Jerry on how to get the run game going

cowboyed

Reaction score
Coach Jerry has spoken
Jerry was asked and rendered his opinion that he is entitled to. As long as he doesn't go to the sidelines, don a head set and manage the game I could care less what he says. He is just a figurehead GM anyway.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The RB position is probably the one that Jerry understands the least.

I should have just listed my reasons in a file somewhere in my computer so I can just copy it. I don't have the energy or time right now to write a dozen paragraphs.

Suffice it to say, if you look at the history of the position since Jerry became owner, you will see Emmitt's holdout, Barbers promotion to franchise back, the free agency departure of Murray, and the contract of Zeke.

Do Jerry's actions indicate that he knows what he is talking about?
Right. How many times has our front office bundled managing our RB situation.

CowboysFilmStudy

Reaction score
Part two of the answer should have been, "and...ahh...ahh...we probably should have considered drafting or trading for ahh...ahh...another back that is better built to ahh...ahh...carry the ahh...load and that way we could ahh...ahh...keep Tony as the ahh....ahh...complimentary back that he is."
Spot on. All I could hear was Jerry in my head when I read that lol

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The run game has been awful. I don't know if its the play design or the blocking scheme but its really noticeable just how much worse the same players are this year versus last year.

I'll give MM credit for saving the passing game recently and getting the ball downfield. Schottenheimer and Solaris were brought to Dallas to implement a "power" run game and they have failed miserably.

Is it me or does Dallas have virtually no running plays? They have that dive out of the shotgun and also a ridiculously slow developing run from under center where some linemen pull. The only play I see regularly working is the pitchout out of the gun. Last game they ran a lead draw from under center and it worked great. It was the first time I had seen that play this year.
Everything has been a huge step back from where we were with KMoore.

Imho, what’s it worth to have your offense working?

Obviously Big Mike was butt hurt over KMoore calling the shots.

So much ego.

But Big Mike wears the Ring. And that goes a long way in the NFL.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Who trained Jerry Jones in the NFL? What is a good example that he understands ways to spread the field or conduct a running offense?

I certainly wouldn't call Jerry a fool, generally speaking.

In what ways has this offense grown from being #1 in both points and yardage in 2021?
You already know the answers to who...Jerry Jones studied with San Francisco, in house for weeks with their owner to learn industry as well as their example of franchise on concepts and schemes as well. He then studied with the Raiders and retained AFC/NFC imputs and leadership concepts from there on. I'd say being included with all discussion in house with Jimmy Johnson was very impactful as to running the ball as well. Then there was the four years with Bill Parcells. But even more recently, I'd say that Mike McCarthy was pretty impactful on West Coast concepts and Jerry was fully involved, as GM, on those concepts and designs as well. I person would have to be just biased not to conclude that as a minimum, Jerry is fully knowledgeable after all this time, as well as able to follow progressions as well as identify change elements, both as they occur as well as disjointed and also observing as an owner-disjointed from just judging on a play by play and seasonal progression basis. No, he is no where a fool in either of his roles. He has led to the current status.

He has delved into and nailed one of the very best talent evaluation element in the NFL. Who outside of Jerry is responsible for this very fact? That was done with Jerry as the GM.

Jerry, who he tried to give a professional level of loyalty to, but decided that he had to move on from Jason Garrett. When he did that, he wasn't blind as he never does a move that he hasn't researched for a few years...unless it involves a player. Here he goes for talent, controversial, but he makes a lot comotion in the media. Interest is high and is after all is sounded, elevating and allows comparison to many positive elements in football as well. That part is elevating for the players as well. They are a class organizational element and even when traveling, the Dallas Cowboys are noted and players given privilege.

Now, Jerry the GM, did the work to bring in Mike McCarthy. He was kind of a behind the scenes selection, but earned Jerry's respect because Jerry himself understood the strength of the man as the head coach. Jerry had fully functional knowledge of schemes and player development through the tons of interviews he had conducted over a very long period of time.

First off, he had watched Green Bay and was part of the evaluation element when McCarthy came up with Green Bay. Jerry already was well schooled on how he did his job as well as his coaching and leadership abilities. He followed and understood just how that team rose and Mike McCarthy got the job done.

Year two for McCarthy, he led the Packers to the Playoffs. Then year 5, and with 6 starters out, and the #6 seed in the NFC, led his team to a Lombardi losing 2 of his starters out in that very game. He led his team and on concepts.

