Jerry on the radio this morning

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't see it that way at all. He's reportedly been offered Gurley $s. What's another 5 mill overall on top of that? Chump change.

I'm not saying 5 Million over 5 years, I'm saying 5 Million per season.

And Gurley's contract is misleading, the two years after he signed his extension he had cap hits almost exactly what Zeke will count if he plays out his current contract (his cap hit this year is only 9 MIlloin) Gurley got a 21 Million dollar bonus but the next two years where the big money kicks in have about 40% of the money in roster bonuses that he concievably may not hit, then the Rams have an option to end the deal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He’s the owner and the GM of the most valuable franchise in the world. He has made this team as valuable at it Is by doing exactly what he is doing. Why should he shut up? This is a ton of media exposure for the Cowboys. Regardless of how it turns out, everyone in the sports world is talking about The Cowboys. This is the genius of Jerry Jones. By talking, he has taken every bit of Zekes leverage and threw it in the trash. The fans are on Jerrys side. If the Boys beat NY without Zeke, the Zeke hate will grow expediently. At that point Even if he does sign, Fans will never support him like they have.

I can believe that Jerry and Zeke already have the contract signed and Jerry is just playing it for eyeballs. And the contract contains an NDA so Zeke can't talk.

Eyeballs. Jerry knows how to get them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Talent matters in this league. Anyone who doesn’t believe we are not only a better team with Elliott but a more serious contender must have other agendas? Lol

It’s not about that.

It’s about handing out a stupid contract to a proven knucklehead that has 2 years left on his deal when there is a salary cap.

starfan1

Reaction score
He’s the owner and the GM of the most valuable franchise in the world. He has made this team as valuable at it Is by doing exactly what he is doing. Why should he shut up? This is a ton of media exposure for the Cowboys. Regardless of how it turns out, everyone in the sports world is talking about The Cowboys. This is the genius of Jerry Jones. By talking, he has taken every bit of Zekes leverage and threw it in the trash. The fans are on Jerrys side. If the Boys beat NY without Zeke, the Zeke hate will grow expediently. At that point Even if he does sign, Fans will never support him like they have.

perhaps! I think the fans outside of big OSU fans and small faction of Dak haters already soured on him because of off field stupidity. Then the hold out itself made things worse I am not sure Jerry has needed to do as much PR work as he has but I get it. Im on jerrys side here as well but once hes back in the fold and runs for about 180 Ill find some forgiveness lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
By talking, he has taken every bit of Zekes leverage and threw it in the trash.

This is what the anti-Zekers desperately want to be true but it isn't. Zeke's leverage is not just the threat of a holdout while real games go on but that the Cowboys perform poorly without him. You have to play games for that to happen or not. Zeke's leverage reaches its apex and increases or decreases as the team sets foot on the field without him. The fans are always on the owners' side in contract negotiations in all sports whether there's a salary cap or not. I know what that's about. Players realize this and don't give 2 shakes what fans think of them. They're going to get theirs and then wipe their tears from fans' slings and arrows with crispy $20 bills. So fan sentiment matters very little, unless they're anxious ninnies who need to be liked by others. Alphas don't tend to need that. Spectators appear to though.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I'm not saying 5 Million over 5 years, I'm saying 5 Million per season.

And Gurley's contract is misleading, the two years after he signed his extension he had cap hits almost exactly what Zeke will count if he plays out his current contract (his cap hit this year is only 9 MIlloin) Gurley got a 21 Million dollar bonus but the next two years where the big money kicks in have about 40% of the money in roster bonuses that he concievably may not hit, then the Rams have an option to end the deal.

That's exactly what we are looking at with Zeke. It is an extension and a reworking of his current final two years.

But you are actually incorrect about Gurley. The 19 and 20 salaries and roster bonus became fully guaranteed on 3/5/19. Practically, the there was no out for the Rams as the structure of the deal would have hit the Rams with 34 mill in dead cap. Practically, I don't see the point in having the guarantees hit six months after the deal is signed because they would decimate their cap by cutting him.

All that remains in bonus money are 5 mill in 21 and a couple of measly 1 mill bonus years in 21 and 22. He got 22 mill at signing last year and 18 mill guaranteed this year. So that's a solid 40 mill in guarantees that he's gonna earn.

Practically, the Rams can get out of the deal after 2021. Like every deal, they all boil down to 3 year deals with team options.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Talent matters in this league. Anyone who doesn’t believe we are not only a better team with Elliott but a more serious contender must have other agendas? Lol

Elliot has to come back for the back half of the season to get an accrued season. Jerry has always had the "just get us to the big dance" mentality. If he thinks Pollard can be a credible starter, it's reasonable to explore that first than extend Zeke.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Obviously you knowledge of Dallas Cowboy history is pretty ******. I enjoyed the 1996 Super Bowl title.

