Twitter: Jerry on NFL Network

cowboyed

Reaction score
This is true, although, if Andy performs better than Dak in preseason, Dak's bargaining power could suffer. Then, all bets are off. ;)

Pre-season is not quite regular season. Dalton will be a great backup quarterback for our team until a starting offer comes around to his liking. I think he is putting more priority into his family and Texas is home base.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry and Stephen talk like Dak is big in the plans publicly, but they're getting tired of the BS.

By being so complementary in public, it makes Dak and his agent look like the problem.

Truth is, I think they already feel like they're overpaying, and they're frustrated that Dak doesn't see that.
100% speculation on your part.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Cowboys are in the right, based on precedent. Dak's peers have signed contracts that dictate largely what Dak should get. He's wanting something outside that box.

The guaranteed money for Dak is roughly the same as Goff and Wentz (maybe a little low but likely would be increased if Dak gave in on years).

The years matter quite a bit, which is why most teams do what the Eagles and Rams did......... adding the extensions onto the back end of the remaining years of their rookie deals. The years allow more flexibility with the cap. I mean you state cap hell is a myth and part of that reason is that teams create contracts that allow them to shift cap hits to future years. That's why Dallas wants a 5 year deal, not a 4 year one. So in one hand you are arguing that cap hell is a myth but then apparently completely ignore or don't realize why cap hell can be a myth - the way teams structure contracts.

No, if Dak signs a long term deal the Cowboys cannot cut him at any time unless they want to take on a massive dead money hit. They could only realistically cut him near the end of his extension when the dead money hits is lower or goes away.

Business doesn't dictate Dak's market value as determined by his agent. What if his agents think he's worth $200MM? You think that's fair? Of course not. No, Dak's market value is determined by what the market would pay him and that's often dictated by the contracts of his peers. In this case, his peers are Wentz and Goff who both signed extensions that were essentially 6 year contracts. There's the market. Dak wants more than that.

Your analogy is that of someone trying to rationalize not paying Prescott any more than what you think is the right amount. Market values change every year. Market values go up every year. Comparing what other players signed in previous years with previous market values is not really comparing things equally. In today's NFL most players are signing shorter contracts to be able sign more and then to make more in the long run of their careers. Those that have signed longer contracts the past couple of years, most have a year where the team or player can void out the remaining years of that contract, usually after the 3rd year. When you asked if Prescott's agent decided he was worth 200 mil, in the past there have been agents that have pushed way beyond what is reasonable and the players have decided that the agent isn't looking out for the player as much as he was trying to make more money for themselves and have been fired and replaced with another agent and contracts would get signed. There have also been times that in the same case the player told his agent to accept the offer made by the team or get fired. Players often say they stay out of the negotiations and leave that for their agents but that sometimes only lasts so long and then they get involved.

I believe every player has the right to get as much money as they can. They are the ones that are actually putting themselves out there every play risking getting a permanent type of injury. I also believe both player and team are free to use whatever is in the current CBA to their advantage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What can I say, you are misinformed as usual. You going to believe the repots that he wants 40 million also?

/dak-prescott-knows-he-wont-be-highest-paid-qb-doesnt-feel-like-he-can-ask-for-that
Yes, I am believing those reports his demand will make him the highest paid QB in the league. Not necessarily 40 million.

And you need to learn to attach a link that can be opened.

FYI... I searched it out and only found links to blogging the boys and Cowboyszone which are Fans opinion site. But I wanted to be fair and provide them. And this most current one is from Sept 2019 well before the current deals were rejected by Dak

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-paid-qb-doesnt-feel-like-he-can-ask-for-that

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes, I am believing those reports.

And you need to learn to attach a link that can be opened. Otherwise Im assuming it’s not viable.

Cant attach its from a link we aren't allowed to post. Blogging if you want to read it.

Just trying to educate you. Doesn't work usually. Don't worry, Im not a liar. Like some people we know.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
There are two things that are clear:
- Dak and Jerry do not agree on Dak's worth at this time
- Jerry doesn't want to burn bridges by being negative publicly

Outside of that, its all speculation.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I’ve seen no such quotes or reports that Dak isn’t pursuing what would make him the highest paid QB regardless of what he said. Actions speak louder than Words.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-prescott-richest-contract-in-league-history/

Prescott has been quoted as saying that he's not looking to be the highest paid QB in the league and has said it a couple of times. Jones in the past has said when asked about what he's offered a player he has said I don't negotiate through the media so all of the articles where some sportswriter states this or that I find extremely hard to believe that now Jones is giving particulars of negotiations to a reporter.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your analogy is that of someone trying to rationalize not paying Prescott any more than what you think is the right amount. Market values change every year. Market values go up every year. Comparing what other players signed in previous years with previous market values is not really comparing things equally. In today's NFL most players are signing shorter contracts to be able sign more and then to make more in the long run of their careers. Those that have signed longer contracts the past couple of years, most have a year where the team or player can void out the remaining years of that contract, usually after the 3rd year. When you asked if Prescott's agent decided he was worth 200 mil, in the past there have been agents that have pushed way beyond what is reasonable and the players have decided that the agent isn't looking out for the player as much as he was trying to make more money for themselves and have been fired and replaced with another agent and contracts would get signed. There have also been times that in the same case the player told his agent to accept the offer made by the team or get fired. Players often say they stay out of the negotiations and leave that for their agents but that sometimes only lasts so long and then they get involved.