Hiring McCarthy wasn't the first intensive study by Jerry the GM, upon Mike McCarthy. The Dallas Cowboys had lost to his team and Tom Brady a couple of times more recently as well...in the Playoffs.

Now, under McCarthy, the team has added quite a few very good, or at least strong players to the roster. It has grown, under his leadership, to a quality, talented team. Don't agree with this, again, one is just being biased.

First off, he possesses two real diamonds on his roster who could make it on any team in the NFL...Parsons and Lamb. That is on both sides of the ball and can't be argued about, period.

But over the past two seasons, the Cowboys have proven they are fully able to run and pass the ball at a very strong level. Running the ball has been respectable and productive at a strong level. The scheme was respectable and through the leadership of McCarthy. San Diego is proving right now, that Moore wasn't a walk on water leader some fans were trying to complain about Jerry with. That is now established now as well. They had a respectable team to start with. They also have dropped this season.

McCarthy bases his current offense on the very principals he took to a Super Bowl in Green Bay. He spreads the field and creates space. He takes advantage with a strong runner. That he has here with the Cowboys with Lamb and Pollard. The meat and potatoes of moving the ball downfield, is and was dependent upon strengths of a play design that pitched a stronger level player at his #3 and #4 play receiver against a weaker #3 and #4 level defender. With the most recent pickup, he has added a receiver that in the Red Zone, is quick and also can elevate giving the Red Zone Cowboys even more of an advantage.

Now the Cardinals game pitched an offensive line together for the very first time of a unit had been together in more than a year and a half. A problem to work out? You bet it was. But it as a group, still needing some time together, is presenting stronger than in the near past. I would put the Smith's left side against the stability of any team.

One can see what not having a dominant wide receiver and their lead dog running back does to even a team like San Francisco. It brought the function of their QB and team achievement to the ground. It has just lost 3 straight games.

Now to your quest for stat tracking to validate, before the season plays out...and a question mark unless one listens to reasoning as validation:

2021-

regular season

Dak Prescott​

4,449 total yards passing
68.8 % completion
10 interceptions

Zeke Elliott
1,002 yards rushing

CD Lamb
1,102 receiving yards
3rd in NFL in scoring

regular season

Prescott (with injury)
66.2 %
15 interceptions

Pollard
1007 yards rushing

Lamb
1,350 receiving yards

2023 (to date)

Prescott
68.6%

The other comparisons are incomplete but this fan keeps the faith and I'm not going to contribute further upon what will instead be insult material, and no carrying of any good faith.

Playoff games against San Francisco -

Dallas

Passing Yards
D. Prescott
DAL

D. Prescott

23-37, 206 YDS, 1 TD, 2 INT
B. Purdy
SF

B. Purdy

19-29, 214 YDS

Rushing Yards
E. Elliott
DAL

E. Elliott

10 CAR, 26 YDS
E. Mitchell
SF

E. Mitchell

14 CAR, 51 YDS

Receiving Yards
C. Lamb
DAL

C. Lamb

10 REC, 117 YDS
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3040151/george-kittle
G. Kittle
SF

G. Kittle

5 REC, 95 YDS

Dallas 12 - San Francisco 19 (7 point difference)

J. Garoppolo
SF

J. Garoppolo

16-25, 172 YDS, 1 INT
D. Prescott
DAL

D. Prescott

23-43, 254 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing Yards
E. Mitchell
SF

E. Mitchell

27 CAR, 96 YDS, 1 TD
E. Elliott
DAL

E. Elliott

12 CAR, 31 YDS
Receiving Yards
B. Aiyuk
SF

B. Aiyuk

5 REC, 66 YDS
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3117256/dalton-schultz
D. Schultz
DAL

D. Schultz

89 yards

Dallas 17 - San Francisco 23 (6 point difference)

An analysis:

The Arizona game found the Dallas on the level of a beginning training camp level of cohesion and execution. A fluke as it occurred then.

The San Francisco loss, the team rhythms were in array and momentum was not overcome, but this team has settled back recently. The Cowboys are in growth again and have a strength of the team over the previous 2 seasons and strongly improving right now.

The Eagles game saw Dallas in the middle of the action. The Cowboys could have won it on any of 3 specific plays.

At present, the Cowboys are tied for 3rd in the NFC, which should starting this week, start improving from that point. Whether one is rooting for a negative or not!

