Jerry on the radio this morning

waldoputty

Reaction score
Even worse yet, if he skips out until week 10, between lost salary and fines, he would be coming back and risking injury playing the final six games for less than $1 million. That's just dumb.

this game of chicken makes no sense for zeke as the downside should far outweigh the upside.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Then I highly recommend that you stop watching and following the team altogether. Why would you continue to do so?

You are very convincing; I think I should now root for the Skins. I highly recommend you stay on point.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
The Cowboys wont do anything until they lose games. Jerry will stir the pot to keep everybody talking but the second they lose a game he'll be writing a check

rynochop

Reaction score
Holding out is plenty hardball. And of course Jerry doesn't want to play the Giants without Zeke, but his agent isn't asking for top three money (for now), he is asking for clear best overall money. Over the course of the contract that amount of money could be the difference between signing or losing a guy like Byron Jones or Amari Cooper.
They aren't losing Cooper..heck if I was him I'd hold out for every nickel I could get. He has them over a barrel with giving up a first for him

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know it's fun to talk about and all, but how many good players are going to miss a game or two this season due to injury? Compare the signal to the noise of the Zeke holdout to what we'd get if, say, Tryon Smith misses three games again with a tight back or whatever. That's the scale of the impact we're talking about here. We're going to have tens of games lost by good players (if not more, knock on @Wood). Zeke sitting a game or two seems like a bigger deal, because it's maybe an avoidable impasse, but in the scheme of things, it's not a huge issue.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Zeke is under contract so of course he will be blamed. It's his fault.

I agree, but not everyone thinks that same way as evidenced by posters here. I just meant that I think enough people see the situation for what it is that Jerry won't blamed.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Not having zeke will make them focus on passing w these scrub tes and that only works against or division rivals. Zeke isnt setting the world on fire at scoring so its imperative the team leans on others to do that and Pollard and some of these wrs can help. Im tired of the 1 back system anyways. If its not gonna be a tandem w zeke and pollard then we'll never have the best rb core in the league anyways

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I don't think Jerry is flinching this time

It's hard to argue with that logic. If Zeke doesn't honor his 1st contract and the signature he applied to it, what says he'll honor the 2nd one?
The Cowboys were expecting a contract in another year, but Zeke put the screws to their schedule when he pulled his Cabo act 2 years early instead of 1 like they expected.
If Zeke had waited another year and then Jerry hesitated, it would've made Jerry look like the bad guy. But the way Zeke did this, it backfired on him. I don't blame Jerry a bit for not flinching. He tried to deal with Zeke but Zeke was too stupid to get along.

CB61

Reaction score
Did anybody read ******** article where Jerry Jones flings more Pooh at Ezekiel Elliott?

The article starts out saying with the feeble elbowed skin statue Jerry Jones has ramped up his extended Pr campaign against hold out Ezekiel Elliott

I laughed my rear off so hard I was crying I've never heard him called that I wish I'd a thought of that

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Let's talk leverage.

Zeke's leverage is team performance. If he holds out and causes losses, that hurts Jerry's hope of having a great team. If the team starts slowly, Zeke might be able to squeeze more money out of Jerry.

Jerry has a ton of leverage though. Zeke isn't on a franchise tag. He is on a contract for two more years. Week one, Zeke loses $500K or so and every week after that. Beyond that, there is a really good offer on the table. I'm not sure what the difference is between taking that deal versus not playing at all but it might be close to $800K per week. If the team wins without Zeke, Jerry could outright pull that offer and it would kind of expose Zeke to the rest of the NFL as expendable. The monetary losses could be epic.

Zeke is going to get, at most $10m over 5 yrs more out of Jerry by holding out. The amount of money and prestige he could lose from this hold out far exceeds that. He must be EXTREMELY confident that Dallas will fall on its face without him.

OTOH, Jerry seems to just woken up to the idea that he is holding most of the cards here and that Zeke was trying to take advantage of his good will.

CB61

Reaction score
Not sure I would have to look that one up I know he was up there in yards when that happened
He was only the NFL rushing leader in 1998 look at Wikipedia does not mention what year is the Super Bowl where only showing that Super Bowl 32, 33

Buzzbait

Reaction score
This is awesome! Don't let Zeke hold this team hostage. They made a fair offer.

I totally agree Big_D. Like you said, the Cowboys made a fair offer and Zeke wanted none of it. Zeke's trying to strong-arm Jerry, and Jerry would be really foolish to let him get away with it.

CB61

Reaction score
He was only the NFL rushing leader in 1998 look at Wikipedia does not mention what year is the Super Bowl where only showing that Super Bowl 32, 33
Super Bowl 32 was 1998 but sometimes those years carryover as far as rushing leader weird how they do that

Coy

Reaction score
A couple of his lines stood out to me that Jerry said...

1. There hasn't been a team win the Superbowl with the leagues leading rusher since we did it.

2. We've had Zeke for 3 years and we didn't win a Superbowl.

He also said that they think they are better prepared to attack teams through the air when they take Zeke away. (That's is actually embarrassing that an NFL team wasn't more prepared for this anyways)

Jerry is dug in right now so whatever leverage anyone thought Zeke had by sitting out it doesn't seem to matter to the team.

Edit: He was on Ben and Skin BTW.. I should probably mention that

He better hope we start 3-0 against three of the worst teams in the NFL (I think we will) because if not, this will be mentioned in every sports network in the US and the sound bite won`t sound so good. Boom or bust I guess.