mediocre. Don't think much about our RBs outside of Pollard either. I can see this offense falling apart. Hope I'm wrong because I do think the defense is a SB caliber defense. Won't know much until the games actually start though.
Who really knows. But I'm fairly optimistic we can survive a couple games without a starting guard. Farniok will have his shot to show us.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is so true… the thread could really end right here. Anybody that thinks Martin is replaceable for this particular season is completely out of touch with their team
We are in so much trouble offensively if we are soley dependent upon a RG to win. I aint buying it. Im out of touch then. This statement^^ is in left field.