At the very least, the team deserves consideration and are growing at the same time...

kskboys

Reaction score

I should have just listed my reasons in a file somewhere in my computer so I can just copy it. I don't have the energy or time right now to write a dozen paragraphs.

Suffice it to say, if you look at the history of the position since Jerry became owner, you will see Emmitt's holdout, Barbers promotion to franchise back, the free agency departure of Murray, and the contract of Zeke.

Disagree.

I give it 2nd place behind DT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why aren't they asking McCarthy? Jerry should be seen but not heard as a GM and owner.
  1. Sensationalism. Practically no one--owner, coach or player--in the entire NFL covets creating 'news' for attention seeking purposes than Jerry Jones. That is content that generates clicks and revenue, both which modern journalism craves for profit and relevance within a highly competitive media market.
  2. It is what Jones desires. He maintains unwritten command of public commentary above the players' level about his team. Coaches and others can talk but they cannot talk for him. The only individual, who has been the continuous exception during the past three decades, has been his first born son.

CCBoy

Reaction score
  1. Sensationalism. Practically no one--owner, coach or player--in the entire NFL covets creating 'news' for attention seeking purposes than Jerry Jones. That is content that generates clicks and revenue, both which modern journalism craves for profit and relevance within a highly competitive media market.
  2. It is what Jones desires. He maintains unwritten command of public commentary above the players' level about his team. Coaches and others can talk but they cannot talk for him. The only individual, who has been the continuous exception during the past three decades, has been his first born son.
Does that elevate the complete environment for his players and go into their pockets as well?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does that elevate the complete environment for his players and go into their pockets as well?
HDadJAu.gif

Loso86

Reaction score

Clearly the fans don't understand it either because 20 isn't it

offlimits

Reaction score
Laugh at Jerry all you like but how many here have won the NCAA national championship and were a co-captain on his team? Far from a Jones apologist but he knows a little something about football.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
You were to cheap to go get Henry while the 49ers and Eagles strengthened their team. Jerry doesn’t care he only wants to keep the Cowboys relevant during the regular season.

offlimits

Reaction score
You already know the answers to who...Jerry Jones studied with San Francisco, in house for weeks with their owner to learn industry as well as their example of franchise on concepts and schemes as well. He then studied with the Raiders and retained AFC/NFC imputs and leadership concepts from there on. I'd say being included with all discussion in house with Jimmy Johnson was very impactful as to running the ball as well. Then there was the four years with Bill Parcells. But even more recently, I'd say that Mike McCarthy was pretty impactful on West Coast concepts and Jerry was fully involved, as GM, on those concepts and designs as well. I person would have to be just biased not to conclude that as a minimum, Jerry is fully knowledgeable after all this time, as well as able to follow progressions as well as identify change elements, both as they occur as well as disjointed and also observing as an owner-disjointed from just judging on a play by play and seasonal progression basis. No, he is no where a fool in either of his roles. He has led to the current status.

He has delved into and nailed one of the very best talent evaluation element in the NFL. Who outside of Jerry is responsible for this very fact? That was done with Jerry as the GM.

Jerry, who he tried to give a professional level of loyalty to, but decided that he had to move on from Jason Garrett. When he did that, he wasn't blind as he never does a move that he hasn't researched for a few years...unless it involves a player. Here he goes for talent, controversial, but he makes a lot comotion in the media. Interest is high and is after all is sounded, elevating and allows comparison to many positive elements in football as well. That part is elevating for the players as well. They are a class organizational element and even when traveling, the Dallas Cowboys are noted and players given privilege.

Now, Jerry the GM, did the work to bring in Mike McCarthy. He was kind of a behind the scenes selection, but earned Jerry's respect because Jerry himself understood the strength of the man as the head coach. Jerry had fully functional knowledge of schemes and player development through the tons of interviews he had conducted over a very long period of time.

First off, he had watched Green Bay and was part of the evaluation element when McCarthy came up with Green Bay. Jerry already was well schooled on how he did his job as well as his coaching and leadership abilities. He followed and understood just how that team rose and Mike McCarthy got the job done.

Year two for McCarthy, he led the Packers to the Playoffs. Then year 5, and with 6 starters out, and the #6 seed in the NFC, led his team to a Lombardi losing 2 of his starters out in that very game. He led his team and on concepts.

