Jerry on Derrick Henry: I dont know if he'd be having a career year for us

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Granted I know this isnt Jerry being honest, but the answer itself shows a low football IQ, or at least shows he thinks fans have a low football IQ. Henry doesn't have to have a career year to justify bringing him in. Derrick Henry changes the way teams have to play defense. Derrick Henry makes it so teams respect the run game. Derrick Henry opens up passing lanes, and even if he doesn't have 800 yards at this point he helps keep you ahead of the chains and in 3rd and short situations. Having a Derrick Henry on the field with a Ceedee Lamb stresses a defense. Add a solid underneath guy in Jake Ferguson and now you have something. You need multiple skill position guys on the field who can put pressure on the defense. Jerry needed to go get another RB or WR to make that a reality....instead he believes paying guys more money should magically make them better players.

CWR

Reaction score
Well Risen there are many posters on this forum that insist signing Henry would be a waste and he wouldn't have added value here. Maybe Jerry has a bunch of ghost accounts.
Like everything else on this board many posters need to simplify our problems. For some reason it has to be all about the line.

In actuality it's scheme, line, rb. Every aspect of our run game needs improving. Henry would absolutely make a difference.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry is right about one thing, Henry wouldnt be having that kind of year with our offensive line....He's admitting our Oline is not good...and of course he drafted the players on our oline....He needs to go...
yeah right, Jerry thinks everything that he does is the greatest thing ever, he'd never say his team isn't good/players aren't good

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Granted I know this isnt Jerry being honest, but the answer itself shows a low football IQ, or at least shows he thinks fans have a low football IQ. Henry doesn't have to have a career year to justify bringing him in. Derrick Henry changes the way teams have to play defense. Derrick Henry makes it so teams respect the run game. Derrick Henry opens up passing lanes, and even if he doesn't have 800 yards at this point he helps keep you ahead of the chains and in 3rd and short situations. Having a Derrick Henry on the field with a Ceedee Lamb stresses a defense. Add a solid underneath guy in Jake Ferguson and now you have something. You need multiple skill position guys on the field who can put pressure on the defense. Jerry needed to go get another RB or WR to make that a reality....instead he believes paying guys more money should magically make them better players.
no they're just high paid players that are used to being here after getting a new deal, they're used to the lifestyle of being a Cowboys fan, football is second here

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Exactly.......no way hell, anyone can say he wouldn't help this offense. Now is possible Jerry is saying he wouldn't help enough to justify his contract coz we wouldn't give as many carries ........coz of Dak needs to earn his $60M.
The justify the contract excuse is a horrible one when Jerry has zero issues giving up draft picks and $5M+ this year for a QB who wont even be active on game day. Derrick Henry is actually costing Baltimore less against the cap this year than Trey Lance is.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Jerry doesn't know that Henry would be having the same year?

Reminds me of that time a girl invited me up to her apartment to bake cookies... at 2:30am.

And I was like "Nah, I already ate".

I, too, still don't know that she wasn't talking about cookies. But I'm still kicking myself over the fumbled opportunity.

slick325

Reaction score
The best coaches can adjust their scheme to fit what players do best or like the most. I'm certain Dallas would have implemented more "I Formation" and sweeps in order to accommodate Derrick Henry.

Not buying that he wouldn't fit.

On another note, if Zimmer doesn't play to his All-Pro CBs strengths once Bland is back (man to man coverage) it'll be the death of me! Your scheme should adjust to the strengths of your players.

Legend

Reaction score
I think what Jerry is trying to say is… since the Cowboys did not upgrade their trenches (on offense and defense)… it did not make sense to sign Henry

Henry is in a better place with a contender.

So it worked out for him.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yawn.....Jerry chumming the waters and people taking the bait.... hook, line and sinker. Keeps him relevant and raises his ratings. Might be a horrible GM, but he's a PR genius. He probably even had a ring made. PR Championship ring

Bagman

Reaction score
What an idiot. So let me get this straight. We didn't sign the best RB in the league because he wouldn't be the best RB in the league on OUR team. Oh ok.
Thank goodness we didn't waste our money on a guy like Mahomes. He'd never flourish in our complicated system. Gotch Jerry

John813

Reaction score

Dude is a tank. You know many DB's make business and quality of life decisions when he's coming at them head on.

starfan1

Reaction score
#1 issue with this team is this dude. henry should have been the pick in 16 and jerry could have helped this team but yet he stands behind the salary cap garbage.

Proof

Reaction score
Derrick Henry is an all-time great at the position. Would be our best back since the goat.

To say he couldnt thrive is dumb as hell, even for Jerry
saying "he wouldn't have been as good here" is an infuriating response. how he can say that w/out then re-evaluating what they're doing is practically unforgiveable. just a sickening state of affairs. and as he's becoming even worse, he's coupling it with becoming more defiant. we're hosed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Its as if he is admitting he screwed up the OL in the offseason replacing veterans with rookies not ready for prime time.
Good point, hes either admitting they knew the OL wasnt going to be very good coming into the season or he has an offensive staff that can't adjust to use players for their best traits.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I wanted to sign Henry but I do not think he would be doing here like he is in Baltimore. Different scheme, Baltimore sticks to the run and defenses also worry about Jackson. But the JJ and son definitely should have tried to sign Henry.