Jerry on Linehan: Why would I put a statement out when we might have an opportunity next week?

khiladi

Reaction score
For Garrett, Jerry says that two weeks ago, Jason would be a candidate for five head coaching positions. Ironically, he didn’t say that for Linehan two weeks ago.

People don’t get it.. Jerry will protect Jason at all costs..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If we can just replace Linehan all of our dreams can come true.

Only if Jerry forces Garrett to hire an innovative offensive coordinator and gives that person full control of the offensive scheme.

bark

Reaction score
I said earlier that I think Garrett was maybe running interference for SL to get through the Senior Bowl, since that’s where coaches so often find opportunities. They’ve done that before with coaches. But it doesn’t look like Jerry gives much of a rip in this case.

Even Dak mentioned in his end of year comments something about coach turnover. Might have been nothing, but it might have been something. Coupled with Linehan leaving after the game without talking to the press, I think something’s up.
I think they are giving Scott a chance to save face here. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an announcement in the next few days saying Scotty has resigned to pursue opportunity X

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What did Dak say? I missed it. Care to explain?

It was just an oblique reference to change after a season. He added coaches as an afterthought. It was probably nothing, or maybe a reference to Richard’s situation. But it does seem like Linehan has been awfully quiet since. I wonder if he didn’t know he was probably coaching the Rams game for his job. And if he knew, I guess it’s possible he’d tell Dak.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they are giving Scott a chance to save face here. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an announcement in the next few days saying Scotty has resigned to pursue opportunity X

He’s probably making some calls, yeah.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I have heard Broaddus talk about how Jerry hates paying coaches to not coach for him, so his tactic is to tell them, "You might want to find another job." They don't know how to take that, so they go find another job. That way they technically quit and Jerry doesn't have to pay them.

Problem is, that might work for a TE coach or something, not an OC. And it works a lot better if you aren't in the playoffs and new coaching staffs are already settled.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did Brees make Payton or did Payton make Brees? I still don't know how a guy has Brees for 12 seasons and finishes 8-8 or worse in five of them.

"He's better than Garrett!" really doesn't mean much.

For me, it's because he could never find someone to get the defensive side of the ball figured out. But the offense has always been among the best in the league.

And as for who made who? Brees or Payton? I'd say it's both. Neither was the name they are now before they met the other. So I'd say each one helped the other a great deal in getting to where they are.

I can't find a definitive answer on Payton's current contract situation and any rumored out clauses anyway. I know he had one in his past contract, but I haven't seen anything confirming he does now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have heard Broaddus talk about how Jerry hates paying coaches to not coach for him, so his tactic is to tell them, "You might want to find another job." They don't know how to take that, so they go find another job. That way they technically quit and Jerry doesn't have to pay them.

Problem is, that might work for a TE coach or something, not an OC. And it works a lot better if you aren't in the playoffs and new coaching staffs are already settled.

It seems to be an awful way of handling business when it doesn't cost you against your cap.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It wasn't a choice between Payton and Garrett. We would have had to fire Parcells to keep Payton.

At that point, it was obvious to some of us Payton had surpassed Parcells..

And some of us advocated for Payton to become head coach.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Bob Stoops is mulling coming out of retirement to coach again. That's why I think Jerry could change his mind. Its a longshot,but Jerry has been talking to him.
In what capacity? To take over for JG or OC? Im all for it if Jerry can get it done.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Meanwhile in K.C. :lmao2:
HWAhi8K.jpg

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At that point, it was obvious to some of us Payton had surpassed Parcells..

And some of us advocated for Payton to become head coach.

Was that really clear, or is that hindsight talking? Payton's last season in Dallas the Cowboys were 15th in the league in scoring, and 13th in the league in yardage, and the year before they were 25th in the league in scoring and 14th in yardage. Perhaps there were a few people that had a personal belief Payton was better than those rankings would indicate, but I doubt it was truly clear to anyone that Payton had surpassed Parcells at that point.