Jerry on how to get the run game going

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I actually believe Jerry is right.
If your OL and run game is your strength, then you lean into it and run to set up the pass.
But that’s not this year’s team. When your passing game is your strength, come out passing, roll down the field and score. This version of the Cowboys needs to pass to set up the run game.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The run game has been awful. I don't know if its the play design or the blocking scheme but its really noticeable just how much worse the same players are this year versus last year.

I'll give MM credit for saving the passing game recently and getting the ball downfield. Schottenheimer and Solaris were brought to Dallas to implement a "power" run game and they have failed miserably.

Is it me or does Dallas have virtually no running plays? They have that dive out of the shotgun and also a ridiculously slow developing run from under center where some linemen pull. The only play I see regularly working is the pitchout out of the gun. Last game they ran a lead draw from under center and it worked great. It was the first time I had seen that play this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why do you listen to this Dumbo GM? Cowboys threw the ball from 1989 until 11-18-1990 with the same results you have now. Then Jimmy Johnson got rid of the OC and ran the game plan through the running game of Emmitt Smith. I was at that Rams game in Anahiem. The Cowboys then went on a 4 game winning streak running the ball, passing to score, and resting the defense to attack fresh. 3 Super Bowls latter the rest is Dallas Cowboys HISTORY not Jerry Dumbo GM Jones Arlington Jonesboys STORY.

No running game is established with the pass. You pass to score and run to win. Defense wins championships. As long as there is football, that will never change.
It actually becomes more and more obvious.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Correction: It all starts with the Oline.

If you don't have a good Oline that can run and pass block we'll, along with have good backups, it won't matter who you have a QB, RB, FB, TE and WR.
The OL for 1990 was nearly the same OL from 1989. The only addition was Gesek. My point is mostly every NFL OL can run block. So, It starts with a mind set and a plan to use the running game and the runners. Jimmy got Shula's boy, David, out of the way of using and maximizing Emmitt Smith, and the rest is 3 Super Bowls in 4 years.Remember the only reason he took David Shula as OC was to get Wannesdat from the Dolphins.

I don't totally disagree with you because the rebuilding of the Cowboys OL had begun under Landry committing to bigger stronger OL with the drafting of Kevin Gogan, Crawford Ker, Jeff Zimmerman, signing Nate Newton, and converting Mark Tuinei from DT to OT.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The RB position is probably the one that Jerry understands the least.

I should have just listed my reasons in a file somewhere in my computer so I can just copy it. I don't have the energy or time right now to write a dozen paragraphs.

Suffice it to say, if you look at the history of the position since Jerry became owner, you will see Emmitt's holdout, Barbers promotion to franchise back, the free agency departure of Murray, and the contract of Zeke.

Do Jerry's actions indicate that he knows what he is talking about?
His first training in the NFL was with a west coast team in San Francisco...he understands different ways to spread the field or conduct a running offense. He's nobody's fool, not even for the fools around here.

McCarthy won a Super Bowl with the same knowledge behind this team here and now. It's growing as is the offense and offensive line.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Love it when Coach Jones shares his football knowledge with us minions....
:muttley:
I'm curious what one's salary coaching was last season...they still coming around to find you? Better get with the liquor store guy and get it sorted then.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
What a moron
Is he? What he's saying is if you load up to stop the run you throw it over the top to keep them honest. They back off and you can run more. The problem is MM offense is the same one that got him fired in GB. You get cooks for that purpose but don't run those rules with him.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right Jerry.
Until we play a handful of teams who don't "give us" anything.
Then we're watching the championship and Super Bowl again on TV.

plasticman

Reaction score
His first training in the NFL was with a west coast team in San Francisco...he understands different ways to spread the field or conduct a running offense. He's nobody's fool, not even for the fools around here.

McCarthy won a Super Bowl with the same knowledge behind this team here and now. It's growing as is the offense and offensive line.
Who trained Jerry Jones in the NFL? What is a good example that he understands ways to spread the field or conduct a running offense?

I certainly wouldn't call Jerry a fool, generally speaking.

In what ways has this offense grown from being #1 in both points and yardage in 2021?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Basically Jerry is telling you that the coaches are telling him that defenses are daring us to throw.
Or he's stupid enough not to realize that the Eagles weakness is their Secondary. MM feeding Jerry false information in a hope that someone's listening to him.