I believe every player has the right to get as much money as they can. They are the ones that are actually putting themselves out there every play risking getting a permanent type of injury. I also believe both player and team are free to use whatever is in the current CBA to their advantage.
While I agree players are free to negotiate as much as the market will beat the only comparisons we can draw are other peers who have contracts. And the ones most recently signed last year are the closet comparisons.

I also would argue we as fans can draw these criticisms with these comparisons.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Prescott has been quoted as saying that he's not looking to be the highest paid QB in the league and has said it a couple of times. Jones in the past has said when asked about what he's offered a player he has said I don't negotiate through the media so all of the articles where some sportswriter states this or that I find extremely hard to believe that now Jones is giving particulars of negotiations to a reporter.

It’s a nice sound bite to actually say that. I’m not denying he did but if he’s refusing a contract that doesn’t make him the highest paid QB what conclusions are you drawing?

These reports are all we have to base our opinions on. It’s the same opinions that are being drawn by sports writers and insiders much closer to the situation than any of us are.

Jerry and Stephen have acknowledged these alleged offers were made and hey are sticking to their offer. How much more viable a report do we need?

All of these reports are from our most credible source in Dallas. The paper were unable to link. But you’re free to browse yourself.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
While I agree players are free to negotiate as much as the market will beat the only comparisons we can draw are other peers who have contracts. And the ones most recently signed last year are the closet comparisons.

I also would argue we as fans can draw these criticisms with these comparisons.

Yes users can say what they want but that does not make what they say right. Comparing what was the top dollars one year knowing that those prices rise every year really isn't comparing apples to apples. If market values and contracts amounts didn't rise every year then comparing what a player signed for in a different year would be adding apples to apples but market values and contract amounts go up every year.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It’s a nice sound bite to actually say that. I’m not denying he did but if he’s refusing a contract that doesn’t make him the highest paid QB what conclusions are you drawing?

These reports are all we have to base our opinions on. It’s the same opinions that are being drawn by sports writers and insiders much closer to the situation than any of us are.

Jerry and Stephen have acknowledged these alleged offers were made and hey are sticking to their offer. How much more viable a report do we need?

All of these reports are from our most credible source in Dallas. The paper were unable to link. But you’re free to browse yourself.

The ONLY reports I've seen that actually quotes either Jerry or Stephen on actual contracts offered are that they stated they offered the franchise tag which anyone can figure out what that will pay for the 2020 season and the contract offered to Prescott at the start of the 2019 season for 31 mil fir 5 years where Prescott rejected that and said he wouldn't negotiate during the season so he can concentrate solely on football. I've not seen any other direct quotes from either Jones' about any other offers that may have been made. I've seen a ton of sportswriters SPECULATE about offers and I've seen a lot of users here treat those speculations as facts, but no direct quotes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The ONLY reports I've seen that actually quotes either Jerry or Stephen on actual contracts offered are that they stated they offered the franchise tag which anyone can figure out what that will pay for the 2020 season and the contract offered to Prescott at the start of the 2019 season for 31 mil fir 5 years where Prescott rejected that and said he wouldn't negotiate during the season so he can concentrate solely on football. I've not seen any other direct quotes from either Jones' about any other offers that may have been made. I've seen a ton of sportswriters SPECULATE about offers and I've seen a lot of users here treat those speculations as facts, but no direct quotes.
Remember this is an opinion driven forum. And many of our opinions are drawn from opinions and speculations. Much like those of us who are disputing and discussing. I wouldn’t assume any opinion presented on these forums as factual.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Remember this is an opinion driven forum. And many of our opinions are drawn from opinions and speculations. Much like those of us who are disputing and discussing. I wouldn’t assume any opinion presented on these forums as factual.

I'm not saying that you believe the speculation reports are true facts, but some to many do act like they do and when discussing things they use those speculations like facts and then think they are winning discussions. Some or many of those that believe those speculations as facts never admit that all they are is speculations and mean nothing,.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes users can say what they want but that does not make what they say right. Comparing what was the top dollars one year knowing that those prices rise every year really isn't comparing apples to apples. If market values and contracts amounts didn't rise every year then comparing what a player signed for in a different year would be adding apples to apples but market values and contract amounts go up every year.
Of course. I’ll reiterate what I said above that this is an opinion based forum. All we can do is present and argue our opinions.

Now if they come off as believing so strongly in our opinions or others that they are factual or true then everyone will need to sort that out amongst themselves.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not saying that you believe the speculation reports are true facts, but some to many do act like they do and when discussing things they use those speculations like facts and then think they are winning discussions. Some or many of those that believe those speculations as facts never admit that all they are is speculations and mean nothing,.
I understand but that’s all part of the presentation and debate. We often do present what we believe to be true. Normal human instinct.

GMO415

Reaction score
Uh Jerry you should do that with just about every QB