Point received, I forgot about them thwarting the Squealers efforts to win number six.

Now that you've proven me wrong on that point, what about since that time?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A couple of his lines stood out to me that Jerry said...

1. There hasn't been a team win the Superbowl with the leagues leading rusher since we did it.

2. We've had Zeke for 3 years and we didn't win a Superbowl.

He also said that they think they are better prepared to attack teams through the air when they take Zeke away. (That's is actually embarrassing that an NFL team wasn't more prepared for this anyways)

Jerry is dug in right now so whatever leverage anyone thought Zeke had by sitting out it doesn't seem to matter to the team.

Edit: He was on Ben and Skin BTW.. I should probably mention that

Zeke's ONLY leveridge Jones has taken away. Jerry should just come out and add that they plan was NOT for Zeke to carry the ball 390 times a year anymore. It was too much work. They want to keep him below 300 range in carries. That would take away even more leverage that its going to be more of a committee approach then in the past. He will no longer have to shoulder all the load. Therefore he wont be such a work horse.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
A couple of his lines stood out to me that Jerry said...

1. There hasn't been a team win the Superbowl with the leagues leading rusher since we did it.

2. We've had Zeke for 3 years and we didn't win a Superbowl.

He also said that they think they are better prepared to attack teams through the air when they take Zeke away. (That's is actually embarrassing that an NFL team wasn't more prepared for this anyways)

Jerry is dug in right now so whatever leverage anyone thought Zeke had by sitting out it doesn't seem to matter to the team.

Edit: He was on Ben and Skin BTW.. I should probably mention that
Thanks, Catch!
Zeke now knows his leveredge is next to nothing.
Pollard, get your helmet!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know it's fun to talk about and all, but how many good players are going to miss a game or two this season due to injury? Compare the signal to the noise of the Zeke holdout to what we'd get if, say, Tryon Smith misses three games again with a tight back or whatever. That's the scale of the impact we're talking about here. We're going to have tens of games lost by good players (if not more, knock on @Wood). Zeke sitting a game or two seems like a bigger deal, because it's maybe an avoidable impasse, but in the scheme of things, it's not a huge issue.

Pollard makes it less so. And certainly the improvement of the passing game and the confidence in the new OC to make a difference.

Gaede

Reaction score
It’s not about that.

It’s about handing out a stupid contract to a proven knucklehead that has 2 years left on his deal when there is a salary cap.

How many games did DLaw miss in his first three seasons?

Zeke has only missed 6 and was fit and active and productive for the rest. Fans and media amplify every little thing he does--he's an easy story--when guys like DLaw aren't exactly Mr. Reliable and still get their big deals.

People also forget that Zeke is a very smart person who comes from a good family. It's very likely he grows out of his immaturity, as most do

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Just trade Zeke for Clowney. Imagine dlaw,m. Collins,Clowney and Quinn all at once......yes please
Sounds nice on paper...
yet, I think Zeke will flourish here or somewhere. clowney will rehab part of the T me and take plays off....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Thanks, Catch!
Zeke now knows his leveredge is next time nothing.
Pollard, get your helmet!!!

Seriously...........If Zeke has a deal on the table for slightly less than Gurley then he is just dumb not to take it. At this point its just an ego thing for him. The fan base has pretty much turned on him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Zeke has only missed 6 and was fit and active and productive for the rest. Fans and media amplify every little thing he does--he's an easy story--when guys like DLaw aren't exactly Mr. Reliable and still get their big deals.

People also forget that Zeke is a very smart person who comes from a good family. It's very likely he grows out of his immaturity, as most do

Top 5 pass rushing DE types are much more valuable than a RB pal. Thats just common sense. AND.............Dlaw didnt have two years left on his contract. His contract was up and all they had was the threat of the franchise tag. Lawrence also isnt a dunken idiot waiting to happen.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Zeke is a very smart person? LOL

I think its VERY obvious that its the opposite.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
If we fail to beat a terrible giants team without him all bets are off.

Honestly, I would be surprised if we beat the Giants. My gut feeling is that the team is distracted in general, and as much as we want to say preseason means nothing, the offense has not looked very sharp.

I see nothing unique or different from the Linehan playbook. Even Amari Cooper said he would be prepared because he is running the same routes. Moore has a lot to prove, but my hopes are not high he will succeed.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Jerry sounded like he was hitting the bottler during the entire interview.