Hiring McCarthy wasn't the first intensive study by Jerry the GM, upon Mike McCarthy. The Dallas Cowboys had lost to his team and Tom Brady a couple of times more recently as well...in the Playoffs.

Now, under McCarthy, the team has added quite a few very good, or at least strong players to the roster. It has grown, under his leadership, to a quality, talented team. Don't agree with this, again, one is just being biased.

First off, he possesses two real diamonds on his roster who could make it on any team in the NFL...Parsons and Lamb. That is on both sides of the ball and can't be argued about, period.

But over the past two seasons, the Cowboys have proven they are fully able to run and pass the ball at a very strong level. Running the ball has been respectable and productive at a strong level. The scheme was respectable and through the leadership of McCarthy. San Diego is proving right now, that Moore wasn't a walk on water leader some fans were trying to complain about Jerry with. That is now established now as well. They had a respectable team to start with. They also have dropped this season.

McCarthy bases his current offense on the very principals he took to a Super Bowl in Green Bay. He spreads the field and creates space. He takes advantage with a strong runner. That he has here with the Cowboys with Lamb and Pollard. The meat and potatoes of moving the ball downfield, is and was dependent upon strengths of a play design that pitched a stronger level player at his #3 and #4 play receiver against a weaker #3 and #4 level defender. With the most recent pickup, he has added a receiver that in the Red Zone, is quick and also can elevate giving the Red Zone Cowboys even more of an advantage.

Now the Cardinals game pitched an offensive line together for the very first time of a unit had been together in more than a year and a half. A problem to work out? You bet it was. But it as a group, still needing some time together, is presenting stronger than in the near past. I would put the Smith's left side against the stability of any team.

One can see what not having a dominant wide receiver and their lead dog running back does to even a team like San Francisco. It brought the function of their QB and team achievement to the ground. It has just lost 3 straight games.

Now to your quest for stat tracking to validate, before the season plays out...and a question mark unless one listens to reasoning as validation:

2021-

regular season

Dak Prescott​

4,449 total yards passing
68.8 % completion
10 interceptions

Zeke Elliott
1,002 yards rushing

CD Lamb
1,102 receiving yards
3rd in NFL in scoring

regular season

Prescott (with injury)
66.2 %
15 interceptions

Pollard
1007 yards rushing

Lamb
1,350 receiving yards

2023 (to date)

Prescott
68.6%

The other comparisons are incomplete but this fan keeps the faith and I'm not going to contribute further upon what will instead be insult material, and no carrying of any good faith.

Playoff games against San Francisco -

Dallas

Passing Yards
D. Prescott
DAL

D. Prescott

23-37, 206 YDS, 1 TD, 2 INT
B. Purdy
SF

B. Purdy

19-29, 214 YDS

Rushing Yards
E. Elliott
DAL

E. Elliott

10 CAR, 26 YDS
E. Mitchell
SF

E. Mitchell

14 CAR, 51 YDS

Receiving Yards
C. Lamb
DAL

C. Lamb

10 REC, 117 YDS
G. Kittle
SF

G. Kittle

5 REC, 95 YDS

Dallas 12 - San Francisco 19 (7 point difference)

J. Garoppolo
SF

J. Garoppolo

16-25, 172 YDS, 1 INT
D. Prescott
DAL

D. Prescott

23-43, 254 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing Yards
E. Mitchell
SF

E. Mitchell

27 CAR, 96 YDS, 1 TD
E. Elliott
DAL

E. Elliott

12 CAR, 31 YDS
Receiving Yards
B. Aiyuk
SF

B. Aiyuk

5 REC, 66 YDS
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3117256/dalton-schultz
D. Schultz
DAL

D. Schultz

89 yards

Dallas 17 - San Francisco 23 (6 point difference)

An analysis:

The Arizona game found the Dallas on the level of a beginning training camp level of cohesion and execution. A fluke as it occurred then.

The San Francisco loss, the team rhythms were in array and momentum was not overcome, but this team has settled back recently. The Cowboys are in growth again and have a strength of the team over the previous 2 seasons and strongly improving right now.

The Eagles game saw Dallas in the middle of the action. The Cowboys could have won it on any of 3 specific plays.

At present, the Cowboys are tied for 3rd in the NFC, which should starting this week, start improving from that point. Whether one is rooting for a negative or not!

At the very least, the team deserves consideration and are growing at the same time...
Copy and paste much? I couldn't get past the first paragraph.